WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Echoing the comments of others---fully agree with the above quote. Of course the Smokies has some wonderful backcountry with hundreds of miles of other trails, I'd just avoid the AT thru the park as you would avoid drinking raccoon pee or sleeping with a copperhead.

Then again I'd avoid the Smokies at all costs due to their nanny-state Sleep Only Here policy (with suitable reservations) and their insistence on paying cash money to hump a pack up mountains and sleep every night. There are hundreds of miles of backpacking trails around the Park that do not require reservations or cash.
    The Smokies used to be my bete-noire, because 1)I want to section hike the entire AT (primarily), and that big dumb chunk between Fontana & Davenport Gap wasn't going anywhere. It does nothing for my OCD to not have continuous sections done, but I digress, 2) because I hate sleeping in shelters with a passion, and 3) rules and permits and yakety yak.

My mind has been changed however. I've seen some things that have convinced me it's not all that bad. Heck, I have to pay $15 to camp at my nearest state park, and it isn't all that great. But places like that have to be maintained. I will say that the AT through the Smokies was pretty damn well maintained, and I appreciate that. It's a national park for heaven's sake (and a pretty ecologically diverse one too). I don't have a problem supporting that.

So my previous stance on the Smokies has changed. If a person really hates rules like that, there are another 2,000 miles of the AT outside National Parks that they're free to roam. There are dozens of trails in the Smokies, and maybe one day I'll go explore some of them, but that's not high on my priority list.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    ...if I have to get permit I may as well get a $350 flight and head west!!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are on a roll. That's the spirit.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    It does nothing for my OCD to not have continuous sections done, but I digress, 2) because I hate sleeping in shelters with a passion, and 3) rules and permits and yakety yak.
    I could have just done it in bits and pieces on loop hikes, but I'd rather hike the whole section in one piece. I've only sheltered once, in the off season, and it wasn't bad. I did bring a tent though because the next night was at a lower elevation campsite. Either way, at $4 a night it's an incredible bargain, it's a beautiful place. The horses need diapers, though, but I suppose that's much more a problem on the other trails than the AT. If you're ever in the area, a visit to Mt. Leconte is worth it, including Cliff Tops and Myrtle Point.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well, I made it as far as Standing Bear. You guys were right, I couldn't have slept without my tent! Since I carry the poles and stakes separately, it made an excellent firm pillow.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 06-08-2016 at 17:03. Reason: Remove phone corrections

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Speaking as a Scout leader, the Scouts should be in tents, and leave the shelters for others.
    Oh, my. It must depend on the Scout leader. Been at too many with shelters and all surrounding space filled.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++