WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tree Shelf

Default Tree Shelf

I have been thinking about making a tree shelf that would allow me to cook standing up or at least give me a flat sturdy surface so I could quit trying balance my stove on a curved rock or log. Problem is, I could not find a suitable material to build a tray sturdy enough without the weight offsetting the benefit of carrying the tray along in a backpack.

Then , I found out a friend of mine has a CNC machine and had some kind of material made of a thin piece of plastic sandwiched between two thin pieces of aluminum.

So I drew out my design and left the rest to him. Here's the end result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Oh, man, THAT IS SWEET!!! When do they go on sale?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

I hope you got a patent on that before you posted the photo! I'd buy that tomorrow. . . I couldn't make one. Clever idea, and good luck to you with your first million $$$'s.

Journal Entries

Brilliant! Here we were thinking that WB posters are just recycling the same old discussions over and over. Wow, something new and original!!

Images

Now that's almost as cool as the stump, complete with checkered tablecloth and candelabra, Bugs Bunny always manages to find. So, what's the going price for one? I want one!

We are backpackers. You'll have to market it as being multi-use. What other functions other than a cooking/prep shelf can it perform?

1. Camp fire fanner
    2. Sit pad

Serial Hiker
    Images

Tim at 2QZQ has a nice tree table here:
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/page22.html
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

I was just thinking of somthing that t could be multi use for! If you can make I at custom widths and a material that would spring a bit. it could be used to protect the water blader from crushing and punctures.

Don't know about multiuse, but it is reversible....

Images

Ticks like trees,

Smokeeater made different sizes.

smokeeater.JPG

I think it's great and would sell at a redo able price point. One critique though, make the bungee tree connection bomb proof to avoid the famed "McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit" from chuckle heads that shouldn't be cooking anyway and eating only pbj's on a hike. Other than that...start the presses. Good luck!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    We are backpackers. You'll have to market it as being multi-use. What other functions other than a cooking/prep shelf can it perform?

1. Camp fire fanner
    2. Sit pad
    Shower shelf for soap/shampoo
    End table for drinks
    Absolutely anything that requires a flat surface where there is none.
    Brilliant! I want one.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

so, at what point does weight offset utility?

i'm not a long distance/thru hiker. my backpacking trips are usually 1-2 nights. my call to action on this project came to me on a frosty january morning while sitting 20 foot up a tree in a climbing tree stand and i thought how great it would be to have a tray clamped on to the rail of my deer stand that would allow me to prepare hot chocolate and perhaps a pack of mountain house sweet and sour pork. the most remote spot on the property i hunt would require no more than a 4 mile round trip to the stand and back, so 11 more ounces is not a deal breaker for me.

when i was "designing" this thing i wanted enough surface space to hold my canister stove and pot, as wells as the container the food would be in (such as the mountain house packet). as of right now, my prototype is approximately 105-110 in. (8.5" x 13") of shelf space and weighs 320 grams(not including tree straps). it will slide neatly in my bladder pocket in my pack.

i'd like it to be lighter, but i'm concerned that removal of too much material would have a negative effect on rigidity.

is 320 grams a deal breaker?

Images

"At what point does weight offset utility?"

Anything above zero. I have yet to find a case where a rock or flat spot on the ground doesn't work. This is another thing to fiddle with regardless of the weight. But I am also way to the extreme on a simplistic gear setup. But based on the reaction from folks above there may be a more mainstream appeal.

one suggestion, kill the slot for the trekking pole, replace with small hole for tent stake or nail to be insert into the top of the trekking pole handle. I would also but the trekking pole tip against the tree to make a triangle. More stable and less likely to get hit.

Images

Just saw your 320g. That is WAY to heavy.

Images

Okay, here's a sheet-metal worker's take on the weight "problem": whereas a flat piece of metal is fairly flimsy, the moment you put any sort of crease or bend in it, the bend creates rigidity. So, if you add a short flange that runs around the edge of 3 of the sides (exclude the side that faces the tree), THEN you can proceed to PERFORATE the entire shelf (or just a part of it, as needed, to get down to your target weight). I'll expect my first check for, say, 20% of your total sales, within a few months!!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post

1. Camp fire fanner
    2. Sit pad
    Tree stand for hunting deer? Um squirrel jumping off platform? Hey, that trekking pole grip looks like it's melting.

Pretty ingenuous. Can I get one made from titanium and carbon fiber?

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    "At what point does weight offset utility?"

Anything above zero. I have yet to find a case where a rock or flat spot on the ground doesn't work. This is another thing to fiddle with regardless of the weight. But I am also way to the extreme on a simplistic gear setup. But based on the reaction from folks above there may be a more mainstream appeal....
    LOL. he he he. Can have printed on each side 'Hiker to Town' flipped over to read 'Hiker to Trail'....of course in UL paint.

I'd also, like to say, never not once was I not able get along with what was already naturally there... flat ground, stump, log, flat rock, beach sand, tree crotch...but I will not. Let Malto be known as the enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry.

Zelph, that's a lot of work, wt, complexity, and bulk for a muffin.

Fabricators at ZPacks are rolling on the floor right now in laughter. Glen VanPeski is in a tirade. BPL wonks are wondering how to make it lighter and measuring the coefficient of friction of various table top materials to construct this from.

Is there a winter version to take up to Mt Everest Base Camp? Was there are no tress at based camp. Never mind.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    LOL. he he he. Can have printed on each side 'Hiker to Town' flipped over to read 'Hiker to Trail'....of course in UL paint.

I'd also, like to say, never not once was I not able get along with what was already naturally there... flat ground, stump, log, flat rock, beach sand, tree crotch...but I will not. Let Malto be known as the enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry.

Zelph, that's a lot of work, wt, complexity, and bulk for a muffin.
    IT shall be known from this point forward.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++