WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blister Report

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Just recently found out, that while I got blisers sometimes wearing trailrunner or similar low cut shoes, I never get any since wearing light or medium weight boots.
    Thats real boots covering up well above the ankles.
    I believe this is due to the fact that the tight lacing around and above the ankle hinders the feet from slipping in the boot fore and aft and up and down with every step, thus preventing blisters.
    Often, recurring blisters have everything to do with anatomical anomalies in your feet. I have very prominent achilles tendons that don't really allow my heel to sit properly in the heel cup of most shoes. It causes friction above my heel just proximal to the achilles insertion point, especially in many running shoes. In fact, almost every pair of running shoes I use ends up with a hole worn in the cloth inside the heel collar withing a few weeks of beginning to use them.

When I choose trail runners for hiking they cannot have a high collar or I'll end up with a raw open wound in the first hour. If I choose a shoe with a lower collar and often some have the cutout in the back of the collar which creates an even lower contact point over the achilles, this seems to solve the issue.

All of the above is basically a long-winded way of saying you might need to look at your individual anatomy as one part of the contributing factors when blisters continue to be an issue.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries
    Images

If you are fastidious about taking care of your feet, they'll take care of you. As soon as you feel a hot spot forming, get your footwear and sock off and find out what is going on. Apply a remedy. Keep you feet dry. If they're wet a lot, get them dry as soon as possible. Before going to sleep, apply a quickly absorbed topical treatment. This will prevent cracking. Carry moleskin and learn how to use it. Keep your toenails trimmed. Use tincture of benzoin for any blister that doesn't respond to initial treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    So how are you doing out there concerning blisters? What are you trying to do about it? Prevention as well as treatment?

leukotape. and Hiker Goo to keep my feet soft when it's dry and from "prune foot" when it rains...

Default Blister Report

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Try an insole in the low cut shoes/runners...SuperFeet...https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/inso...es,performance
    Superfeet is the only brand that I know of that comes in an optional wide width. I could only find the wides online.

Journal Entries

If you have problems

this is a good read

https://www.amazon.com/Fixing-Your-F...69MBTSERJ32DZV

A friend of mine works with John patching up feet at the Western States.
    Im in awe of the work they do on feet that allow runners to continue when their feet are horrible shape.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++