WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Nutritional value should be #1 priority unless you want to get sick.
    It's even more important as you get older because your body extracts fewer nutrients from food.
    Commercial freeze dried foods that I have looked into were disappointing nutritionally, IMO. A lot of carbs, sugar, and additives.

Hi Alex,

I think what you're looking at is the Mountain House bucket with 12 pouches in it (29 servings), which works out to about $5.75/pouch. I haven't tried it so I'm not sure how big the pouches are, but I guess you could split them up into smaller portions.

I've been looking at some of the suggestions on here, of different suppliers.

Wow "Paleo to go" $13 for small sizes and low calories, that's a bust no matter how good they taste.

Expedition foods seem good but having to import them is the deal breaker for me. I'm already coming from Oz. The price could be high as well since I don't know what the exchange rate is at the moment.

I've used Back Packers Pantry, Mountain house, Alpine Aire and many others. I find that the Pack It Gourmet meals, though there aren't hundreds of choices, to be the best for me. Good taste, low additives and reasonable portions and price. They rehydrate well with either hot or cold water and mixed with grocery items will form the basis of what I will be eating next year. And although I don't like cooking on a bush walk, I have made exceptions for their Cheddar Jalapeno Biscuits and they have the best eggs, for breakfast, I've tried.

I'm planning on getting regular packages sent whilst walking next year.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Images

Having carried both over the years and being able to buy them cheaply via pro-deals allowed me an opportunity to really test them out back in the 90's. However, part of the appeal to backpacking is dehydrating my own stuff and being self sufficient. I don;t mind carrying a few for long or lazy days, but really the approach for me is the enjoyment in planning what I will eat and then making it on my own.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++