WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Osprey Atmos 50 Users

I recently opted for a new Osprey Atmos 50 pack. I have been tinkering around with loading configurations and I'm having trouble with the frame contorting. The frame really impedes with loading compression sacks(I use one for clothes and one for food). My gear weight is extremely minimal, around 26 lbs and that includes 7 days of food so I don't think I'm stressing the frame. It just the bulk of the gear pressing down on the two frame members.

Can any of you veteran owners suggest a loading configuration that won't leave the frame misshapen and one in which optimizes comfort? If you can recommend a particular kind of compression sack or even how you would load your gear. Thanks!

Images

I'm no veteran owner,, but,, I've recently received the Atmos 50, & have taken it on a few trips so far. Here's the way I pack mine: use Hefty trash bag as liner, then stuff loose sleeping bag, taking up all small crevises at the pack bottom. Then I stuff my clothes bag, which has room to be compressed (& formed to shape the middle of the pack. Then food (& toiletries bag, cookpot/stove) into top portion of pack. Then my hammock/skins go in top lid, & all remaining gear in front pockets. Water bottles on side.

Man, this pack rides well! I've had it up to 35lbs, w/ no ill effects.

FWIW

Images

I pack my Atmos 50 just like Big Dawg outlined. During colder times, I will put something like extra clothes or a fleece in the mesh cavity next to your back. I've used that same space in warmer times with a CamelBak water bladder but the heat from my back warmed the water too much to make it enjoyable to drink. I really love this pack.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thanks for the tips! I never thought of packing my sleeping bag w/out a stuff sack but it sounds like a great idea. I've literally tried 2 dozen configurations(my current one has my clothes in a stuff sack where the sleeping pad is supposed to be, it'll be there 'til I eat most of the food)and I get a little better each time. I'm trying to make this pack work on a 10 day trip with no re-supply stops. Thanks again and I'll let you know if this plan works!

Images

[quote=athiker75]I'm trying to make this pack work on a 10 day trip with no re-supply stops. [quote]

That's approximately 20 lbs of food to carry, starting out.
    I couldn't do that w/ my set up,,, my base weight is 18+ lbs, I carry 2 liters of water, & 6 days of food (12 lbs) would put me at 34+ lbs. Max carry weight for this pack is 35 lbs.

[QUOTE=Big Dawg][quote=athiker75]I'm trying to make this pack work on a 10 day trip with no re-supply stops.

That's approximately 20 lbs of food to carry, starting out.
    I couldn't do that w/ my set up,,, my base weight is 18+ lbs, I carry 2 liters of water, & 6 days of food (12 lbs) would put me at 34+ lbs. Max carry weight for this pack is 35 lbs.
    How about if you were to use only freeze-dried food?

Quote Originally Posted by longshank

Most people can't afford that, and frankly, freeze dried food gets old after a while. I couldn't imagine eating it for 10 straight days. But then again, maybe thats just me.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Been there, done that, got old-(the taste), too expensive. Most of my evening meals are lipton's, etc. Not much weight savings going back to freeze dried.

Images

Yes, if I remember even at 2 pounds of freeze dried a day you are going to only get about 3200 calories a day, not much different from just eating liptons and such. You may try suplimenting your diet with some olive oil to get the calories up, but that still wouldn't solve your space issue.

Have you considered adding a waist belt with pouch to put some items in for the first part of your hike so you can have more food room in that pack? You could move the pack and it's contents inside your backpack after a couple of days eating up some space.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Have you considered adding a waist belt with pouch to put some items in for the first part of your hike so you can have more food room in that pack? You could move the pack and it's contents inside your backpack after a couple of days eating up some space.
    That's more or less what I've resolved to do. I'm literally going to carry my clothing in a stuff sack outside of the pack for 2 or 3 days. After that it should be alright. My base weight is so low that I think I'll be under or at least within a pound or 2 of the packs ideal weight limit. I don't mind the freeze dried food regimen. Just a few treats to break the monotny. But as far as I'm concerned, a little sacrifice in the taste department is a small price to pay for 10 glorious days in the backcountry!

I hadnt thought about leaving my sleeping bag out of a stuff sack. I am going to have to try that. I love my Atmos 50, but I also tore up a few zippers from cramming on my 1000 mile section hike this year. It is all good.

Bassline

++ New Posts ++