WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Injury

Journal Entries

Default Injury

Hey, any one every tear a pec tendon? Bench pressing accident caused my left pec muscle tendon to completely rip off upper arm where attached. Happened while PT'ing at my job with the fire department. Had surgery 2weeks ago to reattach, not a common injury. Just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them and how long will it be until I will be able to hike with a pack? This sucks, I was planning on a hike of Maine in September and that won't happen now. Hike On!!!!!

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know, but I hope it heals up fast. That must have really, really hurt.

Ouch, sounds painful. Good thing is that the mountains arent going anywhere. You'll heal and be back out there in no time.

Back in February I had my dog in a new tent and when I opened the tent the dog ran out...I was standing behind the lip of the tent's bathtub floor so when his leash jerked me forward I fell. Ended up with a broken rib and a torn rotator cuff. The rib healed on its own in about 5 or 6 weeks, but the rotator cuff took about 5 months. It was hell driving back from that trip because I drive a stick shift and it was very painful every time I had to shift gears. When I got home I did some reading on the internet and found out there was nothing a doctor was going to do for me at that stage so I opted not to see one. From what I read the doc will tell you to wait 6 months and see if it will heal on its own. I let it rest 10 days and then started trying to move it. I had a sphere of movement where there was no pain and then would reach a circle where it started to hurt a little and if I went beyond that it hurt a lot. So I started exercising just up to the edge of that circle of pain. I'd do about 30 repetitions 10 times a day, just at the edge of where I felt the pain. As time went on and as I pushed the edge of that pain threshhold I was able to get more and more movement. After about 4 months the only thing I couldn't do was when showering I had difficulty reaching my back and the opposite shoulder. Now I am at about 99% of where I was before. You're probably in for some work and some pain.

++ New Posts ++