WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 54 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2679

Getting lost here (a short trip for me ) so I have a question - you said "if the boys are correct". That would be ".com" and "Queen"?

cvt

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Leaving at 0900, arriving at 1600, that basically makes Ivanich a 1 mile/hour hiker - same as Gerry. That also would put her resting near the summit of Lone where the boys spotted the woman they first believed to be Gerry a little after 3pm (but then she would have had to cover the last 2+ miles at a 2 mph or better pace to make it to Spaulding by 4pm).
    To me, "Ivanich" is key to this whole thing...did she ever pass "Inchworm" between Poplar Ridge Lean to and Lone Mountain???? If "Ivanich" hiked 2 mph and "Inchworm" hiked at 1 mph, at what point should "Ivanich" have passed "Inchworm"?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Getting lost here (a short trip for me ) so I have a question - you said "if the boys are correct". That would be ".com" and "Queen"?

cvt
    No, .com and Queen are female southbound hikers. I believe "the boys" that were referred to are Crunchmaster and his friends that were also hiking southbound who believed they had seen Gerry near the top of Lone Mtn. The Wardens had interviewed them and apparently had them back out on the trail to help show the location of where they thought they had last seen her.

A couple of thoughts
    - the grid track from ATROLL's post [#1055] appear to be a thorough search of the ridge face south of Redington Pond
    - I am thankful they also intended to search south of the AT where two side streams to Oberton come off the ridge
    - I can't help but wonder about this young woman who was reported in Trail Journals before Gerry disappearance as seemingly to be a little bit strange being in the same shelter and traveling in the same direction. I know people have commented on how unfair that is, but it is just human nature to suspect someone who is "different" and had "opportunity".

Just so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I have heard back indirectly from the Maine Wardens and wanted to pass along the information I got. It came directly from a reliable source. This was written to someone from the investigator.

We plan on having another search Thursday covering the area south of the AT where two side streams to Oberton come off the mountain, we have not searched in that area yet.

Poplar Lean to is at the edge of the map on the left, it is not marked.

Added note about the ping;
    The last ping was on Lone Mountain. The ping just indicates a 30 mile radius, so all it tells us is that someone turned on the phone around 3pm

Attachment 23546
    The ping just brings a lump to my throat. She was trying to get word out to someone about her status.

Thanks for the post and update Troll and the map, that part is very helpful, now I understand the current focus of search for Thursday. I think she went missing quickly that morning and Ivanic (sic) never saw her again. I wonder why she didn't question that fact. I know when I got to a shelter and hadn't passed someone who started ahead of me (basically everyone) we would be wondering....
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    A couple of thoughts
    - the grid track from ATROLL's post [#1055] appear to be a thorough search of the ridge face south of Redington Pond
    - I am thankful they also intended to search south of the AT where two side streams to Oberton come off the ridge
    - I can't help but wonder about this young woman who was reported in Trail Journals before Gerry disappearance as seemingly to be a little bit strange being in the same shelter and traveling in the same direction. I know people have commented on how unfair that is, but it is just human nature to suspect someone who is "different" and had "opportunity".

Just so sad.
    I think it is dangerous to imply anything about someone from 2nd and 3rd hand sources. It has happened quite a bit in this thread. If it is human nature to "suspect someone who is different", then as a society, we have a real problem on our hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    The ping just brings a lump to my throat. She was trying to get word out to someone about her status.
    With all due respect, how do you even know that?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I think it is dangerous to imply anything about someone from 2nd and 3rd hand sources. It has happened quite a bit in this thread. If it is human nature to "suspect someone who is different", then as a society, we have a real problem on our hand.
    Of course, you are right. As a species, we have a long way to go.

With all due respect, how do you even know that?
    I don't know that, I mis-spoke, sorry for offending you. It makes me feel sad, you don't have to feel anything about it.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Of course, you are right. As a species, we have a long way to go.
    And I am not trying to start anything with anyone. The speculation made by some of the hardcore posters a few pages back, is equally as dangerous. People are blasting someone, whom they have never even met, and if they have, making all sorts of assumptions that she may be dangerous. I respect some folks opinion on this matter but making comments about someone's metal status when they dont know really much of anything disrespects the search for Gerry.
    The information is being passed to the person that should be getting the info, Troll. Let him and others directly involved continue doing what they are doing and lets try and keep all of this speculation out of it. It does nothing productive to make assumptions and false claims.

I don't know that, I mis-spoke, sorry for offending you. It makes me feel sad, you don't have to feel anything about it.
    Which is why I said, "With all due respect". You can feel sad about it all you want but you have no proof that Gerry was pinging for help.

So, assuming that all sightings of Gerry on the way to Spaulding were actually sightings of Ivanic, where/when was the last confirmed (via photo or someone who actually knew Gerry) location/date someone really saw her?

Wondering if it is possible that her last text messages were sent from Gerry's phone, but not actually made by Gerry herself?
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

The ping just brings a lump to my throat.
    I'm pretty sure the ping simply means the phone was triangulating. It's my understanding that a ping doesn't necessarily mean that a person is trying to use the phone. This whole thing is sad, though, and I share your lump in the throat.

Reading Trail Journals today there is a post from 'Morris the Cat' for August 17. He describes his hike around the AT and Fire Warden Trail in which he encounters a man, estimated to be in his 40's. He wrote:

"It was here, I met a French Canadian that spoke no real English. I actually believe he had some sort of mental illness. He was acting shifty and strange. He stood on the rocks in the stream and laughed loudly as he slapped the surface of the water...making "booooom" sounds and then clapping."

Is this in the area that Gerry would have walked near?

"Answer: We suspect that Gerry left about around 0630 hours only because of an interview with .COM and QUEEN. QUEEN stated that she saw Gerry about 6am on Monday Morning and QUEEN and .COM left Popular about 0645 am, Southbound. QUEEN stated that Gerry left about 15 minutes prior to that. We know that Gerry sent a text to her husband and stated that it was 0715 when she left lean-to and I think it actually did not push out until 0720 hours."There's still a time discrepancy. According to the above statement .com & Queen say she left 15 min before them which meant Gerry left at 0630. Gerry's txt to her husband states she left the LT at 0715. That's a 45 min. difference!
    If Gerry's txt is correct and I would assume ( I know) that Geoge saved those txt and has it in writting, then Gerry didn't leave before .com & Queen she left after them! Of course .com & Queen may be "guesstimating" the times rather than stating them as fact! Which may apply to everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishLass View Post
    I'm pretty sure the ping simply means the phone was triangulating. It's my understanding that a ping doesn't necessarily mean that a person is trying to use the phone. This whole thing is sad, though, and I share your lump in the throat.
    I'm pretty sure mobile phones routinely "ping" antennae, even if the phone is turned off. The only way it doesn't ping is if the battery is removed. So, unfortunately, the ping from Gerry's cell only tells us that her cell phone was in that area at that time.

Images

Which is why I said, "With all due respect". You can feel sad about it all you want but you have no proof that Gerry was pinging for help.
    Chaco, Bluebearee is a friend of Inchworm's. Maybe give some leeway.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

I didn't realize a phone would " ping" when it's turned off! That's odd !

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishLass View Post
    I'm pretty sure mobile phones routinely "ping" antennae, even if the phone is turned off. The only way it doesn't ping is if the battery is removed. So, unfortunately, the ping from Gerry's cell only tells us that her cell phone was in that area at that time.
    I think that ping means nothing more than the phone was turned on momentarily or that the atmospheric and locational conditions were just right at that moment for it to establish contact with a cell tower.
    If you keep your phone on all the time it is constantly "pinging" to locate the nearest cell phone towers and using up your battery. If, on the other hand you turn it off to preserve the battery, when you turn it on the phone will ping for the nearest tower(s).
    cvt

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    Reading Trail Journals today there is a post from 'Morris the Cat' for August 17. He describes his hike around the AT and Fire Warden Trail in which he encounters a man, estimated to be in his 40's. He wrote:

"It was here, I met a French Canadian that spoke no real English. I actually believe he had some sort of mental illness. He was acting shifty and strange. He stood on the rocks in the stream and laughed loudly as he slapped the surface of the water...making "booooom" sounds and then clapping."

Is this in the area that Gerry would have walked near?
    Although Morris the Cat can be a very creative writer, I hope he is being interviewed about this account. It is the first that we have heard about someone's being in that general area who is acting strangely. Never hurts to follow up.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Page 54 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++