WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Stratospire, Notch or Protrail?

I am down to choosing between a Tarptent Stratospire 1, a Notch, or a ProTrail. I have been using a tarp but it needs replacing, and I have given thought to a tarp/bivy combo; I have enjoyed using a tarp the past few years, but I eventually found setting up it up every night to be a little tedious, and the head room isn't great when it is stormy. I mostly camp in the mountains in southeast, though not so much in the summer as the other three seasons. I will do a few trips out west such as the Sierras and Glacier, but not in the winter. I am not planning on doing any camping in serious, alpine winter conditions.

The Stratospire is apparently the most storm worthy, and looks like a great tent, but I am concerned about tight sites with limited staking, since it requires 6 stakes. The Notch only requires 4 stake and looks like a good compromise between the two, but the sleeping space is a little small based on my taping the outlines to the floor (I am 6'2", 190 pounds). The ProTrail looks good, if not quite as stormworthy, though I like how you can open the sides up on the other two.

Any suggestions from users out there would be appreciated!

Thanks--

I'm not a big fan of bivy sacks. Sometimes condensation is a problem. I do use sometimes but it's just better to use a bigger tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I'm not a big fan of bivy sacks. Sometimes condensation is a problem. I do use sometimes but it's just better to use a bigger tarp.
    I have a Notch. I'm 6'0" and 210 lbs for comparison. You are correct the floor footprint is tight. I fit along with my gear, but by the time I've unpacked. there isn't much gear left. I take advantage of the generous vestibules. That's what makes it useful for me.

The Notch is an excellent tent. I will never buy another front entry tent, so that immediately removes the ProTrail for me. Like Odd Man Out, I am approx 6' and 220lbs, and fit just fine in the Notch, although you may call it a little tight. I generally get my NeoAir regular in and put gear at either my foot or head (but not both), and put smaller stuff in the middle where the poles are. Pack goes under the vestibule off to one side and the rest (if any) gear goes outside as well.

The Stratospire offers a little more interior room for a 9oz penalty.

I have ONLY used front entry tents, so side entry is intriguing but not enough to seal the deal. Nice to hear you both fit in the Notch.

I've taken to hanging things from the poles of my Notch to free up floor space. I have a net bag on on pole that has all the little things I carry in my pockets. On the other pole I will hang a clothes bag. From the peak I will hang my headlamp. You can hang things on the outside (under the vestibule) too to keep them off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by RussC View Post
    I have ONLY used front entry tents, so side entry is intriguing but not enough to seal the deal. Nice to hear you both fit in the Notch.
    How about setting and striking in the rain while keeping the interior dry?

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

That is a very appealing feature.

I guess it makes two side entry doors and matching vestibules more appealing.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

We owned two Tarptent brand tents with the front entry, and disliked that feature rather a lot. That may be because they were 2- and 3-person tents, so crawling out over your partner's head was suboptimal. Might be better with a solo tent, I dunno.

I had a Moment, and loved it - gave it to a young friend for his Scouting hikes. He loves it. Incredibly fast and easy to set up, two stakes, lots of headroom and space inside. The side entry was great, though I wish that tent had a door on both sides.

So if I had to buy one of those tents right now, it would be the Notch. Two doors, two vestibules, tons of ventilation, quick setup. Yes, a little small on the inside, but once I lay out my pad and bag, I don't have a lot of gear to take up room inside, and what there is can go in a vestibule. (Disclosure: I don't actually own one of these, my solo tent is also our two-person long distance tent, a Hexamid Twin from Zpacks.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Bigcranky,
    The current Moment has dual doors and vestibules.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

I am down to choosing between a Tarptent Stratospire 1, a Notch, or a ProTrail. I have been using a tarp but it needs replacing, and I have given thought to a tarp/bivy combo; I have enjoyed using a tarp the past few years, but I eventually found setting up it up every night to be a little tedious, and the head room isn't great when it is stormy. I mostly camp in the mountains in southeast, though not so much in the summer as the other three seasons. I will do a few trips out west such as the Sierras and Glacier, but not in the winter. I am not planning on doing any camping in serious, alpine winter conditions.

The Stratospire is apparently the most storm worthy, and looks like a great tent, but I am concerned about tight sites with limited staking, since it requires 6 stakes. The Notch only requires 4 stake and looks like a good compromise between the two, but the sleeping space is a little small based on my taping the outlines to the floor (I am 6'2", 190 pounds). The ProTrail looks good, if not quite as stormworthy, though I like how you can open the sides up on the other two.

Any suggestions from users out there would be appreciated!

Thanks--
    Your concerns for site selection and setup on the SS1 are valid. I owned and sold a SS2 for that reason, the SS1 would be easier but it's still pretty large. A front entry tent is pain, IMO, but the ProTrail has a wide, tall opening so it would be better than others. The Notch might be a bit small.
    FWIW, having owned and sold 3 TT's, if I were to buy another it would be a Moment DW.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Bigcranky,
    The current Moment has dual doors and vestibules.

Wayne
    Sweet, thanks for letting me know. I had the original single wall Moment.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

At one time or another over the past few weeks, I have decided that at least 5 different Tarptents seemed like the one to buy, including the Moment DW. I like the adjustability of the interior, and apparently it is pretty stormworthy, though the panels seem prone to blowing around. I think part of my issue is that my brain doesn't understand how the half-circle in the middle turns into a triangle on the end without there being lots of loose fabric, but obviously that is part of the design and a mental weakness of mine. I use trekking poles so I am somewhat drawn to those tents. The ProTrail seems to have the fewest "moving parts" fwiw, and if I get the shorter rear pole, only needs one trekking pole for support.

If Tartptent only offered one tent, I am sure I would buy and not worry about it, but since they don't I am suffering from analysis paralysis.

Yeah, staring at web pages trying to figure out what's best for you is pretty frustrating. I am of the opinion that if you buy gear at a pretty good discount you can usually re-sale for little or no loss. Tarptent doesn't do a sale, at least not to my knowledge, but a tent in good shape holds it's value pretty well. The used gear forum here doesn't seem to get much activity, BPL.com's gear swap has had some used Tarptents from time to time. BPL seems to be more dominated by west coast hikers and the gear swap forum is pretty busy.

If Tartptent only offered one tent, I am sure I would buy and not worry about it, but since they don't I am suffering from analysis paralysis.
    Welcome to the club.
    In my case, I came to the conclusion that I won't buy any new gear until I wear out the current item.
    No doubt some will view this attitude as heresy.

Wayne

" I think part of my issue is that my brain doesn't understand how the half-circle in the middle turns into a triangle on the end without there being lots of loose fabric, but obviously that is part of the design and a mental weakness of mine."
    You are in fact correct, a half circle does not turn into a triangle or a boxed end without some trickery.
    Most manufacturers (possibly all) do it by relaying on uneven stretching of the fabric and that is why if you Google for images of this type of design you will see that they usually have very heavy wrinkles and "stretched" areas, including in the official photos.
    Henry Shires got around that problem by using two panels (cut in a particular way) per side and that is why when you see photos from folk that know how to set the Moment up correctly , the shelter is nice and taut.
    This is mine with a friend's Moment in the foreground :

I am 6-1 220 lbs. I have a Notch and like it. Enough room for me and the tapered Neoair (my rectangular Exped downmat is too big). There is enough room for your clothes bag by your head and something near your feet. I added a net gear loft from an old tent to the interior ridge for keeping small items - watch, glasses, headlamp, etc. Vestibules work well for gear storage, with enough room to get your boots on before opening if it is raining. One benefit is on hot nights I totally unclip the fly and just set up the netting - had to add two stakeout lines from the top ridge corners to do this. Works well. Hard to beat the weight.
    GDW

A wide and long mat will fit inside the Notch floor , just.
    It has to do with cutting corners (sort of..) but it does fit.
    This is a rectangular 25"x77" Nemo mat :

My thanks to Tristan Stewart for the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    A wide and long mat will fit inside the Notch floor , just.
    It has to do with cutting corners (sort of..) but it does fit.
    This is a rectangular 25"x77" Nemo mat :

My thanks to Tristan Stewart for the photo.
    Thanks. That's good to know. I always seem to be shopping for a better (and bigger) pad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++