WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fugitive sought 'road to redemption' on Appalachian Trail, say attorneys - Christian

Christian Science Monitor

Fugitive sought 'road to redemption' on Appalachian Trail, say attorneys
    Christian Science Monitor
    But attorneys for a Kentucky accountant, who pleaded guilty to charges relating to the embezzlement of $8.7 million from his employer before spending six years on the run, say their client's experience hiking the Appalachian Trail put him on "the road ...

More...

I wouldn't be surprised if prosecutors reduced the sentencing they are seeking IF all or most of the money is returned before the case settles and Mr Hamme demonstrates remorse and a wiliness to thoroughly atone for his actions perhaps even having already had a change of heart about past behavior. Perhaps, the 6 yrs on the AT has resulted in a positive change in Mr Hamme? The trail certainly has been known to be transformative. Would sincerely like to see Mr Hamm start repaying for his actions beyond simply sitting in a jail cell.

Images

Oh, I don't know what is in a man's heart. But, it would seem to me that finding true redemption on the AT would have required Hammes turning himself in and making restitution without the intervention of authorities. His lawyers telling the judge that he found redemption on the AT when facing 20 years and begging to get three years is a bit disingenuous.

Pleading guilty was atleast a start down that road.

redemption. BS. he's a theivin' jerk. throw the book at him

Funny the redemption angle appeared only after he was caught. Somehow I doubt he spent a lot of time hand wringing, detailing his redemptive angst with passers by as opposed to trying to win the Jerry Garcia look-alike contest.

Journal Entries

No doubt agreement to pay back money was in exchange for light sentence. Rest is posturing b.s. by both sides.

Images

Too little, too late.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Too little, too late.
    I always love these stories. Sure he is not a violent criminal yet he is a big time thief who left his family in dire straights. He is interesting but deserves no sympathy in my opinion. I would consider 7 years a fairly light sentence. At least he will have great memories of the AT.

I particularly enjoyed the pics of him on the road to redemption with a Super Soaker as it lead down Main Street Damascus! (Giggles)

How much money could he have spent, if his life was as people here knew him?

It seems he was running a con, and not "a nice guy".

It is sad, for me, to hear about so much money that was ill-gotten gain. I would like to have my veteran's disability check. It would reach back to date of disability and I would have a big "pay out" and I would be "a nice guy" on the trail and at the stop-overs in town and at lodging, and it would all be the "real deal" not like this guy.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by roys View Post
    Sure he is not a violent criminal...
    And yet he might be. If the cold case of his ex-wife's death ever reopens, we shall see. I feel for his daughter.

it seems a lot of people are really really sorry for what they did after they get caught. not many turn themselves in and ask to make things right though...

The guy has been living a lie most of his adult life before and during his sojourn on the AT. He wasn't looking for the road to redemption just a way to stay out of jail and save is own hide. If he is looking for redemption he should start by asking forgiveness from the wife and children he abandoned when he ran away from the police.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Well, I've heard a lot of feedback of how well he was loved on the AT and what a super guy he was. A couple hostels are on record in the news as saying when he gets out he's welcome back. Hey - in a few more years maybe he could have set a record and become a tee shirt. Seems like there's a fuzzy line between hero and zero on the ol' AT sometimes. He is for sure a suspect in his wife's untimely demise, but I guess left no kids behind. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

OOPS! Correction: maybe he abandoned his kid(s). Not a crime I guess.

He'll probably end up in a white collar country club prison for nonviolent criminals so he can get sentenced to however many years the law allows. Interesting that for what amounts to a 17 year 8.7M interest free loan he's only repaying 7.7M back. If he invested that properly he could have a nice nest egg waiting for himself at the end of his sentence. That is assuming he has no proof that he gave the missing money to any charitable cause while on 'his road to redemption' instead of him having spent it on hookers and blow.

Can you write off hookers and blow as a "donation"? I'm Rich again!

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimskywheel View Post
    OOPS! Correction: maybe he abandoned his kid(s). Not a crime I guess.
    His kids might think it was.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think some would be surprised by the number of hikers on the trail who have done time.

Just like Big Bird said on Sesame Street: "Everyone makes mistakes so why don't you?" Do the crime - do the time. Everyone is sorry when they get caught as contrition, feigned or otherwise, is an integral part of our somewhat outmoded system of criminal justice. Some of my tongue in cheek comments were misconstrued as not satirical - mea culpa! Nothing wrong with paying your debt to society and I'm sure it matters to the kids. Turns out the IRS is a little more stringent than suspected around luxury item writes offs than one might expect!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++