WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 ... LastLast

http://www.pressherald.com/news/hike...013-08-03.html

"Cpl. John MacDonald said in an email Friday that wardens are no longer seeking the woman who called the motel to say she and 'Inchworm,' Largay's trail name, had both spent Tuesday night in the Spaulding Mountain lean-to."

lets not see conspiracies where there are none. "they" are doing their job

Just saw this.....looks like they have it down to a small area to do the grid search, like everyone is saying.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/25...-missing-hiker

Journal Entries

120 searchers focused on 3miles, they have got to find something if they are in the right place, Thats a person every 130 ft.

Journal Entries
    Images

STAsearchmap080413.jpgHaven't followed this to much detail but found this map
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

From a post about 20 minutes ago on the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife page:

SEARCH UPDATE FOR GERALDINE LARGAY August 4, 2013: At the conclusion of today’s search efforts there was no new attributing evidence or information found as to Geraldine’s location. At this point, the search for Geraldine Largay will be extensively scaled back.

Today’s search involved approximately 115 searchers that included Maine Game Wardens and MASAR* volunteers. They were concentrated in an area approximately 4.2 miles square. The area is contained within the black search boxes on the map. This search area was established based on several pieces of information gathered from hikers.

The search area was intensely covered today and utilized Game Wardens and K9 teams, MASAR foot searchers and both K9 and horseback teams. Game Wardens will continue to investigate all leads. In the event new information becomes available, local wardens and MASAR searchers will be used to search those areas. Those with any information should call the Public Safety Dispatch Center Augusta at (207) 624-7076 or 1-800-452-4664 (Maine only).

(*The Maine Association for Search and Rescue (MASAR) is a non-profit organization that promotes and develops search and rescue resources for the state of Maine. MASAR provides training and certification for search and rescue volunteers using nationally-recognized standards. See mainesearchandrescue.org for more information.)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    120 searchers focused on 3miles, they have got to find something if they are in the right place, Thats a person every 130 ft.

If you remember the movie with Sylvester Stallone "First Blood" They search 3 feet apart.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    From a post about 20 minutes ago on the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife page:

SEARCH UPDATE FOR GERALDINE LARGAY August 4, 2013: At the conclusion of today’s search efforts there was no new attributing evidence or information found as to Geraldine’s location. At this point, the search for Geraldine Largay will be extensively scaled back.
    Sad but understandable at this point. I can't imagine what that feeling of not knowing is like. I pray that her family gets an answer eventually.
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

Images

At this late point it DOES sound like foul play. She's not there. Some weirdo with a 4x4 SUV on one of those logging roads? A hermit? It has happened before, not on the AT, but out West. Seems unlikely, though. Such a remote area, on a RAINY day. I think it's time for a psychic.
    I've lived too long to care what others think about me

Could possibly be one of the strangest stories I've ever heard. (true story). Is there a possibility of sink holes in the area?

Maybe a mod will delete it Grits. Here's hoping....

fins1838- There's been a lot of sink holes appearing this year all over the place... I mean people have been sucked into them while sleeping in their beds. That's a possibility.. Like Birdbrain said... anything is possible.

The terrain is not really sinkhole territory, basically dig down a few feet and its solid rock. There are cracks and crevices in areas usually related to rock falls. On my boundary section, which has similar terrain, there are numerous cliffs and drop offs which tend to really impede progress trying to retrace the boundary line. Some days if I can find 2 miles of boundary I am doing well and usually more than half my time is spent just getting up or down past sections that can not be traversed without technical gear.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Maybe a mod will delete it Grits. Here's hoping....

fins1838- There's been a lot of sink holes appearing this year all over the place... I mean people have been sucked into them while sleeping in their beds. That's a possibility.. Like Birdbrain said... anything is possible.
    Reported. Hopefully it is possible it disappears soon. No need to expound on every possible scenario. Prayer is needed, not bluntness.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The terrain is not really sinkhole territory, basically dig down a few feet and its solid rock. There are cracks and crevices in areas usually related to rock falls. On my boundary section, which has similar terrain, there are numerous cliffs and drop offs which tend to really impede progress trying to retrace the boundary line. Some days if I can find 2 miles of boundary I am doing well and usually more than half my time is spent just getting up or down past sections that can not be traversed without technical gear.
    Agreed. I think we can dismiss the sinkhole thought. Again, such a thing would have been seen by now. It isn't like those things move around.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

There is clearly some information that is not being shared if they are concentrating their search south of the Spaulding Mountain shelter. I assume there is a good reason for that.

As an FYI: I am staying at Sugarloaf base area now, and might be hiking near the search area late today or early tomorrow.

As for first hand information, there is not much activity in Sugarloaf base area now (no lifts running), but I do see one small vehicle which may be searching the ski slopes (or may be simply cutting the grass).

We all know what difficult terrain, and possibly getting disorientated can lead to! With that said, I still think her not being located over this long a period of time starts one thinking that this incident may be something more than "hiker getting lost/hurt in the woods". I certainly hope that someone finds her soon.

I just was stating the possible outcomes based on the info I have at the moment. There is nothing wrong with my post - it's direct and to the point. As life is. I do not sugarcoat reality, sorry if you are looking for that from me. I do not provide that.

My gut is leaning towards foul play on this one.

appears they are scaling the search back with no new leads or info

Like a lot of hikers and non hikers, Gerry's disappearance has touched me deeply and WB has given me a place to discuss this and follow the search hoping every time I log on that I will read good news. I can't even imagine what her loved one are going through...my thoughts and payers are with them and I want them to know that I didn't know her but I feel like I did from all the wonderful things I have read about her. May the answers we are all looking for be found and I still hold out hope. I believe at some point the authorities will tell us the true story of the mysterious caller that has many of us puzzled and appears to have sent SAR to far down the trail initially.

Quote Originally Posted by QuabbinHiker View Post
    I just was stating the possible outcomes based on the info I have at the moment. There is nothing wrong with my post - it's direct and to the point. As life is. I do not sugarcoat reality, sorry if you are looking for that from me. I do not provide that.

My gut is leaning towards foul play on this one.
    If it was your daughter, wife, sister, or mother you would see the ignorance of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    If it was your daughter, wife, sister, or mother you would see the ignorance of your post.
    Yes, very ignorant. As I said at the beginning of all this, I was with Gerry and her husband at the ATI in Sept '11 along with Kit Parks (if you watched the news video from earlier this week she was one of the friends that went to Maine to help search) along with six other people so it was an intimate group. Gerry and George were nothing but sweet and George was there 100% to support her dreams and learn about the trail because it was HER passion. That struck me as so incredibly sweet at the time as they had told me they had just celebrated their 40th anniversary and were starting out in retirement together. It made me only hope that my husband and I could could have that kind of relationship after 40 years off marriage. They were best friends.

I understand how it's easy for someone to not have compassion for someone they don't know if they don't have the life experience to understand that these are REAL people - not some actors on a lifetime movie. But tactfulness is a life skill that everyone should learn at some point.

Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 113 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++