WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Once the frozen spinach is thawed I drain the water and place on silicone sheets for dehydrating.
    I'm new to dehydrating. Why wouldn't you use the screens?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    I'm new to dehydrating. Why wouldn't you use the screens?
    Too wet. Easier to clean off of silicone sheets.

Images

Pringes tortilla chips are about like oil but with carbs and sodium 150 can/oz

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gollwoods View Post
    Pringes tortilla chips are about like oil but with carbs and sodium 150 can/oz

Cal/oz.
    Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Studies have shown that the type of instant Ramen noodles most hikers eat are terrible for your health. They may not contain any cholesterol, but they appear to be devastating for your cardiovascular health. A 'tasty little death.'

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/food...ramen-noodles/

Good information in this article. Thanks

I think ramen is particularly damaging to health, because the oil easily gets rancid: even a little rancidity is harmful to health and nutrition.

Whenever a hiker says they are relying on ramen, I can pretty much know they are gorging food in town. Nevertheless, they never catch up with their nutritional needs because rancidity of oils or fats interferes with nutrients in other food items. It is a lose - lose situation.

In fact, ramen was a WWII post-war "invention" to have "the public" "feel full" before there were agricultural food crops available again.

Udon noodles are better.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    "Study". not "Studies", and if you read it, not so bad, really, and seems to affect only women if I read it right?

Anyway, good post, good info from some folks. I do carry fairly high-fat foods, mostly nut-based though, and consume those foods in the evenings and mornings. Along the trail, it's all carbs and sugars, that's what burns efficiently while actively hiking. Another data point: I eat in the low 3000's calories per day on the trail, much more on town stops, and I don't lose weight. 180 pound, 6'1" male. I just don't get the 5000/day thing, and in fact, I think those types of numbers are inaccurate except for somewhat heavier folks.
    Not sure why you're correcting his English there, seems to me he got it right. I'll bet that has been many 'studies'.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofit View Post
    Not sure why you're correcting his English there, seems to me he got it right. I'll bet that has been many 'studies'.
    The link he provided referred to a single study, I was pointing out an exaggeration, not poor English. Exaggeration on forum posts is a pet peeve of mine, call it a character flaw, I have many others.

Journal Entries

Feel free to correct me however...
    I'll bet that 'there' has been many studies!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    My rough rule of thumb..... 1 calorie per mile per lb of weight. In your case use 210 for weight (pack) and 20 mpd would give you about 4200 calories.
    that's probably a decent rule of thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I can believe 20 miles with a pack, on typical AT terrain will burn 5K calories. But most thru hikers do not sustain 20 miles per day.
    I did 18-19 MPD regularly on the AT (except in NH and ME!), and I burned in the low 3000's, plus the extra calories in town stops that brings the total close to 4000. My question is this: have others actually closely monitored their actual calorie intake and weight? I have, hence my claim that 5000 is a bit exaggerated, except for fairly unfit folks, or those carrying a good deal of extra body weight. I did this study some years back when planning for a couple long (2-3 week), un-resupplied mountaineering expeditions, because every ounce counts on those trips. I was downright anal about accuracy. I carried this data forward when I did the AT and closely monitored stuff for a good part of my AT hike, the first 700 miles.

Journal Entries

Back to the topic..
    Diet sure seems easier in the winter months when the temps are in the thirties and forties, cheese and summer sausage can be carried for a week at a time, even bacon and egg tortilla sandwiches are possible! Hey, nothing beats real food!
    Not too sure how much 'better' for you butter is than olive oil which is so much easier to transport.
    Another vote for sunflower seeds here, fairly lightweight as well. Variety of diet is always a welcome thing though they tend to leave a trail of shells.
    Avocado is also a good addition , good fat I am led to believe, though again probably a short shelf life in the summer heat without the pip and skin.

Images

Linx to these "studys"?

Well, if we're all doing it...

"I'll bet that there have been many studies!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Colorado_Rob was correct in correcting me, I had in my mind that one study that is frequently referenced so I should have used the singular in my comment.

That said, some Googling will show that there are other studies on diet and health of Korean school children that take in account Ramen noodle consumption. So those of you who say there are multiple studies are also correct.

And I'm going to go enjoy this beautiful day. We all win

I agree with the overall sentiment from the OP. I have been focusing on fats and protein first and filling in with carbs. I also use a higher end electrolyte mix with magnesium twice a day and feel recovered every morning.

Although I totally disagree about nutrition being a leading cause of drops. A heavy and poorly fitted pack combined with the reality of the GA mountains will drop someone before a diet of honey buns will.

Ten, fifteen years ago I realized, or maybe noticed for the first time, that there were two competing food strategies with an infinite range of variations between them: carry your entire, carefully chosen food needs for a long stay in the woods, or deprive yourself to some degree, travel fast and light, and hold out for good meals in town or near trail heads.

I'd always gone the former route, so the fast/light option had some appeal. I think this has been the general trend among AT thru hikers and LASHers, particularly with the abundant infrastructure that's grown up along the way.

Seeing as how most thru hikes really are a succession of short sections, a no-brainer for almost any hike is to bring fresh town food with you, to be consumed in the first day. Eg. I always order up a nice deli sub, and that's dinner for the first night or brunch the next morning back in the woods.

AT is way easier than many trails to get the nutrition you need, and frankly it isn't difficult unless someone ignores it completely.
    Gotta love the 2k calorie restaurant stops at reasonable prices, the multitude of resupply, etc
    If I do a hike where I'm cramming things into a bear canister or have to carry 9 days of supply, I'm much more likely to eat like a bird for the last couple days before resupply

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    What about liquid carbs? A liter of water mixed with 2/3 cup of maltodextrin gives you 250 calories, 63g of carbohydrates, and only 2 g of sugars. Much slower energy burn than the pure sugar honey bun. Perfect for a no cook meal plan.
    Although highly favored by the food science industry as a cheaply derived by product from the glut of GM corn in the U.S. as a thickening, binding, and somewhat sweetening agent that prolongs shelf life and in the sports nutrition science recovery, running, and weight gaining industry maltodextrin is still a highly processed polysaccharide(SUGAR) with a rather HIGH Glycemic Index that raises blood sugar. For some, including myself, maltodextrin in the form of various maltodextrin containing gels as the primary ingredient causes energy spikes and energy let downs. This may very well be why manufacturers are adding stimulants such a caffeine, green tea extracts, herbal supplements such as Gotu Kola, etc. to these concoctions. Plus, since maltodextrin is a sugar, it feeds the bad gut flora, the bad bacteria, including possible bacteria in trail side drinking water adding to the completion the "good gut flora" has to contend. Of the two dozen or so gels and sports recovery drinks I've tried I find the energy recovery is only of limited unsustained duration for 10 hrs or more of backpacking which has me reaching for another gel or energy drink. In affect I could have been mediating the blood sugar and energy levels grazing on a fiber and much wider nutrient rich trail mix or such whole minimally processed food(s) using the so called "drip method" of gnoshing to get calories.

ON the trail: snickers bars. Lipton sides, cheese. in town... the entrees (all of them) and a couple desserts!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Although highly favored by the food science industry as a cheaply derived by product from the glut of GM corn in the U.S. as a thickening, binding, and somewhat sweetening agent that prolongs shelf life and in the sports nutrition science recovery, running, and weight gaining industry maltodextrin is still a highly processed polysaccharide(SUGAR) with a rather HIGH Glycemic Index that raises blood sugar. For some, including myself, maltodextrin in the form of various maltodextrin containing gels as the primary ingredient causes energy spikes and energy let downs. This may very well be why manufacturers are adding stimulants such a caffeine, green tea extracts, herbal supplements such as Gotu Kola, etc. to these concoctions. Plus, since maltodextrin is a sugar, it feeds the bad gut flora, the bad bacteria, including possible bacteria in trail side drinking water adding to the completion the "good gut flora" has to contend. Of the two dozen or so gels and sports recovery drinks I've tried I find the energy recovery is only of limited unsustained duration for 10 hrs or more of backpacking which has me reaching for another gel or energy drink. In affect I could have been mediating the blood sugar and energy levels grazing on a fiber and much wider nutrient rich trail mix or such whole minimally processed food(s) using the so called "drip method" of gnoshing to get calories.
    Interesting that you've had bad experiences with spikes and crashes with malto. I use it specifically to avoid them (there's no longer anything in my normal food bag that contains significant added sugars). I initially bought a jar of pure malto specifically for putting together homemade energy gels for long training runs.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++