WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 75 of 134 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 125 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 2679
    Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Thank you to EE for alerting us to this show. I watched and came away very impressed with the professionalism and thoroughness of the Maine Game Wardens and SAR and everyone involved in the search. They definitely knew what they were doing. So a great big THANK YOU to all the Maine professionals who do and did such outstanding work in carrying out their duties, as well as in the search for Gerry.

My heart goes out to her family.
    I could not have said it any better myself. I have been watching this series almost from the beginning and have been impressed with the passion and dedication for their job that these officers display time and time agin.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

so her husband says " she wandered off trail a couple times already but only for a few hundred yards" i never heard this info before

Not new information. Check out post #64. I think Gerry's husband mentions her off trail episodes in a couple other places as well.

I was impressed as well and feel that the show addressed a lot of the questions and concerns some of is had - about the dogs, the scope of the search, etc. I'm still baffled by the case and sad, though.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

GA-ME 2011
    Images

If you missed the show it will air again on 12/19 at 8pm on Animal Planet
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    Thank you to EE for alerting us to this show. I watched and came away very impressed with the professionalism and thoroughness of the Maine Game Wardens and SAR and everyone involved in the search. They definitely knew what they were doing. So a great big THANK YOU to all the Maine professionals who do and did such outstanding work in carrying out their duties, as well as in the search for Gerry.

My heart goes out to her family.
    Ditto here--I was impressed and you could tell that the Wardens were very frustrated by not finding her--they were having trouble coping with that, it's almost like they took it personally that someone was lost and not found in their part of the country. Prayers for her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Ditto here--I was impressed and you could tell that the Wardens were very frustrated by not finding her--they were having trouble coping with that, it's almost like they took it personally that someone was lost and not found in their part of the country. Prayers for her family.
    We are very proud of our Warden Service up here, it hurt my heart a bit to hear folks second guessing them during the search as I knew they would be employing all SAR tactics and are intimately familiar with the difficulty of terrain in our Maine woods, if maybe not the AT specifically. There was a searcher from Mahoosuc who my husband and I recognized last night who he is a very very capable climber and outdoorsman. We have very experienced people in our parts for this kind of thing.

The only thing which no one has pointed out yet, I believe they kept misplacing Mt Abraham as Lone Mt. Lone Mt is directly on the AT - I was there in August some might remember, it is a wooded summit, with no blue blaze to it, you cross it and then you're off. Abraham, where I hiked that same day is a blue blaze that leads above tree line to a talus slope and open summit and I believe that is what they kept referring to as Lone Mt in the search and even on a map schematic. I was surprised by this error, yet at the time it wouldn't matter as the point is they searched that entire region, heavily.

I had wondered how they searched Sugarloaf cirque so that was of interest to me in the episode. The parting shots are still touching me this morning of the family and friends holding up thank you signs with their names as the team demobilized and drove off. I had read they (SAR) had never had this happen before. I can assure you this mystery still sits heavy on their hearts as it does ours.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

That's good to know. It will at the very least give us bystanders a better feel for the locale. It far to easy to speculate from what little is known.
    Cvt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

It was very sad but I, too, was impressed with the search efforts. They had tracking dogs searching with them at first and then the cadaver dogs searching with them later on.

Here's the link to watch the show online for free.

http://www.watchseries-online.eu/cat...orth-woods-law

Keep checking for when they post.... "Vanished". My heart is still breaking over this...

I thought the show was well done. I would not read too much in the statement that she got off the trail a few times by mistake. That is a common occurance. Each trail has a personality all its own. Distance hikers learn this and when the personality changes, they take stock as to where they are and make sure they are where they think they are. The fact she caught herself after a 100 yards or so tells me she was very aware of her surroundings and quickly detected her mistept. She might have gone the wrong way and hurt herself but I doubt she went the wrong way and could not find her way back.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

I think the Trail Journals are replete with accounts of hikers getting off trail through mis-attention. It happened to me. You get up in the AM and head back south when you should be north bound. The change of light alters what the trail looks like. Or, in my case, I was focused on the shelter and dinner and didn't study the side trail enough. Usually nothing more than a moment's worth of irritation but it can take you off course quickly enough.
    cvt
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Watch the show last night and I am not sure it conveyed just have thick the forest is along most of that section of the trail. A lot of the trail they showed had, what I think of as "open woods", rather than the dense spruce. Glad to know they checked the cliffs below the ridge between Spaulding and Sugarloaf.

I picked up on the comment at the end of the show too - it's now a criminal investigation. That's very reassuring to me, to know that the investigation continues. I still believe Gerry will be found and those involved in her disappearance will be brought to justice.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    It was very sad but I, too, was impressed with the search efforts. They had tracking dogs searching with them at first and then the cadaver dogs searching with them later on.

Here's the link to watch the show online for free.

http://www.watchseries-online.eu/cat...orth-woods-law

Keep checking for when they post.... "Vanished". My heart is still breaking over this...
    HikerMom, thank you for sharing this. I do not have TV service, however, and without it seem not to be able to get it onto my old computer. It is possible that I will spend the night at Roanoke at a motel that carries the right Roanoke channel on the 19th. If you will tell me the number, I will ask if they get Animal Planet on Channel ____ before making the reservation. Someone just posted that they are now considering this a criminal investigation. To me that gives hope that she may be somewhere she would not prefer but may still be alive. As my mother used to say, "Where there is life, there is hope."
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    HikerMom, thank you for sharing this. I do not have TV service, however, and without it seem not to be able to get it onto my old computer. It is possible that I will spend the night at Roanoke at a motel that carries the right Roanoke channel on the 19th. If you will tell me the number, I will ask if they get Animal Planet on Channel ____ before making the reservation. Someone just posted that they are now considering this a criminal investigation. To me that gives hope that she may be somewhere she would not prefer but may still be alive. As my mother used to say, "Where there is life, there is hope."
    Oh sure not a problem, SawnieRobertson. I would recommend that you just ask the Motel if they have animal planet on their TV channel line up. The channel no. might be different depending on the service they have. We are about to cancel our cable TV service or else I would offer for you to watch it at my house. We just can't justify paying for cable TV that we never watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Watch the show last night and I am not sure it conveyed just have thick the forest is along most of that section of the trail. A lot of the trail they showed had, what I think of as "open woods", rather than the dense spruce. Glad to know they checked the cliffs below the ridge between Spaulding and Sugarloaf.
    That one place they were searching, I guess it is the cliffs that you mention, looked like some serious rugged terrain! I can see how you wouldn't be able to find a person in that. Just so aggravating as to how some one can just vanish! It makes me want to go look for myself, even though I know there's no one better than the folks they've had out there searching. Just so sad. It makes me feel so helpless!

Sent from somewhere in the woods.
    Last edited by Gonecampn; 12-14-2013 at 23:02.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Back to Hiker Mom: I so understand. The reason I have no cable service is that in 2005 I took action, the same action. Very seldom do I wish I had access. So, I think that what I need to know is whether the cable company that will be viewing the program again is DISH or Direct. Somehow I do not think that, if I just mention that program, the desk clerk will know. I drive to Roanoke weekly for service dog training. This could work out. We'll see. Again, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries

Animal Planet is the channel not the program. Sort of like CBS NBC ect.
    Tridavis

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    I picked up on the comment at the end of the show too - it's now a criminal investigation. That's very reassuring to me, to know that the investigation continues. I still believe Gerry will be found and those involved in her disappearance will be brought to justice.
    I don't remember them saying that; I do remember them saying something to the effect, they will treat the scene with the same care of a crime scene if her body is found...

I believe that's only logical and probably standard, but it doesn't mean they now think foul play was involved, rather it's just being abundantly cautious not to destroy any potential evidence, just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Back to Hiker Mom: I so understand. The reason I have no cable service is that in 2005 I took action, the same action. Very seldom do I wish I had access. So, I think that what I need to know is whether the cable company that will be viewing the program again is DISH or Direct. Somehow I do not think that, if I just mention that program, the desk clerk will know. I drive to Roanoke weekly for service dog training. This could work out. We'll see. Again, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    Oh SawnieRobertson you come to Roanoke weekly for service dog training? That's really neat. We love dogs too.

I would love to meet up with you sometime when you drive in for training! Do you do the training through St. Frances? We were at the dogtober fest. they have there every year.

Yes, ask about the Animal Planet channel but the program is called North Woods Law .... Vanished.

Page 75 of 134 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 125 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++