WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water Consumption Per Mile - Georgia Mid July

Hey Folks!

I will be hiking Springer Mountain to NC (Not sure yet where I will be ending yet). I was wondering how much water to carry. I understand that everyone is different. I also understand that I will need additional water for meals, etc. On the www.appalachiantrail.org site I had seen "at least 1 quart, and 2 to 3 quarts on longer hikes in hot weather" for a day hike. I do not know how many miles they are basing that off of. I plan to hike 10-15 miles per day.

Is there an average water consumption to mile guideline?

Can't wait to experience the AT!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypno_Guru View Post
    Hey Folks!

I will be hiking Springer Mountain to NC (Not sure yet where I will be ending yet). I was wondering how much water to carry. I understand that everyone is different. I also understand that I will need additional water for meals, etc. On the www.appalachiantrail.org site I had seen "at least 1 quart, and 2 to 3 quarts on longer hikes in hot weather" for a day hike. I do not know how many miles they are basing that off of. I plan to hike 10-15 miles per day.

Is there an average water consumption to mile guideline?

Can't wait to experience the AT!
    You answered your own question....twice.
    It varies based on weather , recent rain, and individual speed and fitness, and load carried.

Generally I plan 1 L every 5 miles.
    I often actually go 10 miles on 1 L or no L, drinking at sources in cooler weather.
    In very hot weather, 1L per mile is possible too on strenuous clumbs.

Generally you should have a source every 5-7 miles, at least. Thats 2-3 hrs for some, and all day for others.

Ive seen a few overweight people with large loads panicking over lack of water.
    Dont think anyone has died of dehydration on AT yet though.

Just carry 2 L and adjust from there. If you are slow and heavy, you might need another max. You might find one is plenty with recent rains.

4-6L total per day would be normal
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-21-2016 at 01:56.

Journal Entries
    Images

Muddy nailed it. I'll just add that you can easily get away with carrying 1L if you don't mind filling up from time to time. There's plenty of water along the AT and it's been dry as of late. I always carry about 1.5-1.8 because I'd rather not stop as often, and I like to be prepared in case I run across anyone else in need. Having said that, people are different, and while I can do 10-12 miles with 2L, I met others that need 4L or 6L. This is something you'll need to dial in for yourself.

If you plan to camp on mountain tops and other places not near a shelter or verified water source, you'll want to keep an eye out early and camel up about 2L extra at the most convenient source near your destination. Study your guide/app and make sure you're aware of where the water is between your start/end points. You'll be fine.

Images

Agree with both responses above.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the above. If you ever plan on a dry camp (unlikely and unneeded on the AT), you need to learn how much you require for that, too.

My "normal" consumption is 1 L per 10 miles, plus 1 L for each dry camp. (I've camped two nights between water sources on some desert hikes.) One blazing hot day on the AT climbing Bear Mt in New York, that went up to nearly 1 L per 2 miles. (And if you're drinking that much, you probable need to increase your salt intake.) There's quite a range for conditions.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

you can ask people you pass on the trail how the water sources are. If you have a doubtful one in the guide, people can reassure you so you can plan properly

you will use a lot more up hill for sure. If I start on a cool morning going downhill, flat or modest incline, I knock off several miles with little water. But the next stretch where it's warmed up a lot and it's uphill will be a different story!

so you'll figure out your own consumption rate pretty quickly, based on temp and incline. you can carry extra until you know!

Be aware north Georgia and western NC are currently in a moderte drought. Could be way worse by mid-July.

I generally have 6 liters of carrying capacity in the summer, and carry enough to get me to the next reliable water source, which will be determined by the weather and drought conditions. It will be very hot in Georgia in July, so be prepared to carry more water than you think you will need just in case.

I always carry two quarts...made a mistake once and really wished I had had two quarts...though most of the time I've only ever needed one. You can camel up every time you pass a water source and probably get away with carrying the minimum unless you have information that certain areas or water sources are dry. It also helps if you camp near water. You've got all the water you need for cooking and washing and you can rehydrate yourself in the evening and camel up in the morning before you leave.

I drink a LOT of water. I normally drink 3L/day just sitting in my office so on trail you can imagine I just pound it.

between my dirty water filter bag, Platypus, and Gatorade drink bottle, I have capacity to carry 6L, however, I rarely have more than 2L on me as I can replenish at every source.

start off with more than you think you need and soon you'll figure it out...

Use something like AWOL's AT Guide or Guthook's app so that you know how far it is to the next water. Then camel up (drink a lot) at a water source by treating water with a SteriPen or Sawyer Squeeze and carry just what you need to get to the next water. This might be nothing, or it might be (in rare sections) a couple liters. Water is heavy. Not carrying water is good. Always cook near water. Just my opinion.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

++ New Posts ++