WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Fingerboard

Default Fingerboard

Stayed at Fingerboard in Nov 2004. Nice old stone shelter with a new roof. Was clean at the time. Has two indoor fireplaces - a welcome addition to the shelter the night I was there. No privy and no water in November. When it's running, the spring is to the left and down the hill. Very close to a parking lot so I assume it gets a lot of use in the summer, especially on the weekends.

Peace,

Bill

hey Bill!

- Doug
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." -- Teddy Roosevelt

Where is the Fingerboard located on trail?
    ad astra per aspera

New York. Harriman State Park.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Long walk for water ...

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

On Sunday mornings there is a good chance of being woken up by Asians to a fire and a hot dog breakfast.

It can be busy in the winter, too. I once spent the night in that shelter when a bunch of NJ firemen and their wives were in there, having a party. They hung a tarp across the open side, got fires going in both fireplaces, and it was warm as toast inside. They had a five gallon jug of White Russian. It was a blast.

Thru' hiker one weekend at a time... vipahman's Avatar
    Images

Here's a photo of Fingerboard Shelter taken during the Blizzard of 2006 (26.9" snow). When I woke up, my bag was caked in ice. You can see it hanging up to dry.
    -Avi
    AT completed: NJ6-1, NY13-2, CT5-2

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Amazing seeing it all snowed in given the fact that I hit it in the heat of summer 2003.

Brrrrrrr

Kinda looks like a shelter here in Wyoming at the moment (if we had shelters !!)

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

There was a tiny but useable spring on the hillside just above the shelter when I was there last fall. Just to the right of the shelter, looking uphill. Had a pleasant stay. There were two or three groups camped in the hollow down below the shelter.

Images

I stayed at Fingerboard shelter the night of 4/3/2007. It was a rainey night but no leaks to report. While the water at the shelter isn't all that reliable it's not far from Tiorati circle where you can get water, in season.

Default fngerboard shelter

I rember staying here last here... it was in July and very warm.

Only down side.. it was a very long down hill to water..all the way down to the lake and then a long hike back up.

David

Images

There's usually water a little south of the shelter maybe 100 yards down the hill. While going to the lake is far to go for water, it's reliable.

Stayed there in mid march 2007 (when was the eclipse? thats where I was), and water runoff from snow melt was all around free for the taking.

Images

I stopped in to the Fingerboard Shelter today, 1-27-08, for a lunch break. It's in generally good condition except for a hole in the roof at the ridge line, but it's not over the sleeping area so not to worry.

Images

I tented near the shelter on 12/15/08 and it seemed to be in good condition.
    There was water down hill on the blue blaze that goes past the shelter.

Images

i went there during a weekend trip and i like the shelter alot and the surroundings. except the only problem was the water. The water is a tenth of a mile away and for me the water tasted horrible. it felt like it left a coating of grime on my teeth. I disagree that alot of people go there. God forbid the tourists could hike up a .1 of a hill. They dont so it wasnt a problem when i was there. I remember if u go nobo you come across a water tower. it was so stupid they get the water from the lake and they have a spigout like a foot inside a fence. they couldnt be nice people and let the thru hikers get nice clean cold water. But i devised a plan. i got a stick pulled up the lever and slid my water bottles underneath the fence. worked great. if you guys have any question of harriman appalachian trail u can ask me. i live right near there

Images

I stayed there this week and enjoyed building a fire in one of the fireplaces. It was a freezing night so the fire helped a bit. I love the old stone style shelter. Conveniently located off the AT, nice and close.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Journal Entries
    Images

Stayed here Feb 25-26, 2012. Camped out down the hill, first campsite beyond the stream. It was nice having a water supply at the edge of your campsite! Practically spoiled, especially since it was cold and windy. I agree with YoungMoose's comment that the stream water is a bit gross. I think it was a bit better for me because the stream was so cold, but it definitely had a sulfurous smell. Tasted decent, though, and cooked in food it was fine.

I like the stone "tables" sticking out of the inside. Even though my girlfriend and I were sharing the shelter to cook lunch with a troop of scouts, there was enough room to set up my stove and sit around the table like our own little cafeteria.

Short hike down the blue trail to the Lake. It was gorgeous but austere in the late February gray.
    ESTRAGON: I can't go on like this.
    VLADIMIR: That's what you think.

The shelter smelled like folks didn't bother to go outside to pee.

I stopped to change layers and have a snack.

William Brien shelter is bad, too, but slightly better in design. It has bunks. Fingerboard just has a wooden floor for sleeping.

I brought water in, so I don't have any idea how good the water source is.

There are several level areas nearby for tents and plenty of trees for hammocks.

William Brien Shelter as of 2/12:
    [/URL]
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-28-2012 at 01:17.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++