WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What everyone said.. I would add I also alleviate the problem of a "heavy pack" and a "heavy step".

Have you heard the expression: light on your feet? That is what I do. It might even seem that I dance down slope in the mountains.

I move quickly, and not putting all weight on one step.

My foot placement varies with the terrain (roots, ruts and rocks) especially so.

I don't think I have described well, what I am doing.. I am not walking as I do in town and I do not walk heavily with a thud. I am flexible.

I agree that the description of the injury/soreness is too vague; however, strength training is mostly the cure, even at the age of 62. When walking downhill the quads are doing the bulk of the work, as opposed to going uphill when other parts of the leg, namely the hamstrings pitch in and help.

Some ideas to weight training, linked thread is short and sweet http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...evation-change

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

OP will have to tell us where the pain is, though. If it's ITBS, then SteelCut and Pedaling Food are right, you will need to do exercises to strengthen your other leg muscles because, from what I gather, ITBS is an overcompensation. Stretch your IT band and hip muscles, but look up and do exercises to strengthen your hips and glutes, and make sure to hike with proper form. Look up proper running form. If possible, use a standing desk at work.

I had some really bad ITBS last fall, kept me from doing much of anything until this spring. I did exercises with elastic bands, single-legged squats, etc. I can still feel it a bit sometimes but that's a reminder that I shouldn't be lazy. (I've been lazy.) Best as I can tell, it was due to a muscle imbalance in one leg that's still not 100% as good as my good leg, but getting there.

You can go to an orthopedist and just get "doctor's orders" for physical therapy without too much of a hassle. They do like to run their expensive machines, though, so watch out.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 05-27-2016 at 12:21.

Journal Entries
    Images

These are just a couple of the things you might consider:

https://www.alpfitness.com/overcomin...-running-form/
    http://running.competitor.com/2014/0...xercise_114084

Check www.exrx.net for hip flexor/extensor and rotator exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    These are just a couple of the things you might consider:

https://www.alpfitness.com/overcomin...-running-form/
    http://running.competitor.com/2014/0...xercise_114084

Check www.exrx.net for hip flexor/extensor and rotator exercises.
    Nice.

The ExRx.net is a huge resource.

Do you have links for hip flexor/extensor and rotator exercizes?

Is their CD searchable?
    Last edited by Connie; 05-27-2016 at 13:29.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks. Sorry I'm not familiar with their CD, I just use the site.

There's a dropdown box under Home Menu. If you look under Joint Articulations you'll get a whole list of movements. Here are the hip articulations: http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Hip.html#Flexion

They show machines but I just got a set of these Black Mountain Products resistance bands that you can anchor in a door.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 05-28-2016 at 08:18.

Journal Entries
    Images

It may just be that your knees are taking a pounding from absorbing most of the shock going downhill. Try consciously planting your heel first, then rolling onto your midfoot, then the ball of your foot. It's a lot easier to do with trekking poles. Going uphill, the large leg muscles act in concert to stabilize your knee and lessen the impact. On downhills your knee and associated ligaments are taking most of the abuse.

I'm currently sitting here with two sowllen knees and ice packs due to improper downhill technique. Rest assued I've lerned my lesson.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Journal Entries
    Images

^ I hike in shoes and try never to heel plant, always midfoot or forefoot. And never to stride too much, only increase cadence. Feet should fall under your hips, so bend from the knees and ankles, not the hips. (Hence why I posted the link about running form even though it's hiking.) I tore a meniscus a couple of years ago, too, so I try to be good about mechanics--I should be InjuryMan. On the downhills I (try to) do a little dance from rock to rock to avoid sudden shocks. YMMV. Maybe I need to look into Hoka One Ones, but they don't come in 2E.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 05-28-2016 at 09:19.

Whether using trekking poles or not(not everyone does, I usually don't) you would do well to consider the "knee sparing habits" by eliminating or reducing "heavy steps", "heavy pack", "heel plants", and the overall force placed on the knees going downhill. You might also apply these ideas on steep uphills too.

How? Don't be overly aggressive pounding fast down steep grades. A heavier load typically entails slowing down particularly on this type of more demanding downhill terrain. Don't plod. If possible reduce the riser height of step downs. Instead of taking a deeper step down in one step break it up it smaller incremental steps/step heights maybe even three if the terrain allows. Don't extend your stride length on the down hill intentionally reduce it to shorter strides.

Despite your age consider that not being an automatic excuse for knee pain. You might consider lifestyle choices and diet that commit to an anti inflammatory response rather than contribute to a pro inflammatory response.

You are giving your knees more than they can take.
    Back off, loose weight, strengthen the muscles around the knee, and consider your footwear (PT's look at the whole system, feet to hips, and shoes are a likely problem).
    Don't take Vitamin I; it covers up the pain which is important information that you need to back off. Also, inflammation is part of the healing process, you don't want to stop it.
    Get serious and see a professional! Web forums are full of nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Studley stomper View Post
    On two recent section hikes I have started to notice some pain in one knee only. Pain is not very noticeable until the afternoon hours after I have hiked 6-10 miles depending on the terrain. Only hurts on downhills. Ibuprofen helps some. Can anyone tell me the probable cause of the pain and what are the best ways to treat this problem. Interested in possible thru-hike in near future.
    Let us ask you, after perusing the posts here and doing some further investigation on what causes inflammation, what can you do to reduce or eliminate knee pain on downhills without narrowly resorting to masking symptoms of inflammation with pain killers? In other words what can you now do beyond only resorting to pain meds?

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    Thanks. Sorry I'm not familiar with their CD, I just use the site.

There's a dropdown box under Home Menu. If you look under Joint Articulations you'll get a whole list of movements. Here are the hip articulations: http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Hip.html#Flexion

They show machines but I just got a set of these Black Mountain Products resistance bands that you can anchor in a door.
    Here are video (scroll down) showing using resistance bands, if never seen before.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/724...age&pldnSite=1

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Whether using trekking poles or not(not everyone does, I usually don't) you would do well to consider the "knee sparing habits" by eliminating or reducing "heavy steps", "heavy pack", "heel plants", and the overall force placed on the knees going downhill. You might also apply these ideas on steep uphills too.

How? Don't be overly aggressive pounding fast down steep grades. A heavier load typically entails slowing down particularly on this type of more demanding downhill terrain. Don't plod. If possible reduce the riser height of step downs. Instead of taking a deeper step down in one step break it up it smaller incremental steps/step heights maybe even three if the terrain allows. Don't extend your stride length on the down hill intentionally reduce it to shorter strides.
    I was taught to use a rest-step for steep inclines: weight shift to each foot plant, walking rolling the body weight to each foot plant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++