WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ElephantEater View Post
    Hi,
    It's Kit(also at ATI with you). They sure are doing everything humanely possible to find her. Hopefully, today!
    Hey Kit, great to hear from you again on whiteblaze and thank you for your updates on Gerry. I'm in complete shock over this and having been praying for her to be found quickly and safely.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just over on Maine Inland Fisheries page, no new developments as of yet. Wow, this is sad.....

Oh no... was hopeful for good news this morning!

Images

Have faith. Donn Fendler was missing 9 days and he was found alive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donn_Fendler

Praying for good news today.

Kinda surprised I'm not hearing about this in the main stream media, been plenty of stories ran about missing hikers in the past...maybe they ran it and I just missed it...

can't even imagine what her family must be going through...this just sucks big time!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Kinda surprised I'm not hearing about this in the main stream media, been plenty of stories ran about missing hikers in the past...maybe they ran it and I just missed it...
    It's been on the local Maine TV news. No new info as of the 11 pm news last night.

I was flipping channels and I thought I heard she was found, but it was some other lady - an 81 year old who wandered off and spent the night in the woods and came out okay.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's been on the local Maine TV news. No new info as of the 11 pm news last night.

I was flipping channels and I thought I heard she was found, but it was some other lady - an 81 year old who wandered off and spent the night in the woods and came out okay.
    Well that's good to hear...that this other lady was found, and that they are running the story.

Images

Update here:

https://www.facebook.com/mainefishwi...ation=timeline

I wish I could go search. I wish we could get some local hikers up there to help, you know?

LARGAY SEARCH UPDATE
    Monday, July 29, 2013: The search continues today for Geraldine Largay. Several search assignments have been completed which are contained within two points on the AT. Several more assignments will be given today as well. The high probability search area is approximately eight miles on the AT and begins about one-half mile south of the Caribou Valley Road and extends south to Route 27, near Rangeley. The search area encompasses roughly 81 square miles. Weather conditions are cloudy this morning with a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. It is unlikely aircraft will be utilized today.

Largay search log to date in miles:
    Canine teams - 56.2 miles
    Hasty/Grid Teams (ground searchers) – 300.2 Miles
    Horse Teams – 26.9
    Aircraft/Helicopter – 338

Approximately 30 searchers will be out today to include Maine Game Wardens , Mahoosuc SAR, US Border Patrol, and the Maine Forest Service. Those with any information should call the Maine State Police Communications Center in Augusta at (207) 624-7076 or 1-800-452-4664 (Maine only).

This source of my last post is the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/mainefishwildlife

Sorry, I had not seen Goonky's post.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

She had with her what she needed to survive alone as long as she did not fall into a situation that was beyond her obvious capabilities. In a survival course I took, we were told that children tend to head up a mountain' grownups, down. Most important, of course, was to stay put. From her husband's comments, it seems that she would be sure to handle her situation well if she were physically capable. Those orange, loud whistles are important to have. A real investment, but those SAR satellite devices can make a big difference. Prayers are important too, both to the lost hiker and to the searchers. I hope good news comes today. Blabbering, Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

i pray she's found, and is safe. but i have a bad feeling this isn't a lost, injured, or survival situation. it seems to be the general concensus that she is experienced and well equiped. accidents happen though. has there been any indication or evidence of foul play? in addition to SAR efforts, is there any sort of criminal investigation going on?

Here's an article with maps of the search area. Thanks to Kit for alerting me to this.
    http://www.dailybulldog.com/db/featu...t-hiker-today/

Here's a link to an interview with the ranger on TV this evening with the latest on missing AT hiker Gerry Largay: http://www.wcsh6.com/video/default.a...=2572963462001

RustMD - was her husband George with her at the lean-to on Sunday night? I know that another hiker (Walker) wrote in his blog last week that he passed Gerry AND George on the trail Sunday morning. Just wondering if how far he may have traveled with her on that Sunday...

Quote Originally Posted by rustmd View Post
    i was at the lean-to sunday night w/ inchworm, and have shared my info w/ maine detectives. inchworm is well-prepared and very experienced, i'm surely hoping & praying for a good outcome in this.

i'm home now, hiked 252 miles SOBO from katahdin, an amazing hike! met lots of wonderful hikers, like inchworm.

.com
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

In the interview the officer stated that "there was no reason to suspect foul play!" I wonder how they could possibly rule that out at this point!
    Im not familiar with this area but I would think that any area near a road could present the possibility of an abduction. Not saying that's the case, I just believe it could be possible! Would she have been near a road crossing?
    I'm surprised this story isn't being carried on any of the major networks.
    I pray she will be found soon!

no, inchworm was alone. she says she meets her husband at road crossings. according to other news reports, there is another woman hiking who resembles inchworm (in age if nothing else) and she was asked manyu times if she was "inchworm". maybe she hikes w/ her husband, maybe that's who Walker saw.

.com

Maybe I watch too many Lifetime movies, but I wish we knew more about the unidentified female SOBO hiker who called the Stratton Motel to report she had spent the night at a shelter with Gerry. I'm having a hard time sorting out the timeline of events, but that call seems to have been made prior to it being widely publicized that Gerry was missing. What prompted the call? Was it really a fellow hiker who called or is it some sort of alibi?
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

To QHShowoman, I have been wondering the same thing about the call to the motel.. I follow AT news closely, especially in New England and the first I heard about Gerry was on Thursday night. I hate to think it, but something doesn't feel right. I so hope I am wrong.

Page 2 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++