WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 72 of 134 FirstFirst ... 22 62 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 82 122 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2679

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    One of the strange things about it is that it's on a company website, not a general news website. I've been wondering if anyone has seen anything else about these purported clues. I'm hoping this is a real breakthrough.
    I hope they really found something of value, and this isn't just some ill-advised attempt to use a private search as a marketing vehicle for their company. It's in poor taste to use a tragedy in such a way. I've been in marketing for a number of years and this is not what I would consider best practices by any stretch.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I hope they really found something of value, and this isn't just some ill-advised attempt to use a private search as a marketing vehicle for their company. It's in poor taste to use a tragedy in such a way. I've been in marketing for a number of years and this is not what I would consider best practices by any stretch.
    The Maine Guide in that report has a great many Big Foot search videos on line.

Here's a video of them reportedly finding a sport's bra and other miscellaneous stuff. Uploaded yesterday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKiT9...9ppJ7w&index=1

.com & Queen came across Orberton & Perham on Sunday, the afternoon before Gerry would have on Monday morning, there was no rain on Sunday or Monday morning. Rustmd - can you speak to the height of the streams on Sunday?
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I'm looking at their video - aren't they in the wrong river???? Isn't that Carabassett?

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    I'm looking at their video - aren't they in the wrong river???? Isn't that Carabassett?
    They also said that she texted from Sugarloaf Mt and only had 7 miles to go before meeting her husband. I never heard of any contact since Poplar.

2010 complete

They found a sports bra and lunch baggie. My guess is someone was rinsing their bra and lost it, and someone else littered during lunch. I don't think she got that far. I think whatever happened, happened early 'cause no one saw her that day after she left the shelter. I was in that area on the Thursday prior and it was populated. Someone should have seen her.

Exactly my thoughts Modiyooh, but hey, if they do find something of value, God bless 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    They found a sports bra and lunch baggie. My guess is someone was rinsing their bra and lost it, and someone else littered during lunch. I don't think she got that far. I think whatever happened, happened early 'cause no one saw her that day after she left the shelter. I was in that area on the Thursday prior and it was populated. Someone should have seen her.

Images

Turtlefeet...They are at the Carrabassett River...do you think they should be at Oberton?? (which was a more significant crossing than the Carrabassett when I went through this year).

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I agree, I think whatever happened occurred within a few hours of leaving Poplar Ridge LT. Just 2.5 miles north of Poplar Ridge LT is Orbeton Stream.
    I believe that at that time the creek was low since the heavy rains happened a day later. It's a rock hop across normally.
    There is a woods road in the north side of the stream which allows close access to the AT.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Yes Robin - there's no evidence that Gerry made it even past Perham Stream. Don is right, whatever happened that Monday was early enough in the day that she was not seen by any other hikers on the trail - either the SOBO's that would have passed her near Lone Mountain, or Ivanic, the other NOBO that stayed with her at Poplar Sunday night. Ivanic, given the time she left Poplar Monday morning, and their both her and Gerry's rate of hiking speed, should have passed Gerry somewhere in that Orbetron/Perham area.

My personal opinion - she is nowhere near the trail. I believe she was lured away from the trail near Barnjum Rd., probably got in a vehicle and that's why the scent dogs are coming up with nothing. Around 3pm that day, her phone was still pinging within a 30 mile radius - that's a potentially very large search area! Again, I have no "inside info" regarding that, but it seems to be the most logical explanation given all the facts that have been made known to the public so far.

on sunday, july 21, queen & i left carabasset river tent site (we were the only ones tenting there, nice tentsites right next to the river, we stopped there early Sat. due to overcast skies, late afternoon, wanting to stop early) @ 6:45 a.m. this river crossing was easy, with low-volume water flowing steady--this is the crossing with the "plank" in place. the other 2 streams, perham & overtone were also easily crossed--all def. had water flowing but had receeded in light of recent rains.

that being said, if i had slipped & fallen in, i would've been able to right myself, the current was not as strong as the currents in the northern streams/rivers where we crossed earlier in july.

of course, there are lots of rocks/boulders in the water where i also could hit my head. . .that could be different. i'm not a fan of river crossings, i take my time, glad i had someone w/ me for all of maine's crossings.

i'll keep praying for inchworm. . .there has to be something.

.com

I find it hard to believe that no one check that river down stream, early in the search. Maybe they didn't think she got that far. That river can be hazardous to cross if the water is just a little high.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

They did a "Hasty Search" of the streams in the area, but remember that they had eyewitnesses that placed Gerry further north. We now know those eye witnesses were mistaken.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

just a thought. some folks do not use the shelter privies when they need to go to the bathroom. is there any chance inchworm could have walked northward on the trail for a short stretch and then at some point walked into the nearby woods to relive herself and had some sort of natural episode to render her lifeless? if she was folloing LNT rules then that distance could be anywhere upards of 200ft give or take some. if she moved one hour that could be a 2 to 3 mile stretch of trail possibly 500ft wide if u go left and rite of the trail....just vanish?????

Quote Originally Posted by nitewalker View Post
    if she was folloing LNT rules...
    If…???

Didn't leave a trace, did she?

If she had experienced a fatal event within a few hundred feet of the trail, the "trace" would have been unmistakable. No doubt about it.

Yes, sliderule is right - if she were ANYWHERE near the trail, animals would have left a trail of her gear by now that could easily have been spotted - either on foot, or by air. She's not there.

except that NOBO from Poplar Ridge, the Trail is extremely densely settled in "glacially smoothed & steep rock" over which the rain water pours. . .i noted in my journal that if i left the Trail 6" either way, i'd be in deep trouble. incredibly dense forest area, an area formed by "glacially smoothed rock" that provides a lot of quasi-options to the Trail. . .hikers must be alert and completely mindful of the blazes. i hiked this part w/ a partner who continued to call ahead the blazes she saw. . .inchworm was alone, making all the decisions herself. . .and something, somehow, somewhere went wrong. . .

.com

I think that this 'lead' was a lead to a sales promo and wrote an email to them blasting them for it. Shameful. Despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by ElephantEater View Post
    I think that this 'lead' was a lead to a sales promo and wrote an email to them blasting them for it. Shameful. Despicable.
    That is exactly how I read it as well. You don't use a situation like this to troll for new business

Page 72 of 134 FirstFirst ... 22 62 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 82 122 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++