WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just Jitters?

Question Just Jitters?

Just curious to find out from the veteran thrus....
    As my date gets closer, is it normal to question whether it's the right thing to do?
    Not worried about the hike itself, I know I will hike my hike. It's the deviation from the societal norms that are bothering me a little. I'd be happier hiking than in this job, for sure!

Thanks!

Yeah, just jitters.

The toughest climb on the entire trail is the one out of the car at the trailhead. Once you walk a few days you should be fine. Of course, you'll never be the same!

Yup. Totally normal to feel the way you do. On my first thru-hike back in 86 I about gave myself an ulcer on the train down to Georgia worrying about what I was about to do. When I got to the approach trail, threw the pack on and took a few steps, all the apprehension melted away. It was the right thing to do.

Images

first night out you'll find a whole bunch of other people that feel like you do.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I'd be more concerned if you DIDN'T have jitters. Regardless of what you're setting aside in order to hike the trail it's a huge decision.

I almost talked myself out of my thru in 2003 several times ...just ask my wife (BadAss Turtle - AT 2001). She just let me talk myself in and out of the hike a few times and then finally jumped in and set me straight.

The good news is that once you set foot on the trail all those mixed emotions subside. You get a lung full of fresh air and an eyefull of that scenery and it's all she wrote !!

My suggestion would be to just let the feelings flow but keep your sights on what got you started thinking about hiking the trail in the first place.

Enjoy the ride ...

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    I'd be more concerned if you DIDN'T have jitters.
    This is exactly correct. Society wants you making money not enjoying your life. Lucky for you it's your life.

We started packing the house today. That's scary! It is all starting to feel real. I love it, but it does feel like I'm taking a giant leap off a cliff with my eyes shut. From past experience, I know it's worth it, but even after all this time and all this anticipation, that little voice still wonders whether I am really doing the right thing. But the answer is, yes, whatever happens.

Man, I am glad I am not alone! I basically will be leaving a great job, and hopefully, renting my place out (more uncertainty there!!). It seems there are a million variables, a million unknowns, and of course, so few of my family or friends even understand. It is truly a huge leap into the unkown for me, but I suppose big dreams often carry big uncertainties. good luck to all!!--luke

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Yup. Totally normal to feel the way you do. On my first thru-hike back in 86 I about gave myself an ulcer on the train down to Georgia worrying about what I was about to do. When I got to the approach trail, threw the pack on and took a few steps, all the apprehension melted away. It was the right thing to do.
    how many thru hikes have ya done lone wolf neo

just five.

Default just jitters

Well, I`ve only got one thru (so far) and it took two trys to finish it, but I was scared both times `cause I was too everything and the "little voice" wanted to run away and hide!..I almost threw up just before I got back on the trail in `03 but it went away as soon as I started hiking again .
    You`re doing the right thing to go for it. If you crawl back in your hole, you will always regret it!

The oddest part for me was watching the car drive away. I had some friends who were on vacation driving past the general area and I had them drop me off. I think they were more freaked out than I was though. "Are you sure you want to be left out here? We're getting out of the mountains before the sun goes down!" They were running away from the unknown while I was venturing out into it and it has made all the difference. Had the same experience when my non-hiking girlfriend dropped me off to hike the PCT two years later and then my brother dropping me off to canoe solo across the everglades. Every single time, "are you sure you want us to leave you out here..." This year its just a 5 week trip to relive part of the AT but I'm sure the experience will be the same, some aprehension on my part but much much more on the people dropping me off.

Default no

no jitters you are feeling so deeply spiritualy about to be free....that your acctually upseting your city side of you that will not give up its warm dry world for a cold wet one in witch the spiritually free side of you is about to cut down your city side and walk away from its dead carcuss never to be felt again.its war and its good. that city side needs to die. matthewski out.

2006 Thru-hiker in planning dje97001's Avatar
    Images

I know I won't sleep much the night before--okay probably a couple of nights before. When I realize that I'm hiking it THIS year (06) that definitely adds some stress. So much to do and so little time.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I know what you mean. WHen the clock hit12 this year, I was at work, and had to stop dolling out bubbly for a sec. I realized, this is it! It's 2006. 3/20/06 has been a date in my head for 2 years.........I still can't beleive that it's happening. I'm so excitec about what I going to do.....what my life is going to be. Yet so nervous to walk away from this one. I still think that it's the right choice though......100%

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Yep, it's normal. Your jitters and doubts will dissappear the further you get up the trail. I think I left most of mine on the approach trail.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"] [I]"Mama always said there's an awful lot you can tell about a person by their shoes. Where they're going, where they've been. I've worn lots of shoes."
    (Forrest Gump; Greenbow, Alabama)[/I] [/COLOR]

Thanks for all the great comments and support! Knew it had to be normal. But as if I needed a reason to just do it, my company announced today that they are shipping the whole place down to Mexico. So, that's one less thing to worry about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trailgirl80
    I still think that it's the right choice though......100%
    I agree totally!

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

was it really that easy? first step and it's all fine? I certainly never felt like that, but at the same time I didn't have to leave that much to do my thru. But pretty typical to be nervous. Talk to other hikers about it when you start and maybe you'll get some new insights.

But I'm thinking either you'll have a successful thru and it'll be one of the greatest moments in your life, or at the very least, you'll decide to go home sometime during your hike and you'll come home to a better appreciation to all the great things you had when you left. It's a win-win.

All the best on your upcoming hike. I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by freefall
    Just curious to find out from the veteran thrus....
    As my date gets closer, is it normal to question whether it's the right thing to do?
    Not worried about the hike itself, I know I will hike my hike. It's the deviation from the societal norms that are bothering me a little. I'd be happier hiking than in this job, for sure!

Thanks!
    free fall..

I am not a verteran..actually a novice. Yet i wanted you to know I feel exactly as you do. I will setting out on march 21, 2006 to hike North on the approach trail and on march 22 i will be hiking north from Springer Shelter and i hope all the way to Katahdin.

I am going to quit a full time job that I just can stand any more and will have no job to return to. I am single and no kids so there arent those family obligations. My health right now is good so for many reasons it is the right time to do this. yet I have the jitters just the same..all the what ifs..what if injury happens, what if i cant get a job when i get back, what if the weather is bad what if I am not up to hiking 2200 miles what if what if... one just has to say damn the what ifs! Health is good, I am not getting any younger, life is cruising by, and I always wanted to hike the trail. so the hike is coming and plans are set!

see ya on the trail!!

DavidNH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++