WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

When in roam!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    When in roam!
    The great city of Roam, founded by the two backpacking brothers Rectalus and Reamus, raised by goats in the Mt Rogers crest zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The great city of Roam, founded by the two backpacking brothers Rectalus and Reamus, raised by goats in the Mt Rogers crest zone.
    ...back in the Boone days?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...back in the Boone days?
    Very close to Boone. I was born in Roam but suckled by Boone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Maybe I should have used the term, Conflicts instead and yes, land ownership prevents tons of conflicts, but I emphasize prevents, not eliminates.

Even in these countries with Freedom to Roam laws, they have land ownership, there's a reason for that. It prevents conflicts. Do away with land ownership and there is no doubt that land conflicts will become very common place, even in your comfortable New England. Even in Norway, the landowner has a recourse if people go way outside the laws.
    I agree. Recently saw Todd Rundgren in concert (way cool dude that hasn't missed a beat though he's aged) and the thread reminded me of a favorite song "Range War" it tells a story that took place in our history when the movement west was going on, and dispute over land was fraught with blood, perhaps it could have been avoided if only they were kin, or at least friends. This is but one story in our short history as a country, others will tell another...enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtySupAj7hU

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    ... My observation is that the desire to take care of public spaces is related to the people's relationship with government. Where there is a history of effective government, everything is neat as a pin (Nederlands eg). But where there is a history of poor governmwnt, (Romania), public spaces were not well kept but private spaces were well beautiful (balcony gardens eg).
    I'm not sure how to characterize the people's relationship with the Thailand Govt, but I know you don't spit out gum in that country Cops love to cite people for that. BTW, Bangkok is a really neat city

BTW, I've got a question for the OP:

Is there much graffiti in Scandinavia? We seem to have a debate here in America if this is a form of littering/destruction of property or art. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/the-...ar-to-gallery/

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Americans value their privacy, and their property rights, far too much for this to work here. Not saying they're right, just saying they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    BTW, I've got a question for the OP:

Is there much graffiti in Scandinavia? We seem to have a debate here in America if this is a form of littering/destruction of property or art. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/the-...ar-to-gallery/
    ...and just to add that on the trail in Pennsylvania at Lehigh Gap there is a very large American flag that was painted high up on a rock face and can be seen some distance away, and while I like the painterly aspect of it, to me it's graffi.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++