WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Leave the shelters open and keep the chain link fences back in the dark ages. The GSMNP has the highest concentration of bears of any National Park. In over 80 years the park has been in existence, there has been only one human fatality due to a bear attack. That park is most visited national park in the nation, so there clearly are lots of opportunities for the bears and humans to interact. Sometimes bad human behavior breaks the natural fear black bears have of humans and corrective actions have to be taken. The Park Service does a phenomenal job trying keep humans safe and also protect the bears and give them a natural life among the millions of visitors. Folks need to chill with the knee jerk reactions and recognized that the current program is working pretty well.

I heard from two sources that the guy had lathered up with coconut oil prior to going to bed. Anybody else heard this?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    I heard from two sources that the guy had lathered up with coconut oil prior to going to bed. Anybody else heard this?

Your "sources" fed you a bunch of BS....

the he victim has responded in a different thread and has posted a link to his account of what happened.....

Just a rumour I guess. I read the account. Very scary.

Images

You shoulda questioned your sources as to why anyone would lather themselves up with coconut oil before going to bed.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Haaaa...sure it wasn't KY....funny shi!....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Haaaa...sure it wasn't KY....funny shi!....

That would be for a completely different type of "bear" attack....

I think early on some shelter goers theorized he had coconut scented sunscreen. He had sunscreen, unopened and said had not used any.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    That would be for a completely different type of "bear" attack....

I think early on some shelter goers theorized he had coconut scented sunscreen. He had sunscreen, unopened and said had not used any.
    I believe other parks will fine a person for leaving unopened sunscreen in a parked vehicle, and require such items to be kept in a bear canister when backpacking. Perhaps it's to avoid unfortunate circumstances like these.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by August W. View Post
    I believe other parks will fine a person for leaving unopened sunscreen in a parked vehicle, and require such items to be kept in a bear canister when backpacking. Perhaps it's to avoid unfortunate circumstances like these.
    Good policy to keep things simple for all to understand -- sort of like when Wegman's Supermarkets instructs its cashiers to card everyone buying beer, including my 84 year-old mother.

That said, I sincerely do not think an unopened 1-oz tube of sunscreen was the root cause of this specific incident.

Do you?

Images

i went on what the Park's PIO told me was in the inventory of what was in his tent.........

Journal Entries

Just hiked from Standing Bear to Hot Springs Thursday through Saturday, June 9-10-11-2016. We spent two nights on the AT at tent sites. There were four of us and we were awakened each night by a bear walking up to, and around our tents. A female hiker walked by our site Friday late afternoon and informed a bear got to her bag and then returned for her cook set. She had to go back into Hot Springs for supplies. I have been on the trail numerous times section hiking with my sons. This is the first time I have experienced a bear at my tent in the middle of the night. I will admit, it was unnerving to say the least! We all just kept still and waited for the bear to walk away. (About 30 minutes later.) Our bags were hung about 30 yards away from our tents. I would like to mention that the fire pits at these two tent sites had empty tuna pouches, empty Frito lay bags and candy wrappers strewn about. I don't know if that was what attracted the bears, but I hope if you do this as a habit, stop. If you see one throw empty food wrappers into the fire pits, slap them around for me and everyone else!!!

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bluebird View Post
    a bear got to her bag and then returned for her cook set.
    We all just kept still and waited for the bear to walk away. (About 30 minutes later.)
    I wonder if her bag was hung? Anyway, I think the proper protocol in that situation would have been to act like a troop of angry chimpanzees. I wouldn't want the bear to make the wrong decision like in the OP.

On June 3 I day hiked to Charlie's Bunion from the Newfound Gap parking lot. A guy there showed me his backpack that had been torn in several places by a bear the night before. He was from the left coast and had put his pack into a metal box he mistakenly thought was for that purpose. He said he thought it was closed securely but a bear got into it during the night. They chased off the bear after it drug the pack about 100 feet. He found his pack and food in an area with other items the bear had been taking from backpackers. He described it all as trash/scraps. Unfortunately I do not recall the shelter he mentioned, but it was not the Icewater shelter nearby. His girlfriend who was hiking with him joked that she wanted to frame her food bag with a bear gash in it. It sounds like the problem is simply people leaving food near shelters.

As someone who wants to do a thru hike, these aren't the trail stories I hoped to hear.

Maybe I will carry a small air horn.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    As someone who wants to do a thru hike, these aren't the trail stories I hoped to hear.
    How about this story, then:

I'm in GSMNP 3-5 times a week when bears are out there, and see them all the time. Today I saw 2 cubs and "something" in some bushes I couldn't actually see. I admit to taking a small 22g pepper spray today because I know this trail has lots of bears, but I'm not going to carry the one pound grizzly blaster. (I also walked right past a rattle snake, that was worse.)

I've seen some more bears in Shenandoah and in western PA. Not one between Springer and Fontana in 2010, though. (Only rodents, actually, not even a deer.)

I've never had a serious problem. The worst thing that's happened to me is that one time, on a rarely used trail, a bear moved its head from side to side and pawed at the ground, in which case I backed away and left, which is what he wanted. Otherwise, even though I'm usually alone I've always gotten them to yield the trail by acting aggressively, or else I've just let them pass, or passed by them, as long as they were aware of my presence.

Bang your hiking sticks together or pick up a branch. Use your "bad dog" voice. There's also no need to endlessly harass them if they've already run into the bushes, or are going about their business. The more habituated ones will sometimes just treat you like part of the scenery. You'll be fine, you'll get used to it. There's no need for FUD, bear attacks are very, very rare. Thousands of people go to the backcountry in the national parks and forests every year. Only rarely are they preyed upon.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 06-14-2016 at 21:22.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    On June 3 I day hiked to Charlie's Bunion from the Newfound Gap parking lot. A guy there showed me his backpack that had been torn in several places by a bear the night before. He was from the left coast and had put his pack into a metal box he mistakenly thought was for that purpose. He said he thought it was closed securely but a bear got into it during the night. They chased off the bear after it drug the pack about 100 feet. He found his pack and food in an area with other items the bear had been taking from backpackers. He described it all as trash/scraps. Unfortunately I do not recall the shelter he mentioned, but it was not the Icewater shelter nearby. His girlfriend who was hiking with him joked that she wanted to frame her food bag with a bear gash in it. It sounds like the problem is simply people leaving food near shelters.

Maybe I will carry a small air horn.
    I've never seen a bear on the AT...saw my first one few months ago on the foothills trail. That said I've not hiked through SNP or GSNP and bring my dog "Bear Bait"....his new trail name.... The bear is the black thing in the middle fishing on the Chattooga River..

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    How about this story, then:

I'm in GSMNP 3-5 times a week when bears are out there, and see them all the time. Today I saw 2 cubs and "something" in some bushes I couldn't actually see. I admit to taking a small 22g pepper spray today because I know this trail has lots of bears, but I'm not going to carry the one pound grizzly blaster. (I also walked right past a rattle snake, that was worse.)

I've seen some more bears in Shenandoah and in western PA. Not one between Springer and Fontana in 2010, though. (Only rodents, actually, not even a deer.)

I've never had a serious problem. The worst thing that's happened to me is that one time, on a rarely used trail, a bear moved its head from side to side and pawed at the ground, in which case I backed away and left, which is what he wanted. Otherwise, even though I'm usually alone I've always gotten them to yield the trail by acting aggressively, or else I've just let them pass, or passed by them, as long as they were aware of my presence.

Bang your hiking sticks together or pick up a branch. Use your "bad dog" voice. There's also no need to endlessly harass them if they've already run into the bushes, or are going about their business. The more habituated ones will sometimes just treat you like part of the scenery. You'll be fine, you'll get used to it. There's no need for FUD, bear attacks are very, very rare. Thousands of people go to the backcountry in the national parks and forests every year. Only rarely are they preyed upon.
    The problem is that I don't think pepper spray is advisable while inside a tent. Usually, I leave my sticks and rocks outside my tent.... therefore I am left with my "bad dog" voice! Seriously, what should one do if a bear is within reach of your tent in the middle of the night? The bear woke all 4 of us up by stumbling down the hillside and took us by total surprise. I did un zip my tent so that I had an escape route. Facing a bear on the trail is one this and a bear outside your tent at night is another.

The problem is that I don't think pepper spray is advisable while inside a tent. Usually, I leave my sticks and rocks outside my tent.... therefore I am left with my "bad dog" voice! Seriously, what should one do if a bear is within reach of your tent in the middle of the night? The bear woke all 4 of us up by stumbling down the hillside and took us by total surprise. I did un zip my tent so that I had an escape route. Facing a bear on the trail is one this and a bear outside your tent at night is another.
    Need a bright headlamp! Another reason to carry a good one! At least you can see him before he eats ya!!!

I'll probably catch hell from a lot of hikers, but I carry a few firecrackers to scare away bears. I have NEVER had to use them, but I figure one of them set off anywhere near a troublesome bear will probably send it running.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I'll probably catch hell from a lot of hikers, but I carry a few firecrackers to scare away bears.
    Personally I think bear bangers should be legal in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bluebird
    The problem is that I don't think pepper spray is advisable while inside a tent. Usually, I leave my sticks and rocks outside my tent.... therefore I am left with my "bad dog" voice! Seriously, what should one do if a bear is within reach of your tent in the middle of the night?
    (The spray was more a security blanket for me than anything else, anyway. If I really thought I might have to use it, it would be logical to carry the big bottle.)

I'm not a bear expert so take what I say with a grain of salt, I'll probably be eaten tomorrow. If a bear is not pursuing me, and is far enough off the trail, I just carefully walk past it. I don't have all day, and being foolishly assertive goes a long way to getting them to yield. The difference is when it's pawing at the ground and asking for space, in which case I would yield. In my experience, after you chase them off the trail, they hide in the bushes but don't just run off towards the horizon in fear of their lives. They know what you are. I have mixed feelings about harassing them too much. Even if they haven't totally left the scene, once they're off the trail in front of me it has been safe to pass, while keeping an eye on them.

As for camp, or if a bear is approaching you, I was only half-kidding about the "angry chimp" act. Clap your hands, make a bunch of noise. Pick up a stick and beat it. (Against a tree, not the bear.) I used to bring my poles into my tent, when I carried them. Make it known that you will not go gentle into that big mouth. If you have a bunch of people it shouldn't be too hard to scare a bear away. Or you can just put in some ear plugs and forget about it. Lots of people on this board just sleep with their food. (Ok, kidding about the ear plugs.)

I'm a hiker, not a camper, so I've spent few nights outside when I can just go home and shower. But here are some examples of encounters and what I did:

We saw the resident bear at Mollies Ridge last week, and it was clearly heading toward the cables. One person yelling made it hesistate, but when two people got into the act, it turned tail and ran away. Neither of us had hiking poles, but hand clapping was very effective.

On my way towards Cosby Knob shelter, I ran into a smaller bear or female heading towards me on the trail, in the opposite direction. I "verbally assaulted" it and then picked up a stick. The bear went into the bushes, but just off the trail. I threw the stick in such a way that it hit some other bushes, and the bear went a little further. At that point I passed.

Last year, I turned a corner and saw a gigantic male walking towards town in the evening. It ignored me until I hit my sticks together, at which point it stopped and turned its head towards me. I decided that making a challenging display was probably not a good idea. I stopped hitting the sticks together, and then it just turned its head away and resumed its walk towards town.

On the same trail, I treed some cubs and the mother was sitting at the bottom of the tree watching me. It was probably less than 50' from me. I kept an eye on her but just walked down the trail, away from the scene.

In Shenandoah, I was doing one of the hikes and there was a bear in the river. When it heard me, it aggressively ran up the bank and perked up its ears. I said "hey bear" a few times so it could figure out where I was, and just slowly walked down the trail, making sure I wasn't being pursued. That was one of the more nervous encounters because it was one of my first.

On a lesser used trail, I encountered two bears. They scattered when they heard me, but I knocked the poles together to be sure. Instead of sideways into the bushes, they ran up the trail ahead of me and around the corner. I had to carefully round the corner and scare them again, before they went sideways into the bushes.

Anyway, its fun to tell stories, but I hope I'm not making it sound like a bigger deal than it is. Most of the time you won't have to do much, they'll just run away, and it's cool to see one. Seeing a bear makes you feel alive.... at least temporarily.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 06-15-2016 at 08:30.

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    Personally I think bear bangers should be legal in the US.

(The spray was more a security blanket for me than anything else, anyway. If I really thought I might have to use it, it would be logical to carry the big bottle.)

I'm not a bear expert so take what I say with a grain of salt, I'll probably be eaten tomorrow. If a bear is not pursuing me, and is far enough off the trail, I just carefully walk past it. I don't have all day, and being foolishly assertive goes a long way to getting them to yield. The difference is when it's pawing at the ground and asking for space, in which case I would yield. In my experience, after you chase them off the trail, they hide in the bushes but don't just run off towards the horizon in fear of their lives. They know what you are. I have mixed feelings about harassing them too much. Even if they haven't totally left the scene, once they're off the trail in front of me it has been safe to pass, while keeping an eye on them.

As for camp, or if a bear is approaching you, I was only half-kidding about the "angry chimp" act. Clap your hands, make a bunch of noise. Pick up a stick and beat it. (Against a tree, not the bear.) I used to bring my poles into my tent, when I carried them. Make it known that you will not go gentle into that big mouth. If you have a bunch of people it shouldn't be too hard to scare a bear away. Or you can just put in some ear plugs and forget about it. Lots of people on this board just sleep with their food. (Ok, kidding about the ear plugs.)

I'm a hiker, not a camper, so I've spent few nights outside when I can just go home and shower. But here are some examples of encounters and what I did:

We saw the resident bear at Mollies Ridge last week, and it was clearly heading toward the cables. One person yelling made it hesistate, but when two people got into the act, it turned tail and ran away. Neither of us had hiking poles, but hand clapping was very effective.

On my way towards Cosby Knob shelter, I ran into a smaller bear or female heading towards me on the trail, in the opposite direction. I "verbally assaulted" it and then picked up a stick. The bear went into the bushes, but just off the trail. I threw the stick in such a way that it hit some other bushes, and the bear went a little further. At that point I passed.

Last year, I turned a corner and saw a gigantic male walking towards town in the evening. It ignored me until I hit my sticks together, at which point it stopped and turned its head towards me. I decided that making a challenging display was probably not a good idea. I stopped hitting the sticks together, and then it just turned its head away and resumed its walk towards town.

On the same trail, I treed some cubs and the mother was sitting at the bottom of the tree watching me. It was probably less than 50' from me. I kept an eye on her but just walked down the trail, away from the scene.

In Shenandoah, I was doing one of the hikes and there was a bear in the river. When it heard me, it aggressively ran up the bank and perked up its ears. I said "hey bear" a few times so it could figure out where I was, and just slowly walked down the trail, making sure I wasn't being pursued. That was one of the more nervous encounters because it was one of my first.

On a lesser used trail, I encountered two bears. They scattered when they heard me, but I knocked the poles together to be sure. Instead of sideways into the bushes, they ran up the trail ahead of me and around the corner. I had to carefully round the corner and scare them again, before they went sideways into the bushes.

Anyway, its fun to tell stories, but I hope I'm not making it sound like a bigger deal than it is. Most of the time you won't have to do much, they'll just run away, and it's cool to see one. Seeing a bear makes you feel alive.... at least temporarily.
    I'd say your new trail name should be "bear magnet"....damn that's a lot of bears!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++