WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default JMT: Rain gear for July?

Hi all - I'm tru-hiking in late July/early August and wondering about rain gear. Balancing pack weight with being prepared. I always bring a hard shell rain jacket but am wondering about the need for rain pants at this time of year. Mine are heavy. Thoughts? thanks!

For my sept thru used a ula rain skirt over my shorts...worked great only need once though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hadn't heard of these but just googled and WOW --- they look great! esp since i'm considering hiking in a skirt (with tights on chiller days).
    Thanks!!

Images

Heather, You might also want to look at the rain gear from LightHeart Gear - yeah, I'm plugging myself, but it's made here in North Carolina!

Journal Entries

Yes you need raingear.

It can go long time without raining in the Sierra
    But it can also rain all day every day for several days.
    It usually doesnt, but the thing is....sometime it do.

Rain, fog, sleet, hail , torrential downpours, wind , and 48 degrees at 11000 ft+ all day is what you might encounter
    Its the sierra in summer, high elevation, not the AT where its 85F and raining.

Sometimes people get lucky and get by with just a poncho. Thats really all thats needed 75% of time probably, but its just luck to get by with it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-24-2016 at 15:54.

Thanks for this - yes, i know I need rain gear. the question was about bringing heavy rain pants.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Heather, You might also want to look at the rain gear from LightHeart Gear - yeah, I'm plugging myself, but it's made here in North Carolina!
    Thanks for this - will look into them too!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherNC View Post
    Thanks for this - yes, i know I need rain gear. the question was about bringing heavy rain pants.
    If windblown cold rain at 48f on a pass is ok with you, leave them. If not, bring them. Pretty simple.

Downhill runout from some passes is 8-10 miles. Not steep enough to keep you warm even hiking fast when your wet.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-26-2016 at 15:05.

kilt/skirt will stop you from overheating and it's easy to take on/off. Use is it to sit on after the rain's done and everything's wet

if you go pants, a very light option is probably best

I'm planning on bringing a rain kilt (I get too overheated in rain pants).

Images

Rain skirts are great, I used one (even as a guy...) on the AT. But on the JMT, it's more about the warmth you might need a couple/few times. I plan on repeating the JMT (or some variation thereof) next year and will be bringing my silly, clunky but light dri-duck (AKA Frogg Togg) rain pants (5.5 ounces) plus my 4 ounce rain skirt. Just MHO on a proper high sierra kit. I worn my dri-ducks quite often at night and in the mornings in camp. Even in july, it gets quite chilly at those times, especially at the high camps (like the popular Guitar lake).

The weather isn't as unpredictable as some make it seem in July on the JMT. It's often been said the Sierra Nevada along the JMT have some of the most favorable weather for it's elevations on the planet. That's not to suggest one shouldn't prepare adequately and KNOW what can happen and KNOW how to prepare for the likeliest outcomes.

No way would I, and I think many others, NEED a heavy rain jacket or pants for a July JMT thru. I'd suggest something very light wt like a skirt that doubles for rain IF that scenario presents itself and you can hike in when not raining in 80*+ temps with exposed hiking conditions. Alternatively, light wt much more breathable wind pants might work too. I've carried 5 oz GoLite Tumalo rain pants on two July JMT thrus and they saw so little use for rain. I wore them in camp and slept in them. I would not do that again for a JULY Sierra hike on the JMT. If I did carry pants anymore they would be something like a Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants or Montane's Featherlite wind pants and that would likely be Sept forward into Oct. In July I've experienced Sierra rain but only once intermittent showers throughout the day. I've been in the Sierra alot as it's one of my favorite places to hike. It's usually of shorter duration as fronts pass through. 30 mins later it's back up to a sunny exposed 80 degrees. For the jacket in July I go with my lightest wt most breathable rain jacket that suffices for a wind jacket with comparatively minimal wt penalty OR....read on. IMO, for a JULY JMT thru one should strongly consider not approaching rain wear ONLY from being worn when raining. I've also done 150+ mile Sierra hikes that included many 10K+ ft passes in July fully comfortable in layers with a outer layer Wind Jacket like the Marmot DriClime or Patagonia Houdini both with a high quality functioning DWR. I'm still here. Haven't died.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather_VT View Post
    I'm planning on bringing a rain kilt (I get too overheated in rain pants).
    I agree with you. For JULY overwhelmingly you'll likely be more concerned during the day about staying comfortably coolish but being adequately able to address the possible rain shower or even slight chance of hail.

I always consider my entire ensemble as a ULer though. When I rock the Houdini I'm layering underneath it that will keep me warm if I do get damp or wetted out(merino tee and one very light wt merino 1/2 zip long sleeved), will have something dry to change into(including two pr of shortie light wt merino socks), use my quilt and a tarp as additional clothing in case of emergency, and have accessories like very light Manzella Windstopper gloves or very light nylon running gloves, very light merino beanie, etc. Don't forget using hand pockets and hoods on apparel to trap warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The weather isn't as unpredictable as some make it seem in July on the JMT. It's often been said the Sierra Nevada along the JMT have some of the most favorable weather for it's elevations on the planet. That's not to suggest one shouldn't prepare adequately and KNOW what can happen and KNOW how to prepare for the likeliest outcomes.

No way would I, and I think many others, NEED a heavy rain jacket or pants for a July JMT thru. I'd suggest something very light wt like a skirt that doubles for rain IF that scenario presents itself and you can hike in when not raining in 80*+ temps with exposed hiking conditions. Alternatively, light wt much more breathable wind pants might work too. I've carried 5 oz GoLite Tumalo rain pants on two July JMT thrus and they saw so little use for rain. I wore them in camp and slept in them. I would not do that again for a JULY Sierra hike on the JMT. If I did carry pants anymore they would be something like a Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants or Montane's Featherlite wind pants and that would likely be Sept forward into Oct. In July I've experienced Sierra rain but only once intermittent showers throughout the day. I've been in the Sierra alot as it's one of my favorite places to hike. It's usually of shorter duration as fronts pass through. 30 mins later it's back up to a sunny exposed 80 degrees. For the jacket in July I go with my lightest wt most breathable rain jacket that suffices for a wind jacket with comparatively minimal wt penalty OR....read on. IMO, for a JULY JMT thru one should strongly consider not approaching rain wear ONLY from being worn when raining. I've also done 150+ mile Sierra hikes that included many 10K+ ft passes in July fully comfortable in layers with a outer layer Wind Jacket like the Marmot DriClime or Patagonia Houdini both with a high quality functioning DWR. I'm still here. Haven't died.
    DW...thinking about leaving my rain parka out and only bringing my Houdini this sept on the collegiate loop....thoughts...foolish?

I have seen thru hikers dressed in full on rain suits with both jacket and rain pants. And I have seen thru hikers dressed in the tiniest of running shorts and a super light rain jacket. And all in the same rain event. Sometimes, walking in the same group!

It just depends what you are comfortable wearing when it is raining, and what you are comfortable carrying when it is not raining.

That would be me last year on the jmt in sept....snowing on top of silver pass as I walked in shorts and a light rain shell...everyone I passed asked if I was from Alaska....nope Florida...lots of laughs!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    DW...thinking about leaving my rain parka out and only bringing my Houdini this sept on the collegiate loop....thoughts...foolish?

Got to be more careful, more mindful, and possibly more comprehensive in all that's going on(what skill set one has, how one layers, what one can endure, what one can bring to their defense…) at that time of the yr in that range at those elevations with some of that exposure of the C West IF one is going with a Pat Houdini. I see weather as more unpredictable in the C West case in Sept compared to the JMT in July. Deeper into Sept the more one could see colder temps and snowfall, the greater the unpredictability. Spend enough time at elevation in CO sooner or later you'll experience snow, hail, lightning, rain wind etc in Aug and Sept. I'd say decent chance of experiencing all of that in those months. At the early stages of Sept might get some late seasonal monsoon rain although I think it will be past by mid Sept. The Coloradans like Mags, Colorado Rob, Bear Creek, etc should be able to correct me if I'm wrong or add to my opinion.

Likely best for the majority to take along a light wt rain jacket that has exceptional breathability(I know it's overused marketing term) to be used on greater occasions other than if raining. I'd likely be opting for a Montbell Versalite, Marmot Mica, or ZP Challenger(latest version) rain jacket. I'd also consider the Montbell Tachyon or Patagonia Houdini though too after checking the weather for the higher elevations about 7 days forward because that's about how long it has taken me to do the C Loop twice. I also already have all these pieces. That's me and shouldn't be the basis of what others do. Again, no piece of gear operates on its own.

Journal Entries

Just because you can often get by without some gear, doesnt mean its a good idea.

Plenty of people bailed off JMT in 2014 and didnt finish their hikes, when it snowed 2 ft on Aug. 1.

Try these. They are super light weight and cheap (around $20). I used them on the JMT and they worked great for wind break and rain up over Forester Pass. I have used them a lot on the AT as well. http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm

Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Looking like early to mid sept....9-10 days...only a few oz more to add the helium 11 rain shell with the Houdini...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++