WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sawyer's website says nothing about diluting, they have a video showing it being sprayed directly onto clothing.

The website also says the bottles contain .5% permethrin.

Journal Entries

Phew! So the end this silly thread... THANK YOU all for your comments and for not blasting me for not going on to the website myself. I did read the bottle directions, but all the dilution talk made me second guess myself. Thanks for all your help.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

This may have been posted before but the Dollar General sells a product called Hot Shot which is a .5% permethrin solution in a spray bottle for $3.50. It's advertised to protect against ticks, lice and some other critter. As far as I can see it's the same as the Sawyer spray just a hell of a lot cheaper. I'm not sure if it's sold in regular grocery type stores.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    This may have been posted before but the Dollar General sells a product called Hot Shot ...
    Interesting. I'll have to stop in there and check this out. Thanx for the tip.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

On Tuesday, May 31st I sent 4 garments ( 2 shirts, 1 pant, and 1 short) to Insectshield in Greensboro for treatment. I got the treated items back about an hour ago June 3rd. Included in the box was a coupon for 15% off any Insectshield product. Excellent service. Now we'll see if it works!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    On Tuesday, May 31st I sent 4 garments ( 2 shirts, 1 pant, and 1 short) to Insectshield in Greensboro for treatment. I got the treated items back about an hour ago June 3rd. Included in the box was a coupon for 15% off any Insectshield product. Excellent service. Now we'll see if it works!
    Thanks for that info 'The Old Chief'. I was expecting that they would take weeks. With luck, maybe we can send it away on Monday and get it back before the next weekend.

On Monday may 30th I sent 10 items to insect shield (socks,buff,shirts,pants, and shorts) they will not receive until today(ground shipping) got volume discount was $80ish including return shipping. Can't wait to get back. I'm in nwga

The Sawyer stuff works really good in my experience. I can also confirm meeting some Lyme disease patients and hearing their stories. You definitely don't want Lyme disease.

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    This may have been posted before but the Dollar General sells a product called Hot Shot which is a .5% permethrin solution in a spray bottle for $3.50. It's advertised to protect against ticks, lice and some other critter. As far as I can see it's the same as the Sawyer spray just a hell of a lot cheaper. I'm not sure if it's sold in regular grocery type stores.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    Alas, I am heading out on Friday, so I am doing the "spray at home in your basement" route.
    I'd do it outside on a still day or at least stay upwind when spraying.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

WARNING: My hiking partner in 2012 treated ALL her gear with this stuff and two weeks out had a RARE but violent skin reaction which made her VERY ill and sent her home for almost a month. She had purchased her gear at REI or would've been out of the GAME. This occurs in like 1% of 1% of the population however, when it happens it causes poison ivy like rashes, burning, swelling, nausea, and mild respiratory distress. Best test it out on something old for the first time before you paint your brand new Big Agnes with the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post
    WARNING: My hiking partner in 2012 treated ALL her gear with this stuff and two weeks out had a RARE but violent skin reaction which made her VERY ill and sent her home for almost a month. She had purchased her gear at REI or would've been out of the GAME. This occurs in like 1% of 1% of the population however, when it happens it causes poison ivy like rashes, burning, swelling, nausea, and mild respiratory distress. Best test it out on something old for the first time before you paint your brand new Big Agnes with the stuff.
    Good advice, but she actually returned her gear to REI due to something that she did to it? How was this REI's responsibility by any stretch of the imagination? If anything, it would be the permethrin manufacturer's responsibility if there was no general warning on the label, but ultimately it was her responsibility to test this beforehand.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank You - your post stood out... everyone needs to follow directions or send the clothing out. More is not better. These products have been heavily tested by manufactures, tested by the FDA, & registered over time by the EPA for your personal saftey.... if too many show up in a hospital - the EPA revises their findings and continues to restrict access to the general public.

From my own personal experience I followed the directions for Sawyer spray and then went ahead and did a "double layer on a sunny day and it dried on the hammock bottom really nice... a month later on a hot sweaty night I soaked in the product on my back and paid for it for a month... the itch that kept on giving... no regrets... just be careful folks. No way in hell would I do my underwear. Even after that personal post about ticks, -in the wrong place... if anyone remembers.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have never had a problem with permethrin and I've been using it for years. In the Army, we used to spray it on our clothing like insect repellent. After a few weeks, someone actually read the direction on the can...oops. Never had any adverse effects from it, as far as I know. Everyone is different and most people are probably reacting to the carrier solution. Some of it is petroleum solvent based.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank You - your post stood out... everyone needs to follow directions or send the clothing out. More is not better. These products have been heavily tested by manufactures, tested by the FDA, & registered over time by the EPA for your personal saftey.... if too many show up in a hospital - the EPA revises their findings and continues to restrict access to the general public.

From my own personal experience I followed the directions for Sawyer spray and then went ahead and did a "double layer on a sunny day and it dried on the hammock bottom really nice... a month later on a hot sweaty night I soaked in the product on my back and paid for it for a month... the itch that kept on giving... no regrets... just be careful folks. No way in hell would I do my underwear. Even after that personal post about ticks, -in the wrong place... if anyone remembers.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Your welcome for the info! Just because something never hurt you doesn't mean it can't. As you'll recall DDT, Agent Orange, and cocaine were all thought to be harmless - even good for you - just like cigarettes and bacon. In fact, prometherwhatever is still on the the suspected ingredient list of the chemical compound thought to cause Gulf War Syndrome. (A nasty little killer which Gulf Stormers actually brought home and unwittingly spread to their loved ones.) When airborne petroleum, sun tan lotion, insect repellent, and camo face paint keeps it all in skin contact for extended periods: GWS. Clearly if the Hell spawn insects loose on earth to punish hikers for their zero days drunk don't like it - you may want to give serious thought to marinating your bod in it. Just saying.

With regard to REI. AKA: "Return Everything Incorporated". They used to return everything WITHOUT receipts. They still have a very generous return system which they understand breeds loyalty. Only problem - there really aren't any REI stores near the AT. And yes, despite being only anecdotally relevant to this thread, they happily swapped out "Berries" treated gear for new stuff and she never gets gear anywhere else.

With regard to REI. AKA: "Return Everything Incorporated". They used to return everything WITHOUT receipts. They still have a very generous return system which they understand breeds loyalty. Only problem - there really aren't any REI stores near the AT. And yes, despite being only anecdotally relevant to this thread, they happily swapped out "Berries" treated gear for new stuff and she never gets gear anywhere else.
    You were the one that brought up the fact that your pal returned it all (despite it being their fault that they were didn't follow the very clear instructions). If either of you had read the label further, you'd have found out that a few washings or a couple of days on a line in the sun in all likelihood would have removed or degraded enough active/inactive ingredients to eliminate the problem. But it was probably easier to go run to REI and cry foul. This is the kind of chump move that makes me glad they tightened the return policy.

You are correct Sir. Yet another astute observation. I'm hoping this information actually helped neophyte hikers, and was in no way a total waste of time in being pointlessly combative. As yet another anecdotal aside: I find name calling terrifically small. How do your last comments help anyone? Next time I recommend "nanner nanner boo boo!" as an equally relevant and more expedient reply.

You are correct Sir. Yet another astute observation. I'm hoping this information actually helped neophyte hikers, and was in no way a total waste of time in being pointlessly combative. As yet another anecdotal aside: I find name calling terrifically small. How do your last comments help anyone? Next time I recommend "nanner nanner boo boo!" as an equally relevant and more expedient reply.
    The lessons here are 1.) Always read directions when it comes to use of pesticides to avoid dermal (and evidently possible neural) injury. 2.) Take responsibility for your own mistakes and don't go whining to manufacturers or vendors to clean up your mess.

Journal Entries

I'm back from the trip and I will say that we did not treat our underwear or the dog. I had not one tick on me the whole weekend. My husband saw 3 ticks on him at different times, but they were all moving and nothing attached. My dog was on "Program" and had about a dozen or more ticks attach on her, but when we got home, they were all still attached but dead. They just washed right off, dead as they could be. So the end result is that it all worked perfectly. When I make plans for my next overnighter in the summer, which I may not do until late August or September, just because I hate snakes and all the bugs and humidity and heat, I will probably send my stuff off for treatment. That just seems easiest, but I had no issue with the stuff we treated ourselves in the basement. Yay Permithrin!!! That's good stuff.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++