WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Total Pack weight... for 5 day hike- With water, no resupply?

What is your total 5 day 40+ mile, pack weight? With gear, water, and all the food for the trip (as in no resupply)? Not your base weight, or everything but water, but everything.

For example I was at 27.4 lbs starting out on the trail on my last section on the Florida Trail.

It's going to vary dramatically by person, season, location, etc... For me in most 3 season environments, 18-20 pounds. That's a pretty minimal loadout though.

To clarify, for 3 season. Spring summer fall....

Journal Entries

18 lb with fleece, 17 without, 1.5 L water

Garlic
    Images

About 18-20 pounds for me, too, though that's at my usual hiking pace of 20+ miles per day. For a 40 mile hike, I'd probably bring more camping equipment and less food, so it might even out.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

About 32 lbs. give or take a liter of water.

Journal Entries

Same here...32...or so said the scales at Amicalola before the shuttle up to SI. That was to get me to Mountain Crossings...which it did...and then some. Food surplus...
    hikers gonna hike

Journal Entries
    Images

Nowadays I prefer to not exceed 20lbs, but that's hard to do with my current gear or in the winter. I also carry ~2-4 lbs. of luxury items like cameras, phones, etc.

Max 20-22lb in the summer
    Max 25-27lb in the winter.

40 miles in 5 days? 8 miles/day? That's only about 4 hrs walking/day. What do you do for the other 20 hours?
    I agree with the post that said you need more weight if you are doing more camping and less walking. You need to bring forms of entertainment for those 20 hours/day of sitting around.

Did Standing Bear Hostel to Hot Springs a week and a half ago in three days. I'm guessing mid 20's, maybe high 20's with everything at the start, including water.

Late 3 season is about 28lbs fully loaded with 5 days food and 2 liters of water.

40*+ is about 20lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBobby View Post
    What is your total 5 day 40+ mile, pack weight? With gear, water, and all the food for the trip (as in no resupply)? Not your base weight, or everything but water, but everything. For example I was at 27.4 lbs starting out on the trail on my last section on the Florida Trail.
    I assume you are not carrying water for five days. Water to me is the biggest variable in your question, since I would only carry enough water to get me to the next water source, which is typically, but not always, (2) 20 oz Gatorade bottles, weighing in at 2.5 pounds. In that case, for 5 days, I would have 2.5 pounds water or less, 7.5 pounds of food (1.5 pounds/day), and 8-12 pounds in my pack, depending on season (less in summer, more in winter). So it would be 18-22 pounds with everything if my math is right.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

No more than 35 lbs with 2L water for typical fall and spring southern Appalachian weather, often a little less. No more than 30 for summer, often a little less. 45 for winter. That is carrying a little extra weight for my son, and including two pounds of whiskey.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey bobby my total pack weight is usually under 25 lbs for my three season set up,
    If im hiking in summer it is quite A bit less,say around 15 pounds total.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    40 miles in 5 days? 8 miles/day? That's only about 4 hrs walking/day. What do you do for the other 20 hours?
    I agree with the post that said you need more weight if you are doing more camping and less walking. You need to bring forms of entertainment for those 20 hours/day of sitting around.
    40 + ... On slow leisurely hikes I average 10 miles a day. Hiking to me is not about crushing miles, it's about being outdoors. I enjoy the outdoors and not the portable entertainment that I see most people addicted to (as I type this on my tablet). Also I wanted to keep this open to the folks who didn't try to hike 20 a day for the sake of getting there, but more enjoying the journey.

But even on the last 10 mile day I did, it went like this:
    0645 - woke up
    0745 bfast and coffee done
    0800 hammock and gear packed
    0805 hiking
    1100 stop for a real lunch
    1145 hiking
    1400 10 miles... Finding camping spot
    1500 camp set
    1600 afternoon nap
    1700 dinner
    1800 exploring and hanging out
    2000 getting ready for bed

Nice and easy. No injuries, no worries.

It's different on longer hikes, like the AT but on these little get aways it's all about the journey not the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I assume you are not carrying water for five days. Water to me is the biggest variable in your question, since I would only carry enough water to get me to the next water source, which is typically, but not always, (2) 20 oz Gatorade bottles, weighing in at 2.5 pounds. In that case, for 5 days, I would have 2.5 pounds water or less, 7.5 pounds of food (1.5 pounds/day), and 8-12 pounds in my pack, depending on season (less in summer, more in winter). So it would be 18-22 pounds with everything if my math is right.
    Correct. Just starting weight with water. 5 days of water for me is like 40 liters.

With 5 days food 20-22 lbs total. With rain gear and camp chair and gas stove.

Section hiked GA last July never got past 24lbs. 1 resupply only took 7.5 days.

When I left Neels Gap a couple weeks ago with 2 liters of water (4.25 pounds) and 4.5 days of food (7.75 pounds) to get me to Franklin my total pack weight was between 24 and 25 pounds.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

++ New Posts ++