WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 900 miles from July 10th - where to start and which direction?

Hi All,

We are long time readers and first time posters. My wife and I are taking time off from our jobs in the UK to walk part of the Appalachian Trail starting in July, likely around July 10th.

Our visas mean that we will have a total of 90 days in the U.S., so allowing for transit time either side, we feel something like 900 miles is appropriate (ie 60 15-mile days plus rest days and buffer.). We feel this should be enough of a challenge while allowing us to take our time and take zero days and take in life in the trail towns.

We are in our late twenties. We are both quite fit, run marathons and have done a fair bit of day hiking but have little backpacking and camping experience.

We are looking for people's advice on what stretch of the AT would be most appropriate from say 10th July until the end of September.

We think the options are...

1. NOBO from Delaware Water Gap to Katahdin; this starts with easy terrain but NJ/NY etc could be very warm in July.

2. SOBO from Katahdin to Delaware Water Gap. This is probably better weather wise (though bugs prominent we understand) but tough terrain to begin with and we hit the 100 mile wilderness before we've found a rhythm.

3. SOBO from Monson, ME (or similar) down to say Harpers Ferry. This fits weather-wise and avoids early difficulties but feels like we are wimping out a bit.

A NOBO hike starting further south seems like we wouldn't hit anywhere meaningful by the end and would just get more very hot weather.

Our original plan was to go with 1. but our start date has gone from June to July which has made us consider other options too.

Any help or experience appreciated. We are coming from the UK so can't quite get a feel for the different state climates!

Cheers
    Chris

I'm sure there will be lots of differing opinions on this. If I had to choose I would start at Katahdin and head south. If you are coming all the way from the UK you might as well experience the best of the trail. It's possible that you do not get to the northern terminus if you start at the Delaware gap. Having grown up in NY I know how terribly humid it can be down there in July. I live in Maine now and I would be happy to share thoughts on logistics. You will also find other SOBOs starting their trips around the same time. Good luck whichever path you choose. Have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

If it were me I would start around the CT\MA area. And plan for a bit more relaxed pace heading north.

++ New Posts ++