WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sock Liners

Images

Question Sock Liners

This may be a silly question and I should know better. But I have ALWAYS worn sock liners under my hiking socks. Sunday I went for a day hike with my wife and I decided to try to go without them ( taking a page from Sgt Rocks book that any hike can be used to shake down gear ) I was so surprised to find that my feet were so much more comfortable without the liners than with. My boots are SUPER comfortable to me ( Asolo GTX95) but this is the first time my feet were not tired and sore. Although this was with a small daypack we did hike around 6 miles which took us up a mountain twice and down an icy power line trail once.

So... does anyone else go without liners and should I be more concerned in the summer months for blisters?

Thanks! Sparky

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default I dropped the sock liners around 3 yrs ago...

I found I got more blisters with the liners then w/o. Alot of the newer socks out there are made to be wore w/o liners, unlike the old 100% wool types. Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

It depends on what shoes/boots im wearing. With some shoes ,like my light hiking shoes I dont usually need liners ,but with heavier boots or shoes that dont fit quite right I prefer to use liners. Actually ive had much better luck with nylon dress socks !! First time I bought liners ,the one got a major run right up the side the first time I tried to put em on. Streamweaver

It's a matter of how well your boots fit, and how well your feet are conditioned.

I usually start a long distance hike with liners, but discard them after a few weeks when my feet are well conditioned.

By the way, some footwear experts recommend liner socks, some do not.

I used to always use liners with wool socks. When I switched over to Smartwool, I stopped using liners. Much less fuss, and my feet were still happy . . .

BAT

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

I normally hike without liners... but this winter I tried them on a few hikes with my wool socks. I too have only gotten blisters when wearing the liners so I'm not using them anymore.

Another convert to Smartwool!

-- Ivy

Team GAK

Does anyone out there know the melting temperature for sock liners. We ruined ours in some of the dryers on our thru-hike. I think it was by CT that we finally ran out of liners and hiked the rest of the trip liner-less. Even today we still hike without liners.

Images

I have a pair of "wickers", as I call them Wickers for Dummies because the tell you which sock is for which foot... LOL I am looking at getting some Thorlos that I hears so much about and I think I am going to keep on walking by the liner socks. I thought I was kooky for not wearing them but that is why this site is so great.... Lots of experience and knowledge!

Sparky!

++ New Posts ++