WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bed bugs !!!

Default Bed bugs !!!

Hikers beware of the bed bug infestation at the Buena Vista Motel in Buena Vista ,Va. I stayed there on June 7, 2016 and ended up at Urgent Care Clinic a few days later for treatment for bed bug bites that left my left eye completely swollen shut and so many bites on my feet that I was unable to wear shoes due to their number! Needless to say it was a hike ending event!
    FYI

Journal Entries

Wow.

I always do a once over at seedy locations. Look at mattress, under its edges, behind headboard, behind pictures on the wall, etc.
    Ive slept in clothing on top of bed before for ~3 hrs with lights on, and then left

Muddy I pulled back the sheets and checked the mattress ( didn't know about pictures and etc) and didn't see any signs of bugs. The comforter and blanket were disgusting so I took them off and used my quilt for cover! I can't tell you how freaked out I was when I woke the next morning with a bed littered with bugs and blood stains . My blood!
    I'm afraid to bring my gear into my home in spite of treating everything with permethrin. As of now my pack and gear are being stored in a garbage bag in my garage!
    To makes matters worse the motel never even offered to reimburse me for the room. I'm pursuing this now!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    Muddy I pulled back the sheets and checked the mattress ( didn't know about pictures and etc) and didn't see any signs of bugs. The comforter and blanket were disgusting so I took them off and used my quilt for cover! I can't tell you how freaked out I was when I woke the next morning with a bed littered with bugs and blood stains . My blood!
    I'm afraid to bring my gear into my home in spite of treating everything with permethrin. As of now my pack and gear are being stored in a garbage bag in my garage!
    To makes matters worse the motel never even offered to reimburse me for the room. I'm pursuing this now!

If possible, please contact the local health department and let them know as well.

I agree; Don't bring any of your gear into your house. I've had to rid my house of bedbugs once years ago and it is a miserable experience.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

One possible solution for your gear is to seal it in a garbage bag with a couple of Nuvan strips and leave it for a week.

https://www.amazon.com/Nuvan-ProStri.../dp/B0073ZOOQ6

I've contacted the health dept. Hopefully they will address the situation.

Thanks for the tip regarding the Nuvan strips! I placed an order from Amazon and they should arrive Tuesday!

Journal Entries

Fortunately they dont transmit any diseases, they are mostly a gross annoyance.
    Theres a few good videos on Youtube of how to spot infestations and signs.

Its hard to believe, but there are people that just live with severe infestations of them...either too poor to call exterminator, or spending $ on drugs, etc.

Theres someone that makes a noseeum bug net to be slept in hotel rooms, forget who, for this reason. I travel a lot, spend 100-200 nights per year in hotel rooms for work...but nicer ones, and no problems yet.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-19-2016 at 18:08.

I had bed bugs once so I know they are horrible. If your garage has ever gotten to 115 degrees you should be in the clear on your gear.

If not you can put the bag in your car for a few hours. It should get that hot fast.

I used heat to finally get rid of bed bugs.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I had bed bugs once so I know they are horrible. If your garage has ever gotten to 115 degrees you should be in the clear on your gear.

If not you can put the bag in your car for a few hours. It should get that hot fast.

I used heat to finally get rid of bed bugs.
    Sorry Grace - no that won't work. it 135° not 115 and the hold time is 5 hours with convection fans. I have found live BB after 4 hours. Heat is the preferred method and done right it does work. Once its turned off? it's still possible for the bugs to survive. Yes we have cleared Tractor Trailers and cars on a rare basis.

Also do not blame the motel - they were clean once... most of them have no idea at first what the bugs look like and some other person brought them in.

Sarcasm is right Buy some clear garbage bags put the stuff in that cannot be washed and dried. using gloves put the strips in with the plastic protectors ( WHY?) Vapona - the fumigant can discolor objects that come in direct contact. Wait 4-5 days. put on full gloves & respirator and take the bags out side and open them and dispose of everything you don't need. Do not inhale. I mean it. This is a restricted use and dangerous product.

Clothing - just wash and dry - BB cannot tread water, drown and cannot handle the heat of the dryer... it decontaminates clothing... DO not apply any pesticides to bed sheets or clothing...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    Wow.. that's one of the more harrowing trail stories I've heard as of late. Sorry that your hike ended because of this.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Sorry Grace - no that won't work. it 135° not 115 and the hold time is 5 hours with convection fans. I have found live BB after 4 hours. Heat is the preferred method and done right it does work. Once its turned off? it's still possible for the bugs to survive. Yes we have cleared Tractor Trailers and cars on a rare basis.

Also do not blame the motel - they were clean once... most of them have no idea at first what the bugs look like and some other person brought them in.

Sarcasm is right Buy some clear garbage bags put the stuff in that cannot be washed and dried. using gloves put the strips in with the plastic protectors ( WHY?) Vapona - the fumigant can discolor objects that come in direct contact. Wait 4-5 days. put on full gloves & respect irator and take the bags out side and open them and dispose of everything you don't need. Do not inhale. I mean it. This is a restricted use and dangerous product.

Clothing - just wash and dry - BB cannot tread water, drown and cannot handle the heat of the dryer... it decontaminates clothing... DO not apply any pesticides to bed sheets or clothing...
    Sure would have been nice if the exterminator I hired had told me the info I underlined, this is the first I'm hearing of it. I was just told to wait a week, unpack the bags and throw out the strips. I did it all indoors without precautions.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am sure the person took the same classes and courses I took for licensing. Some in the industry are not the brightest bulbs in their trucks... Don't be hard on yourself...

Here is the inside story, one person died that I know of in the 70's in Chicago. I think it was 7-11 strips hanging in a 10x10 bedroom (From Memory) and he went to bed.

http://www.wired.com/2014/01/cdc-war...e-pest-strips/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichlorvos
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Well then I dont know how I got rid of them. It was 105 degrees outside. We left and turned the air off. Came home 4 hours later.

Never saw another bedbug and its been 2 years. We live in a mobile home.

Prior to this I was spraying them with 90 percent alcohol every night. Multiple times per night.

++ New Posts ++