WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 50 of 134 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2679

Default My interpretation

Been following this thread since the beginning (I was dancing in VT and hiking in MA at the time of the disappearance). I have been in Maine since August 1st and was just at the Perham Stream trail crossing this morning. I have been contacted by one of Gerry's hiking partners and have provided some information to the Maine Warden Service. It appears that Gerry was last seen at Poplar Ridge LT where she camped and set out early in the morning heading north towards Spaulding Mt. LT. So, she disappeared between Poplar Ridge LT and Rt.27. In my opinion, the environmental reasons would be the fords at Orbeton Stream and the Carrabassett River or having a bad fall while descending the steep cirque slope on the side of Sugarloaf. In my opinion, human reasons would be the number of non-hikers that frequent the Oberton Canyon/Perham Stream/Mt. Abrams side trail area due to the numerous logging roads/ATV access points in this area, and perhaps the Caribou Pond/Valley Rd. before the climb up South Crocker. The valid reason why she disappeared won't be known until she is found, if she is found.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Many early mornings I am kind of useless until I have been coffee'd and exercised. Still sometimes I think that it would be better if I were not driving just yet. It's not that I could not drive but rather that I miss little inconsequential things that might have mattered until the fog has lifted in my mind. Rustmd reports that the morning of the 21st, Inchworm was up and out by 7:00 AM and had been laughing. I wonder if spent the next 2.7 hours (2.7 miles) thinking back on the good time she had enjoyed the previous night. After hiking 2.7 miles (Had she eaten breakfast?) she arrived at a point that David identifies as "Woods road, NoBo, turn east on road.) Back to me, at that point I could easily have turned west rather than east. I would have just forded Orbeton Stream. Of I had no difficulty with the ford, I might have added eurphoria about that to the happy memories of the previous evening. Was that road searched for miles in each direction? According to DeLorme's atlas, a turn to the left (west) would lead her into the woods farther and farther with nothing special at the end. To the right would lead her to the bridge that is out. I think both were searched, but since I am so aware of the sometimes brain fog I push my way through after a good night's sleep, I am just shouting "Yea! Yea!" for another, deeper look-see, especially to the west.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Found this entry on the "TrailJournals" site:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=381964
    Steps' 2012
    Appalachian Trail Journal
    Sunday, June 10, 2012
    Destination: Front Royal
    Starting Location: Waynesboro, VA
    Today's Miles: 0.00
    Trip Miles: 0.00
    … I almost forgot about Ivanic. The day before the Wolf pack fire I had a little adventure of my own. I was supposed to meet Rocket at a view point where we had planned to stealth camp. It was a very hot day and I was feeling like a change of pace so I took a random blue blaze off the AT. I didn't realize, not all blue blazes circle back to the trail and I didn't have the current pages of the guide book. So the blue blaze ended and I found myself walking on a forest service road. As long as I was walking north I felt ok about it. This continued for about 4 miles. Into a new, unmarked trail. But I was still walking north. When I stopped to get water I saw a deer tick crawling up my pack so immediately I checked myself, I looked down and there was about ten crawling all over my feet, a couple making their way up my leg and two had already bitten me. The ground looked like it was moving. Screw the water I was out of there. Thank God I had just bought new tweezers. I hate ticks! At this point the trail came to a residential road. I figured I shoud knock on someones door and find out where I was. This was a terrible idea. Almost getting attacked by a dog I decided to continue walking north. Finally after a couple miles walking in 93 degree, humid heat I was able to stop a woman driving by to find out where I was. She didn't offer me a ride so I kept walking. I had about 2 more miles to walk on the hot cement until I came to a town that was no where near the Blue Ridge Parkway or the trail. How on earth I got this far, I have no idea. I was walking north! Finally, I was able to get a truck to pull over and drop me off at a gas staion in Buchanan. When I got there no one had any idea where the trail was so I bought a beer and sat outside on the curb waiting for the universe to make something happen. That it did. The lady at the register was asking everyone that walked in the store if they knew where the trail was and a redneck offered to take me, out of his way, to the swimming hole, a popular spot on the trail where he figured I got off. This was about 4 miles ahead of where I was supposed to meet Rocket. At this point I didn't care. What an entertaining ride. He asked if I didn't mind if he stopped to drink a beer because in the state of Virginia it is illegal to drink and drive at the same time. Like a gentelman he offered me one too. I said I didn't mind. When we got to the swimming hole he realized he forgot to stop and drink his beer so feeling guilty he gave me three beers to take. One to feel good, two to feel better, and three to help me sleep. Once I found a spot to camp I noticed another AT hiker setting up in a site that was full of garbage. Since this was a sketchy area I asked her if she wanted to camp with me. She seamed pleased. Her name is Ivanic. I had passed her earlier around Tinker Cliffs when I was hiking southbound, but she didn't remember. When I continued talking she stopped me and said she didn't want to pry. I made a fire and offered it to her to cook, but she didn't pay me any attention. She was very quiet and reserved so I left her alone. When she went into her tent the strangest thing happened. Many voices and lots of movement was coming from her tent. Shouting and singing, rolling around. Lasting about an hour, this was a little bit frightening. It started up again the next morning. I just laid in my hammock still as could be when she came out of the tent. Singing and moaning a little more quietly she ignored my presence and laid down to read. I heard Rocket yelling for me so I got up, packed up my things at lightening speed and got out of there. I told Rocket about Ivanic, but little did she know she would experience it for herself. The night of the wolf pack fire Ivanic showed up. This was a busy shelter, not only did we get to enjoy Ivanic and her three voices, but there was also the Discovery School for boys camping with us. It was a group of teenage boys who all have either assault and battery or drug charges against them. I'm sure they are all good kids who got off on the wrong foot, but maybe the Appalachian trail isn't the right place for them. But who am I to say, they were incredibly organized and polite and with Ivanic's company we had an entertaining night. I was a little dissapointed because her voices were more violent the night I was alone with her. They mellowed out for the crowded shelter. I wonder if she has multiple personalities and they only come out at night. She doesn't socialize with anyone on the trail so maybe that with hiking is her way of keeping them under control. I don't know much about MPS but we have so much time to think out here you just start to come up with random ideas. Who knows. ...

cvt

I know - I read that too - creepy. There is a pic of her, maybe .com can give us a positive ID on her...

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=657082
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Inchworm sleeping in the shelter with Ivanic tenting outside might account for the reported older woman hiker who had a tent and wasn't packed up yet but was still at the shelter after Inchworm had started north.

cvt

Ivanic(h?) is who I was referring to in my previous post when I mentioned another NoBo solo hiker w/ short hair & glasses. I believe wardens have spoken with her since she spent that Monday night @ Spaulding and is probably one of the people who confirmed that Inchworm did not make it there that night.

Roughdrafts - is that her pic in the link I posted just above (#983)???

Quote Originally Posted by roughdrafts View Post
    Ivanic(h?) is who I was referring to in my previous post when I mentioned another NoBo solo hiker w/ short hair & glasses. I believe wardens have spoken with her since she spent that Monday night @ Spaulding and is probably one of the people who confirmed that Inchworm did not make it there that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    I know - I read that too - creepy. There is a pic of her, maybe .com can give us a positive ID on her...

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=657082
    I think Ivanic in this photo looks amazingly like the photos I've seen of Inchworm. I can imagine it would be very easy to confuse them.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishLass View Post
    I think Ivanic in this photo looks amazingly like the photos I've seen of Inchworm. I can imagine it would be very easy to confuse them.
    I believe Ivanic is the woman on the left.

Correct. Ivanic is not the woman in the middle, she's the younger woman on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I believe Ivanic is the woman on the left.

2010 complete

2013 Ivanic is college age

Correct. Ivanic is not the woman in the middle, she's the younger woman on the left.
    I know, but I think the woman on the left really resembles Inchworm, at least the photos I've seen of Inchworm. The woman on the left seems to have the same build, height, haircut, glasses. If they were standing together the difference would probably be obvious. But if a hiker saw Ivanic, briefly, and then later on saw a photo of Inchworm, maybe the hiker could get confused. Maybe?

Here is a small side by side comparison of Ivanic and Inchworm. I could see how you could get them mistaken.ivanic-inchworm.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

I have not shimmed in but one thought that has crossed my mind that Inchworm could have done and I am not sure if this was something the Maine Wardens looked into.

If she wanted to get off the trail early she might have bypassed Spaulding Lean-to and moved on to the summit of Sugarloaf and tried to walk down the ski trails. There is a trail from the summit house to the bottom but I have gotten confused and taken the wrong trail when walking down this way before. She could have taken the wrong trail down and had an accident. I hope this was looked into.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Carlson View Post
    Here is a small side by side comparison of Ivanic and Inchworm. I could see how you could get them mistaken.ivanic-inchworm.jpg
    Thanks for posting the photo!

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I have not shimmed in but one thought that has crossed my mind that Inchworm could have done and I am not sure if this was something the Maine Wardens looked into.

If she wanted to get off the trail early she might have bypassed Spaulding Lean-to and moved on to the summit of Sugarloaf and tried to walk down the ski trails. There is a trail from the summit house to the bottom but I have gotten confused and taken the wrong trail when walking down this way before. She could have taken the wrong trail down and had an accident. I hope this was looked into.
    I had also thought about buildings on sugarloaf, esp since it was raining. But, the more I read and understand how populated the trail was that day with hikers traveling both directions and no one saw her, it doesn't sound like she made it far from Poplar Ridge Shelter.

2010 complete

how far is the water source from Poplar Ridge shelter? Could she have gone for water before leaving and miss getting back on the trail?

2010 complete

Ok, Now I'm going to go out on a limb. I have read about mushrooms at Poplar Ridge Shelter including poisonous mushrooms. Could she have eaten the mushrooms and become violently ill? hey, it's better than the alien theory....

Quote Originally Posted by roughdrafts View Post
    Hi all. I was hiking northbound on this section around the time Inchworm disappeared, and I've spent the last three weeks following the story as closely as possible, but I just recently finished my hike and was finally able to catch up with this thread. I don't know if I can be of any help, and I've already told wardens everything I know (including a list of names of people who spent Monday & Tuesday nights at Spaulding as well as Tuesday night at Poplar) but I believe they've caught up with and talked to all relevant parties by now.

My timeline is as follows:
    Monday evening the 22nd - hike from Rangeley to Piazza Rock Lean-To
    Tuesday the 23rd - hike from Piazza Rock (leaving at 5am) to Poplar Ridge Lean-To (arriving at 10am); spend all day/night there to wait out the rain
    Wednesday the 24th - hike from Poplar Ridge (leaving at 6:45am) to Rt. 27 (arriving at 7:30pm) with a break at Spaulding Mtn Lean-To

I did not see Inchworm during this time, and I first heard that she was missing from SoBo hikers on Wednesday afternoon. That evening I met George Largay at the trailhead and told him everything I knew, including names of people to talk to (some of those names appeared on the first flyer that was posted, but again I believe wardens have since talked to all of them).

I should note that there was a NoBo female hiker with short hair & glasses on the trail during this time (I believe she spent Sunday night at Poplar Ridge & Monday night at Spaulding), but she's young and I doubt she'd be mistaken for someone in her 60s (though who knows?). I don't think I remember seeing any solo female SoBos, but I could be wrong.

Unfortunately I don't remember details of the terrain between Poplar Ridge and Spaulding so I can't help there.
    That sounds like Ivanic was the NoBo female hiker with short hair and glasses. The question is did Ivanic pass Inchworm hiking north from Poplar Ridge Lean to? Is sounds like Ivanic made it to Spaulding Mountain Lean to and Inchworm didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Carlson View Post
    That sounds like Ivanic was the NoBo female hiker with short hair and glasses. The question is did Ivanic pass Inchworm hiking north from Poplar Ridge Lean to? Is sounds like Ivanic made it to Spaulding Mountain Lean to and Inchworm didn't.
    I'm so confused by ChuckT's post- that "Ivanic" was mentioned in a journal (Steps) from 2012. She sounds creepy too.

Is this same Ivanic hiking the trail in 2013 too??

Page 50 of 134 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 100 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++