WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Water purification chemicals

Ok, been looking at different ways of purifying water for a thru hike. Was wondering what types are suggested. If for what ever reason I decide to switch to a filter, has anyone ever heard of or had experience with using one filter for two people. My girlfriend is hiking the trail with me and has a Sawyer filter (Sawyer mini)
    On the package, it said it would be good for what seemed to be more than enough water for two people on a thru hike

Journal Entries
    Images

Get the Sawyer Squeeze (faster than the mini) and use Aquamira as your secondary. When your water supply is questionable, use two methods. A lot of people are hanging their Sawyers with a gravity bag and reporting good results, and that should work for two people.

Quote Originally Posted by brother brzo View Post
    Ok, been looking at different ways of purifying water for a thru hike. Was wondering what types are suggested. If for what ever reason I decide to switch to a filter, has anyone ever heard of or had experience with using one filter for two people. My girlfriend is hiking the trail with me and has a Sawyer filter (Sawyer mini)
    On the package, it said it would be good for what seemed to be more than enough water for two people on a thru hike

Journal Entries

Another vote for the full squeeze, I used the mini and for one it was OK, for 2 dealing with the slow flow rate was just too much wait time.

Chemical methods - Aquamira or generic chlorine dioxide drops (2 part liquid) if it's your primary or the tablets if it's your backup.

One mini for two people may work, but as Greenlight stated, the full sized squeeze is faster - and only one ounce heavier. Bring both; perhaps use the squeeze primarily and keep the mini as a backup.
    Keep them from freezing.
    Perhaps even bring some Aqua Mira drops as another backup.
    Boiling the water was my backup plan up until my last trip (section hike). While it does the job, it uses a lot of fuel and time - my Katadyn mini broke. Pouring hot water into a smartwater bottle shrinks it considerably. Luckily for me, some other hikers were happy to let me use their filters.

Images

We used the Sawyer Mini for two people on a long hike, and it worked, but it could be very frustrating. This year we switched to the Sawyer Squeeze and it was a revelation -- I can hold up the bag and the water just flows out the filter, no squeezing. Much easier. It will be fine for two people.

We also carry aqua mira tablets for times when we can't, for whatever reason, filter the water. Our last couple of hikes this was not as much of an issue, since the new SS filter is so much faster and easier. With the Mini I would often decide I just didn't feel like fighting the thing and drop in a tablet.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

just a note, Polar Pure is back on the market.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

The thread title asks for chemicals, not filters.
    So, I'll put in my 2 cents: chlorox for me.
    I don't use it much, but if I suspect the water is contaminated, I put one drop per litre. Wait 20 minutes. (depending on how cold it is, wait longer-if it's cold)
    2 drops if it's really contaminated.
    Works for me.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is not generally recommended as effective although some use it as it is cheap and readily available. Iodine was the best option for years, but it leaves an after taste and there are health concerns using it long term. Now hard to come by as it has been mostly replaced by Aquamira (chlorine dioxide). Comes in drops and tablets. But on a long hike for two, no reason not to use the bigger one.

I used a Sawyer mini for two last year, but it was only a 4 day hike. I would set it up in gravity mode and then go set up camp. When I came back it was done. I have not found it as hard to squeeze or as slow as others report.

I definitely agree that the mini is too slow for a thru-hike (unless you don't mind wasting time with it every day)

Often you stop part way through the day for water once or twice and want some quick water, so it's not always gravity mode, etc. You just want to squeeze and go.
    I try and carry only as much water as is needed + maybe a bit extra, so I like to stop and squeeze fast.

The mini has been demoted to my vehicle safety kit!

I just came back from a five day trip with four in my group. I had a Sawyer Mini with a gravity bag set up. Took about 10 minutes to fill 8 water bottles. I love the set up! No complaints at all.

Mmmm more chemicals ! Just what a body needs. ;0)

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Mmmm more chemicals ! Just what a body needs. ;0)
    Do you drink city water? A lot of municipal water systems use chorine dioxide, which is what Aquamira drops are.

I'd rather have chlorine dioxide than, say, Shigella.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by brother brzo View Post
    A Sawyer mini should be fine for two people on a thru-hike. I've used a Sawyer 3 in 1 for a group of 10 on a weekend hike.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Thanks to everyone
    Probably going to pick up a few tablets or something to act as a backup and then use the filter as the primary way to get water

personally when hiking with my son I made sure we both had ways to filter or treat water. You never know if you are going to be separated and may want to refill. each having some backup chemicals can be a way to do this.

pick up a gasket for a garden hose, the ones sawyer use tend to start leaking over time

I used a Sawyer Squeeze all the way through on my hike last year. It great - I loved waving at my Aquamira friends as they passed me by while I filtered 2 liters.

I'd personally carry Aquamira drops if I were to do it again, and I'd carry a few tablets separately as backup.

Since you asked about chemicals, I will keep it at that.

I have use Aqua Mira, on the AT most of the water is clear enough where I don't have a problem. It is the stuff you don't see that bothers me. If it does, there is ways around that.

In winter I will use MSR Tablets.

Having said that I do use a sawyer squeeze, not the mini. Use the others if there is a water source nearby and just want to fill up. I use the tabs in the winter irregardless.

Floyd

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

On my Springer to Fontana section in 2010, I used iodine. It kills some things that chlorine won't, was my rationale, but I'm not sure if that's actually true. Water will turn a deep blue/purple in an aluminum pot, but is harmless. It's not worth it, though, based on the wait, weight, and taste, unless it's a small bottle just as a backup. I have health insurance, such as it is.

Now I use a Sawyer Mini but am considering getting a Squeeze instead. I'm starting a short section hike tomorrow but it'll be stoveless so all I have to do is drink out of a 20oz soda-type bottle, which is OK with the Mini. I own a First Need XL but it's way too much filter unless you're supplying a Central American village or drinking from really skanky water sources, like maybe the River to River Trail, or that pond between Hot Springs and Tanyard Gap, or something. (It qualifies as a purifier.)
    Last edited by CamelMan; 06-04-2016 at 12:27.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Do you drink city water? A lot of municipal water systems use chorine dioxide, which is what Aquamira drops are.

I'd rather have chlorine dioxide than, say, Shigella.
    I carried aqua mira for years, but seldom used it - It was late winter in the smokies just south of newfound gap - 3rd day of 35F and rain with more in the forecast - I turned around, went back to my car at Fontana and drove home - that is when the Giardia hit, if I was in the N half of the smokies (most remote place on the AT), it could have been fatal

now I actually use the aqua mira

so yeah I would say the chemicals are better than some alternatives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++