WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 59 of 134 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 2679

And from the news article: "CARRABASSETT VALLEY, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - Maine game wardens plan another smaller search in the area of Sugarloaf Mountain for the body of missing hiker Gerry Largay."

I don't put a lot of stock in the news media. I tend to trust Attroll's posts more. Just saying and looking for a clarification from him. Maybe they are doing both. Maybe the news is wrong again.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

So what we know, for certain, sort of??
    Corrections, and omissions noted, welcomed.

Monday July 22, 2013

Gerry leaves Poplar Ridge lean-to between 6:30 and 7:15 a.m, north bound. She is healthy looking and smiling. Whistle on right shoulder harness. I don’t see the pepper spray she carried there?

Rustmd and Queen leave soon after Inchworm, south bound.

Only other NOBO, Ivanich, gets up after Inchworm leaves. On trail by 9:00 a.m. She states she never sees Gerry on trail.

Inchworm's phone receives text at 10:30-- she doesn’t answer?

George tries to contact her at 2:20-- and she doesn’t answer?

About 3:00 to 3:30, a ping of Gerry’s phone happens. But where is phone—is it on Lone Mt, or elsewhere?

Gerry never shows at Spaulding lean-to.

Tuesday July 23, 2013

Gerry does not meet husband at Rt 27

Wednesday July 24, 2013

Midday, thereabouts, George reports her missing.

5:00 p.m. or so call is made reporting she stayed at Spaulding lean-to to wait out rain on Tuesday, and would be late meeting husband. (unclear—was this call really made, or is it a mix up?)

July ? , 2013

Three young men say they saw Inchworm west of Lone Mt summit around 3:30 p.m. on the Monday that she went missing. (did they, or did they see another lone woman—maybe Ivanich? Or Kaleidoscope? Why not ask Ivanich if she rested there that day? Would settle that question.)

Thoughts—

Her last day from Spaulding to Rt 27 just seems like more than she normally planned, given the terrain—very aggressive for her? And she was very cautious, studied maps, etc.

Unless she really did hike past Spaulding, she had to go off trail, for whatever reason, before Ivanich came through. That makes it fairly early on that Monday.

Why do they keep saying the ping was from Lone Mt, but also that it could be anywhere in a 30 mile radius?

So, what is it with the call on that Wednesday, before the search started, --a woman saying she spent the night with Gerry?? Was it real? Was it not?

Was her phone on at 10:30 a.m. Monday July 22 and she didn’t answer?? And still on at 3:00 for the ping? Finding it hard to believe she made that battery eating mistake.

If she left at 6:30, by 10:30 she should have been close to Lone Mt, by then, at one mile an hour? Surly at least past Obeton Stream.

Muddy Boots - only one minor point of 'correction'....

.com and Queen left prior to Inchworm.

As to your "Thoughts". The only comment I'll make here is that by my calculations Inchworm should have made it to Orbetron Stream roughly 1030-1045 (that's using the 0715 departure time). This is not fact, only my opinion/deduction - posters save the flaming for the campfires please.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by muddy boots View Post

Why do they keep saying the ping was from Lone Mt, but also that it could be anywhere in a 30 mile radius?
    Thanks for compiling this!

From what I've understood, the ping was from a cell tower on Lone Mt, but could be received by a cell phone anywhere within a 30 mile radius. I think the ping from her phone is really just an indicator that the phone was in range and turned on at some point, but doesn't really mean much else.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Nice timeline Muddy Boots....it helps to have a visual timeline. As many of us are avid hikers, we have a unique ability to understand the trail and the nuances of hiking that trail. Having that understanding of the journey and the thought processes of a hiker in different scenarios is unique to our community and I am glad to see the 5 Cents that many are giving because it just may be one of them is true.

Images

Every day I read this thread, sometimes twice a day, hoping that they've found her... Thank you Muddy Boots for the timeline; it is very helpful.

I think the news article has "CARRABASSETT VALLEY" is because that's where I believe they have (or had) the mobile command center set up. The phrase "in the area of Sugarloaf Mountain" - could be loosely interpreted to be over towards Poplar Ridge, especially if you are from the news media. Also, the cell tower that would have been communicating with Inchworm's phone was on Sugarloaf Mtn, so it would seem like Lone Mtn and Poplar Ridge would be "in the area of Sugarloaf Mountain".

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    And from the news article: "CARRABASSETT VALLEY, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - Maine game wardens plan another smaller search in the area of Sugarloaf Mountain for the body of missing hiker Gerry Largay."

I don't put a lot of stock in the news media. I tend to trust Attroll's posts more. Just saying and looking for a clarification from him. Maybe they are doing both. Maybe the news is wrong again.

Corrections, and omissions noted, welcomed.

Monday July 22, 2013

Gerry leaves Poplar Ridge lean-to between 6:30 and 7:15 a.m, north bound. She is healthy looking and smiling. Whistle on right shoulder harness. I don’t see the pepper spray she carried there?

Only other NOBO, Ivanich, gets up after Inchworm leaves. On trail by 9:00 a.m. She states she never sees Gerry on trail.

Inchworm's phone receives text at 10:30-- she doesn’t answer?

George tries to contact her at 2:20-- and she doesn’t answer?

About 3:00 to 3:30, a ping of Gerry’s phone happens. But where is phone—is it on Lone Mt, or elsewhere?

Tuesday July 23, 2013

Wednesday July 24, 2013

5:00 p.m. or so call is made reporting she stayed at Spaulding lean-to to wait out rain on Tuesday, and would be late meeting husband. (unclear—was this call really made, or is it a mix up?)

July ? , 2013

Three young men say they saw Inchworm west of Lone Mt summit around 3:30 p.m. on the Monday that she went missing. (did they, or did they see another lone woman—maybe Ivanich? Or Kaleidoscope? Why not ask Ivanich if she rested there that day? Would settle that question.)

Thoughts—

Her last day from Spaulding to Rt 27 just seems like more than she normally planned, given the terrain—very aggressive for her? And she was very cautious, studied maps, etc.

Unless she really did hike past Spaulding, she had to go off trail, for whatever reason, before Ivanich came through. That makes it fairly early on that Monday.

So, what is it with the call on that Wednesday, before the search started, --a woman saying she spent the night with Gerry?? Was it real? Was it not?

Was her phone on at 10:30 a.m. Monday July 22 and she didn’t answer?? And still on at 3:00 for the ping? Finding it hard to believe she made that battery eating mistake.

If she left at 6:30, by 10:30 she should have been close to Lone Mt, by then, at one mile an hour? Surly at least past Obeton Stream.
    I would add the text message sent and received by George Monday morning telling him she was heading northbound for Spaulding Mt LT. It was reported sent around 7:15am but "pushed" @ 7:20am
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I received some more information from my reliable source today, which I can’t name. I have to paraphrase what was said. This is the Maine Warden replying here.

Yes we did ask Ivanich and she never saw Gerry on the trail, and we have not found anybody, other than the boys if they are correct, that did see her on the trail that Monday.

I have not been on that section of trail yet but for her most of it would have been downhill for her, Kladiscope described it as a little scary, but then she added it was nothing like coming down to Caribou Pond Road along that steep area. A lot of the guys describe most of it as being open beside the trail. I have asked about scenic step offs and areas like that and I am not hearing about any. Although if you pull up aerials on Google maps or Bing I can see granite out cropping’s on the south side that look like cliffs to me.

My strategy going forward is after talking with the person again about the cell phone coverage. Which she would have had coverage up at Popular Lean to and couple other places coming North on the trail, is if you remember the cell phone ping from George sent on Monday about 1420 hours and her cell phone received, there is also another text received at 1030 she receives but does not answer. The cell phone company is guessing where that is, but if you remember the green band, about 120 degrees wide, Lenny had on the map that indicated that is most likely where the cell phone was at the time.
    I think she would have answered both those text if she had stopped on the trail and took out her phone, so I am thinking something happens where she cannot get to her phone but it is on, I cannot remember where she carried her phone, but it indicates to me that she is SOMEWHERE in that green band or at least her cell phone is, which I believe is with her.

So I talked with another person and he has the Cell phone data on his computer and we are looking at areas within the green band that need further searching, one big area that stands out to me is south of the AT near poplar, we have not had anyone in there, it is quite possible now that something happened to her on this section of trail and most of it is within this green band. That is where most of the search effort will be Thursday.

When we are done I will get a map again. I cannot be there Thursday but two others will be there along with other local wardens who are very familiar with case and area. It will be a long day again and they have to get people in 2 different ways to the areas we want to cover, they both involve long drives and walking a couple miles into the search area.
    Did they have any luck finding her phone?

Turtle Feet, .com & queen left about 10-15 min. after Inchworm.

.com

Quote Originally Posted by rustmd View Post
    Turtle Feet, .com & queen left about 10-15 min. after Inchworm.

.com
    My bad! Good to know...

How fast does Ivanich hike?

Let's say Gerry only hikes 1.5 mph and Ivanich 2 mph, it would take her ~6 hours to catch Gerry past/near Spaulding Mnt. Lean-to/Spaulding Mnt., if she made it that far. The next couple miles are the "questionable" ones. If Gerry made it to Spaulding Mnt. Lean-to (7 miles) around noon, or just past, there's no reason not to try for the Cirque campsite (another 5.2 miles, 12.2 mi total).

If she hikes about the same speed, or stopped at Spaulding Mnt. Lean-to when Gerry pressed on, she'd never catch Gerry.

Yesterday was a search day. If they had found Inchworm someone would have heard by now I'm guessing.

Images

Shut down this thread on speculation?!? You can't find a missing hiker after weeks without speculation.

I appreciate all the information and deductions found within this thread. There are some off topic posts and disinformation. This is WhiteBlaze. The site is a product of it's leadership and active members.

I really hope that they find this woman. There are so many factors that could contribute to her becoming MIA. If you feel that looking into all the variables that could have made her disappear aren't worth looking into, go flame someone on another thread. At WB, there are plenty.

I think the military at Poplar Ridge is worth speculation. Along with the French Canadian, a NOBO who never caught Gerry, and a strange phone call.

The reason this hits home for me is that it could have been any of us. And no one would have known what really happened. Unless we looked into all of the options to find why one of our trail buddies was lost.

So what we know, for certain, sort of?? ...

July ? , 2013

Three young men say they saw Inchworm ... did they see another lone woman—maybe Ivanich? Or Kaleidoscope? ....
    Who is "Kaleidoscope"? I don't recall that hiker being mentioned before.

cvt

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Who is "Kaleidoscope"? I don't recall that hiker being mentioned before.

cvt
    Kathy Odvody, the hiker that the press interviewed in the first few days after Gerry went missing. It was never clear to me if she passed through there on the same days as Gerry or a day or two later.

Here's the story link: http://www.kjonline.com/news/Over-ru...l?pagenum=full

Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post

I think the military at Poplar Ridge is worth speculation.
    When I went to SERE school, cannibalism was not part of the curriculum.

What's your theory?

Thanks for corrections and additions, and good comments.

Revised 8/23/13 (italics)

Monday July 22, 2013

(correction)
    At 7:15 Gerry texts George that she is headed northbound for Spaulding Mt. lean-to. Message is “pushed” at 7:20 a.m.

Inchworms phone receives text at 10:30 she doesn’t answer?

George tries to contact her at 2:20 and she doesn’t answer?

Tuesday July 23, 2013

Wednesday July 24, 2013

July ? , 2013

Three young men say they saw Inchworm west of Lone Mt summit around 3:30 p.m. on the Monday that she went missing. (did they, or did they see another lone woman—maybe Ivanich? Or Kaleidoscope Why not ask Ivanich if she rested there that day)

Thoughts—

So, what is it with the call on that Wednesday, before the search started?? Was it real? Was it not?

(correction)
    She averaged 1 mile per hour. From Poplar Ridge lean-to to Orbeton Stream is just under 3 miles? If she left between 6:30 and 7:15, she should have made it to Orbeton Stream by 10:30-10:45?

Confusion as to whether Inchworm left Poplar lean-to at 6:30 a.m. or 7:15. We know .com and queen left after her, so I’m thinking they know. Inchworm was wearing red long sleeve fleece? Maybe she stopped to take off long sleeves after hiking and warming up, and texted George during that stop?

[QUOTE=muddy boots;1520497]Thanks for corrections and additions, and good comments.

Revised 8/23/13 (italics)

I believe the precise location of a cell phone can only be determined if there are three cell towers nearby...triangulation. I think there is only one tower nearby, so they can only give a general location.

What is the source for her planning to meeting George on Rt 27 on the 23rd? Even if she had not gone missing, I don't see that as a reasonable distance over that terrain for that day. A better plan would have been to meet at Caribou Valley Road or meet on the 24th. I am not questioning her reasoning. I am questioning the source. From day 1 the news media has said Rt 27. It seems possible that they have created this destination via their adding 1 and 1 and getting 3. I ran into the 1st group of authorities when I was heading south off the Bigelows on the 25th. The news media could have gathered that this was where she was to come out or maybe even the only place she could have come out. Sorry to ramble, but that distance has always bugged me. I am yet to see the source (other than the news media) for Rt 27 being the meeting place.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 59 of 134 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++