WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Any reason for me to take a tent on Smokies section hike?

In a couple of weeks I'll do a section from Fontana to Hot Springs. Some of the shelters were at or near capacity, but I don't think that should be a problem because of my non-thru-hiker reservations. (Even though I have no upper body strength.) The only place that's first come, first served is Standing Bear, but I expect to arrive in the early afternoon.

Can anyone think of a reason I should carry a tent?

I personally think, while in the backcountry no matter how tame, one should carry a shelter.
    A simple tarp?

Images

Yes: the shelters can be full of people who did not make reservations. At that point your only option would be to ask someone already inside the shelter to leave. Having even a small tarp opens the option of just tarping or tenting outside the shelter. If the ranger asks, you can show your reservation and say the the shelter was full when you arrived.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Sleeping on the dirt floor inside the shelter is also a viable option.

If it were me, I'd bring a tent, bivy, tarp... something. Ignoring issues of rangers and reservations, what if you had to spend a night in the woods?

Journal Entries

This question comes up with regularity. Absolutely you need to carry a tent, hammock, or tarp.
    What will happen if you arrive at a shelter in the rain after everyone has set up, and there's no more space inside? Will you demand that a thru-hiker leave their spot and go set up a tent?
    What if some people are there without a reservation. Will you insist on seeing everyone's paperwork?
    Or what if you get ill or injured and physically can't make it to the next shelter. Do you really wanna tough it out trying to sleep out in the open?

You should immediately repent of your foolish idea, or prepare to be inundated with critical comments from the WB judicial team.

Have you seen pictures of the shelters between Standing Bear and HS? Some of them are not in very good condition. The sleeping platform in Groundhog Creek shelter had a major slope to it. Walnut Mountain shelter sleeping platform was very short and the wind blows thru the log walls. Take a tent/tarp with you just in case.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Have you seen pictures of the shelters between Standing Bear and HS? Some of them are not in very good condition. The sleeping platform in Groundhog Creek shelter had a major slope to it. Walnut Mountain shelter sleeping platform was very short and the wind blows thru the log walls. Take a tent/tarp with you just in case.
    Agreed! Plus you never know when scouts will be there. when I did that section, there was a troop of scouts taking up Walnut Mountain, and the wind was terrible that night. Pitched my hammock on the leeward side of the hill and didn't have much wind, but on the ridge where the shelter was, it was pretty rough. Groundhog creek was pretty small, and on a saddle between hills. Same issues - front of the shelter was facing right into the wind, which blew all night.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's a 2 pound tent and won't kill me. I was particularly worried that people would fill up the shelters in the Smokies without reservations or come to Cosby Knob to party or something. I've stayed at campsites, but the only shelter I've stayed in was Double Spring Gap, and that was in the off season so there were maybe 5 people.

When I did the Springer to Fontana piece in May of 2010, I didn't see any problems (actually sheltered only once, when too tired to tent). There's a chance I won't make it to HS from SB without having to overnight so I'll take the tent for that reason alone.

I repent, illabelle.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    I repent, illabelle.
    You are forgiven.

Good decision
    the peace of mind is worth the 2 lbs. You won't be thinking "must get to shelter early or I'm screwed!", "hopefully some losers don't steal my reservation!".

Or a small ankle twist and you're asking others for help with a shelter or hanging out in the rain

section hike I just did in VA some guy had sent his tent home after the cold because "he never had issues with shelters and it's not cold anymore"

a few days later, it's 42f, heavy rain, and he's sleeping under the picnic table at a shelter with a tarp we gave him

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Or a small ankle twist and you're asking others for help with a shelter or hanging out in the rain
    Yeah, that's a good point, too. I would prefer to be self-sufficient.

Hey, ya ever hear the one about?
    a backpacker goes into the woods with three fifths of the 10 essentials...it dosen't end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Agreed! Plus you never know when scouts will be there. when I did that section, there was a troop of scouts taking up Walnut Mountain, and the wind was terrible that night. Pitched my hammock on the leeward side of the hill and didn't have much wind, but on the ridge where the shelter was, it was pretty rough. Groundhog creek was pretty small, and on a saddle between hills. Same issues - front of the shelter was facing right into the wind, which blew all night.
    Speaking as a Scout leader, the Scouts should be in tents, and leave the shelters for others.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Take something. I just did the Fontana to I40 section and took a one person tent. Did I use it? No. However, it was worth the weight. You just don't know what you will encounter in a hike through the backcountry. I had reservations at shelters and had no problem. You may encounter closed shelters and overcrowded shelters due to closings. In my opinion, take a tent or at least a tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    In a couple of weeks I'll do a section from Fontana to Hot Springs....The only place that's first come, first served is Standing Bear, but I expect to arrive in the early afternoon.

Can anyone think of a reason I should carry a tent?
    it depends if you know any of the Concierges at the shelters in the Smokies (I recommend Raoul). When you're handed the steaming hot towel and mint for the evening, tell them you don't have a tent but have a reservation. I'm sure all the Concierges have been trained to understand. Also, make sure you let Raoul know that you want to see Hamilton too -- then slip the Raoul a twenty. That pretty much guarantees service in the Smokies.

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by r2davis65 View Post
    Take something. I just did the Fontana to I40 section and took a one person tent. Did I use it? No. However, it was worth the weight. You just don't know what you will encounter in a hike through the backcountry. I had reservations at shelters and had no problem. You may encounter closed shelters and overcrowded shelters due to closings. In my opinion, take a tent or at least a tarp.
    Closed shelters due to bear activity is a real possibility.

I considered not bringing my tent on my last trip in the Smokies, but as the op said - it's only 2 lbs and I did end up using it because it was thru-hiker season.

On the other hand, the nights we were expecting storms, we had 18 and 19 people in a 12 person shelter (Tri-Corner)... funny how it was the same shelter on the way south, and again on the way back north 4 days apart. I digress, we could have squeezed 20 into it before it was "full" lol. Nobody wanted to go out into the inclement weather, so we just made the space, and nobody seemed grumpy about it. I figure it's all part of the experience, stuffing a bunch of people into shelter when the weather is expected to be bad.

Need to rename this thread!!

Any reason to hike thru GSNP at all?

Permit, reservations, crowds and overcrowded rat boxes where you are required to stay, no dogs, man eating bears, litter......need I say more....think I'll skip that section!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Speaking as a Scout leader, the Scouts should be in tents, and leave the shelters for others.
    Although in the mentioned section that wouldn't be an option, unless they were thru hiking Scouts? Since within the Smokies if they were only going for a short section they'd need reservations as well and would be required to use the shelters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++