WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 47 of 134 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Unless there are multiple towers to get the triangulation the ping can come from any point near the tower. In other words no pinpoint.
    Ok thanks that's what I was trying to ask days and pages ago. It's really just a triangulation. I wish they hadn't reported it as coming from Lone Mt specifically as if that was positively determined. BUT her phone did ping that afternoon on the 22nd. If she were injured perhaps that's all she could manage was to turn it on. It would explain why no text was sent as the service on top of Lone Mt I confirmed Sunday to be solid.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Carlson View Post
    Why doesn't he seem the least bit sad about his wife being missing?
    I'm sorry but the sentiment expressed in this post just really pisses me off. How dare anyone pretent to know how anyone should express their feelings of grief and loss.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Oddly that all 3 of those guys misidentified her, and then who was the lone female NOBO that they could have confused her with??? (she should have been someone that stayed at Spaulding the night of the 22nd) How many "older" lone female NOBO's would have been in that area - so close to Lone at the same time the ping came off of Gerry's phone?

I don't understand the "ping" thing means either, but this news seems strange to me as well.
    Ha! This WAS the same mis-identified woman. But she has to be SOBO. Seen on Lone Mt Monday afternoon by Crunchmaster. Walked 5 more miles to Poplar, tented and was seen packing up Tuesday morning by Rock Steady.

Does he have a TJ? Where is his post? FB?

Now I can let go of the wicked slow pace by Inchworm Monday : 5 miles in 8 hours from Poplar. Man.... who else was going south or north that Monday?
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

I think you're exactly right Bluebearee! His post is here on WB in the article on the homepage:

"I camped at the Redington Campsite on the night of July 21, and hiked to the shelter (the name fades me ) by. 8:30 am in the rain, where I met Inch Worm, who was then packing up camp but still had her tent to take down. I seriously doubt she went the wrong direction between that shelter and the state highway ME27(I recall), where I met her husband waiting for her arrival. With all day rain and treacherous trail conditions, particularly down into the notch before the Crockers, there is a greater probability that she slipped off the trail and was injured, though they should've found her by now! There is no way she was alive after the first week of not finding her. She did not have the food for that time. I feel so bad for her husband who was waiting so anxiously at the parking area, into the next morning! Rock Steady"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    Ha! This WAS the same mis-identified woman. But she has to be SOBO. Seen on Lone Mt Monday afternoon by Crunchmaster. Walked 5 more miles to Poplar, tented and was seen packing up Tuesday morning by Rock Steady.

Does he have a TJ? Where is his post? FB?

Now I can let go of the wicked slow pace by Inchworm Monday : 5 miles in 8 hours from Poplar. Man.... who else was going south or north that Monday?
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

.... but that would also mean that Crunchmaster, Halo, and Milkrun stayed at Poplar WITH that woman the night of the 22nd.

"pinging" a phone is the cellular company sending a signal to the phone that essentially asks "are you there?". If a phone is on, it would then reply with a status message that would include exact GPS coordinates IF THE PHONE WAS SO EQUIPPED. Some phones/ phone companies rely on triangulation which requires 3 cell sites to have heard the signal to get an accurate location. If two sites hear the signal and they have directional antennas, a location is a larger general area. If the phone can only hit one tower and there is no directional antennas, it would be a certain radius around the tower but can be very inaccurate. This radius is very dependent on terrain, trees & foliage, weather, etc. High, bare mountain is good, more chance of multiple towers and more accurate location on non-GPS fixes.

Cell phones that are GPS equipped can still have the GPS turned off (to save power perhaps). Some will turn on if 911 is used but other than that, it requires operator intervention.
    The cellular system can also show a historical trail of hits as your phone is constantly trying to stay in contact with the nearest tower. Sometimes that info is available to police.

I would be out of luck as my phone is off for days on end and is only turned on at the time of calling.

chris
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

Regarding "Spaulding Lean-To"

Hillwalker has said there are two shelters at Spaulding.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    Also, There are two shelters at Spaulding. One old and one new and they are not together. It might be possible to stay at one and not come in contact with someone staying at the other. Not too likely though.

Joshuasdad, which of the two Spaulding shelters did you stay at? With the hole, sounds like maybe the old one? Did you see the other Spaulding shelter?

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    Sliderule's point is a good one. While I believed, and still believe, that Inchworm may have bailed-out over Mt. Abraham, it is more likely that she actually made it to Spaulding Mtn. Lean-to. The trail was extremely easy between Lone Mtn. and Spaulding Mtn. Lean-to. She would not have texted, because Verizon service is poor at that Spaulding Mtn. Lean-to.

There are many reasons why she would have opted to tent nearby, rather than sleep at the shelter. When I stayed there last Monday night, there were probably more hikers camping (saw at least 3 tents, some multiperson) than in the shelter (4).
    The shelter also has a good sized hole in the platform towards the middle front, which may make the shelter unattractive. The hole possibly made the shelter uncomfortable--I slept behind the hole, and anytime someone turned over on the edges of the platform, I would feel a "wave," almost like the aftershocks from the Louisa, VA earthquake. Speaking of that hole, I wonder if it was searched?

If she did stay near the shelter, then it then becomes more likely that she was lost in the areas searched heavily at the beginning, especially the slopes of Sugarloaf Mountain. It was only after the mystery call was deemed to be unreliable that the search moved southward.

Which Spaulding Lean to was this photo taken at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mfrenchy View Post
    picture is of Spaulding Mtn Lean-to the night she stayed at Poplar, from Postman's blog

With exception of Hillwalker, people have been posting about Spaulding lean-to as though it is one single location. If someone sees someone or is seen at “Spaulding lean-to”, it makes a difference which one.

If there are two Spaulding shelters, the Warden Service will certainly already know about them.

But those of us here on Whiteblaze should be aware that there are apparently two separate shelters as we contemplate and discuss clues involving “Spaulding lean-to”.

Someone else on Whiteblaze may have some light to add on the two Spaulding shelters.

HUGE new development: I just got a call from Jane (her other hiking partner) and she got a call from one of the investigators. They now believe that the folks who thought that they saw Gerry near the apex of Lone Mountain confused her with someone else, and they think it is very possible that she never made it to Lone Mtn. Since Jane and I stopped our investigation just short of Perham stream, figuring Gerry had already long passed that, I do not know the terrain from Poplar Ridge to the base of Lone Mountain. Jane said she was told that there was some large cliff that was possible that Gerry could have fallen down and it would be very difficult to see her. The search is being re-directed to this section of the trail from what Jane understands. Question to those who know: please describe the terrain and potential danger areas. One last thing, remember that the search teams did cover the trails and side trails and logging roads, creeks and rivers from Poplar Ridge to Hwy 27, so it still wouldn't be an on/next to-the-trail mishap, but rather if she went off trail for the bathroom.

Thanks EE for the update! Hopefully this will help the SAR effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    I think you're exactly right Bluebearee! His post is here on WB in the article on the homepage:

"I camped at the Redington Campsite on the night of July 21, and hiked to the shelter (the name fades me ) by. 8:30 am in the rain, where I met Inch Worm, who was then packing up camp but still had her tent to take down. I seriously doubt she went the wrong direction between that shelter and the state highway ME27(I recall), where I met her husband waiting for her arrival. With all day rain and treacherous trail conditions, particularly down into the notch before the Crockers, there is a greater probability that she slipped off the trail and was injured, though they should've found her by now! There is no way she was alive after the first week of not finding her. She did not have the food for that time. I feel so bad for her husband who was waiting so anxiously at the parking area, into the next morning! Rock Steady"
    He has his dates wrong ^ in this post. He would have camped @ Redington the night of Monday the 22nd. I am basing that on the rainy day 24 miler which had to be the 23rd. She had already gone missing from the trail by that day and he wouldn't have seen her anywhere.

He has his dates wrong ^ in this post. He would have camped @ Redington the night of Monday the 22nd.
    See post #913.

If Mrs. Largay departed Poplar LT at 0715, Rock Steady should have reasonably overtaken her within a couple of hours or so. Apparently he did not. Perhaps she met with misfortune within a short distance (3-4 miles or less) north of the Poplar LT.

Disregard my previous post. One day off.

Yes, that's why we needed clarification. This is what he sent me today (post #913): I'm posting this PM with Rock Steady's permission:

Turtle Feet,

I did for certain, hike from Redington Campsite to ME 27, on the rainy day of July 23, as documented in my AWOL 2013 Guide. I'm thinking that if .com took a dated and time-stamped photo (and assuming the camera date was correct), that placing Inchworm at Spaulding on the morning of the 23rd is possible and that I mis-identified the older woman who looked exactly like Inchworm, was someone else. Mileage wise, it would've been physically impossible for me to hike from Redington to Spaulding Lean To by 8:30 am in the rain, regardless of the fact that I left at 6am. I did, without a doubt, hike 24 miles in the rain, from Redington to ME27, where I met Inchworm's husband waiting at the parking area around 7:30pm. Even if this older woman I identified as Inchworm at Poplar Ridge, was not her, I would've intercepted her at some point that day at my pace. She was the only older lady, appearing exactly like the woman in the photos posted everywhere, that I saw that day. She should've been found within a few days, regardless, given the two points we know she was between and one trail...albeit treacherous and steep
    RS

He has his dates wrong ^ in this post. He would have camped @ Redington the night of Monday the 22nd. I am basing that on the rainy day 24 miler which had to be the 23rd. She had already gone missing from the trail by that day and he wouldn't have seen her anywhere.

Someone, and I cannot remember who, told me that the 'ping' is not some super accurate GPS thingy...it only gives you a general vicinity. All I know/think is that this is the first real break in this unfathomable mystery and that perhaps we may finally find something that makes sense, since nothing else has. To me, all scenarios for the Mt Abram to Spaulding, had a fundamental reason why it was not plausible. Maybe now we can find Gerry.

Quote Originally Posted by ElephantEater View Post
    Someone, and I cannot remember who, told me that the 'ping' is not some super accurate GPS thingy...
    What you were told is correct.
    The ping is only a connect signal. That cell phone might be in any direction from the tower. N S E W. hiker8261 mentioned the GPS coordinates might be sent with the ping if the GPS was turned on. I would say unlikely they got any GPS coordinates. Even if turned on it may not have connected to a satellite. Not all phones do a good job of getting good GPS signals.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

So he is saying that he saw her at Poplar Lean-to on the 23rd?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    You have a misplaced modifier there. It is not the facts that are diminished. It is the efforts of those that have the facts that are diminished. Every time someone offers an illogical speculation it is done ignorantly or worse in direct opposition to those who have stated that said speculation is not reasonable. I tend to pay attention to the words of ElephantEater and respect what she says. When she says Inchworm would not do thus and such and a speculator suggests that she might of done thus and such, the authority's word is diminished by ignorant or crass speculators. The word of ElephantEater is an easy example. I met a pile of people looking for Inchworm. Every ignorant speculation by a sleuth behind a keyboard does a disservice to those on the ground. It is one thing to take the logical efforts of those on the ground and look for other possibilities using the information provided by those that would know. It is another matter to offer scenarios that have been dimissed as not viable by those who have the all the facts. Not all speculation is ignorant. Saying those that knew her best are wrong is ignorant.

It is time for me to move on past this thread. God bless all who have worked hard to find Inchworm. I still pray for a happy outcome. I am out.
    I dont think it diminishes anyones efforts. But I do think that you have to view things objectively.

The authorities failed already.

Why? because they did not search where she is, obviously. This is a fact.

I have little doubt that if they find her in the woods, the pieces will fall together and likely be seen that erroneous information, though thought highly probable at the time, was accepted prematurely as fact, and led them to search in the wrong places.

HUGE new development: I just got a call from Jane (her other hiking partner) and she got a call from one of the investigators. They now believe that the folks who thought that they saw Gerry near the apex of Lone Mountain confused her with someone else, and they think it is very possible that she never made it to Lone Mtn. Since Jane and I stopped our investigation just short of Perham stream, figuring Gerry had already long passed that, I do not know the terrain from Poplar Ridge to the base of Lone Mountain. Jane said she was told that there was some large cliff that was possible that Gerry could have fallen down and it would be very difficult to see her. The search is being re-directed to this section of the trail from what Jane understands. Question to those who know: please describe the terrain and potential danger areas. One last thing, remember that the search teams did cover the trails and side trails and logging roads, creeks and rivers from Poplar Ridge to Hwy 27, so it still wouldn't be an on/next to-the-trail mishap, but rather if she went off trail for the bathroom.
    Wow.... this seems HUGE!! She needs to be found!!

Someone, and I cannot remember who, told me that the 'ping' is not some super accurate GPS thingy...it only gives you a general vicinity. All I know/think is that this is the first real break in this unfathomable mystery and that perhaps we may finally find something that makes sense, since nothing else has. To me, all scenarios for the Mt Abram to Spaulding, had a fundamental reason why it was not plausible. Maybe now we can find Gerry.
    Does anyone know what kind of phone she had. Not provider -Verizon you said - but smart phone with GPS capability or not? The ping concerns me more now - different significance than a rest stop on Lone Mt.

Pings like stated are area ranges. Similar to network based location on smart phones. Colombian authorities used pings and triangulation to find and kill Pablo Escobar (Delta Force helped) so while pings can get found, it isn't easy.

Page 47 of 134 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++