WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The guy who wrote the journal a limp in the woods hiked the whole trail in cheapo Wal-Mart sneakers. He went throu 5 or 6 pair and yes he finished. I think the total cost for shoes was about $100.

I might have the journal wrong but not the rest of it.

+1 on getting fleece instead of down. I can't imagine a down jacket staying dry enough to be effective hiking the AT in the spring. Everything you own will be wet most of the time...just about the time it starts to dry out it rains again. My layering system is synthetic tshirt, long sleeve fleece, fleece vest and rain jacket. I've used this down to about zero degrees and it works for me.

Plus, if you wait until winter is almost over you can usually buy a fleece top for about $5 on sale at Walmart..I buy most of my hiking clothes at the end of the season when everything is on sale and just put them away for the next year. And at $5 if it gets too dirty or smelly or torn you have no guilt in just throwing it away.

Clothes you can dirt bag.. The Macy's puffys go on sale for like $30 and plenty suitable for a thru

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Clothes you can dirt bag.. The Macy's puffys go on sale for like $30 and plenty suitable for a thru
    Costco had down jackets or vests...$20...good quality for the money and light...made my dog a sleeping bag from one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can pick up a perfectly serviceable fleece top at Goodwill for a couple of dollars. I keep several in my collection of loaner gear in the basement to hand out when introducing friends to backpacking.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you're not claustrophobic, for a tent you could try a Eureka Solitaire. It's $70, weights only 2 lb 9 oz, packs small, and has never failed me in the rain. You can use it when you can't find space in a shelter. You can't take your pack in, though.

Speaking of pack, maybe you can get a cheap external frame somewhere like eBay or Campmor, since they haven't been in fashion since 1970 or whenever? In my experience, they are very comfortable and any criticisms are exaggerated. Your back will have access to air, too. Your gear will probably not be the lightest, so that's one thing to think about when you consider which pack to get.

Unless car camping, I've never felt the need to cook on anything besides a DIY "super cat" alcohol stove made from a small cat food can. You can make it with the can, a measuring tape, a marker, and a paper punch, all of which you can find at a dollar store.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    The guy who wrote the journal a limp in the woods hiked the whole trail in cheapo Wal-Mart sneakers. He went throu 5 or 6 pair and yes he finished. I think the total cost for shoes was about $100. I might have the journal wrong but not the rest of it.
    I met ten or so thru-hikers doing this in 2013, including that guy. They'd have converted me (the shoes they were buying were actually quite high-quality running shoes), but instead I went the thrift store route, along with one pair in a mail-drop from home, sent via the slow boat. Cheaper yet!

Journal Entries

Warren Doyle has walked the trail.......about 16 times.
    He buys shoes at thrift stores

Some gear is more pleasureable to use, or more functional, but the most important item that determines success is whats between the ears.

Those that make it all the way, probably would regardless of gear used. Those that drop out, probably would regardless of gear used as well.

The overhanging problem, is theres no way around eating, you have to do that. And food costs $. $10-15 per day, isnt unreasonable on the trail.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-12-2016 at 16:59.

I want to second the "start a little later." A late April, early May start will save you on cold weather gear. There will be less of a need to sit out a late storm if you start after the storm. If you are a little behind the crowd, there will be less of a call to zero in town and spend money on a buffet.

When it comes to gear, there are some places where you can save and others where you will want quality. I need good socks and shoes, but I can save on other clothing. Make your gear choices and stand by them especially when you pretty much walk through two outfitter stores in the first 140 miles.

Your mental game will be what gets you the farthest. Can you stick with your goals day after day? One advantage you have is that you know you only have a certain amount of time on the trail. If you spend time off the trail, you aren't getting to your goal. I think your hike will truly define "hike your own hike."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++