WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thumbs up Limestone Spring Shelter Conn.

Stayed at shelter 1 1/2 weeks ago. 1/2 mile off main trail on blue blazes.
    Be careful going down, tricky trail. Shelter in good shape, tent platforms and good privy and
    Bear box. Water from pipe back of shelter.

Images

We were there June 2015 and because of the hike down in the rain we renamed it "Hell Hole" We slept in our tent on a platform and had the most animal activity ever on the AT including a huffing bear who was relentless. We were alone down there and kept all of our food across the stream in the bearbox. We were glad to get out of there the next morning.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

I never even heard of that shelter, is it new ? What mile is it?
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I never even heard of that shelter, is it new ? What mile is it?
    It is an old shelter that is far off trail, more than half a mile off trail if I recall. From what I'm told it was originally near the trail, however the trail was rerouted and they never moved the shelter. That section is largely on private property so I suspect the shelter is there because that's the place that they have permission for it.

Edit to add: It is just about mile 1,495 Northbound.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

My wife Kathy and I both thought it's in beautiful location, once you get down there.
    We arrived at the blue blaze after dark, lost the trail a couple of times, and I almost fell on my face going down to the shelter.
    The next morning was clear and bright and we were able to appreciate the location.
    Having the water and a bear box right there are big pluses in my book.
    I'd say it's worth the trip off the AT.

This was the AT before a reroute. I spoke with a ridge runner about repainting the blue blazes. They had the complaint about the blazes before. It gets real lonely down there. Only 1 thru hiker stayed the night i was there.

Images

Most thru hikers don't want to go that far from the AT.

Images

That's why I always really liked Limestone as a place to take groups. It's pretty but I didn't feel like I was displacing thru-hikers. There were weekends (especially holiday weekends) when I would see a substantial presence, but then other times there would only be 1-2 others. Of course we never used the shelter, but even so I don't like rolling in with 8-10 other people unless it's a really big venue like Sage's, or one of the 3 Connecticut group sites.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    That's why I always really liked Limestone as a place to take groups. It's pretty but I didn't feel like I was displacing thru-hikers. There were weekends (especially holiday weekends) when I would see a substantial presence, but then other times there would only be 1-2 others. Of course we never used the shelter, but even so I don't like rolling in with 8-10 other people unless it's a really big venue like Sage's, or one of the 3 Connecticut group sites.

Jane
    Was with a group of scouts at this site the first weekend of June, I agree it is a good spot for groups. The shelter had two section hikers and we setup on the tent platforms on the ground, and a couple in the trees. Expecting rain we setup a tarp above one remaining platform for a dry place for everyone to congragate and eat. A couple doing a really long section hike came in late and setup their hammock back in the woods. A second small group came in as we were finishing dinner and they setup a couple of tent on the ground. (I felt a little bad that we had occupied one of the platforms with our tarp until the morning, when they joined us under cover and happily stated it was nice to camp with Boy Scouts that were so prepared for the rain). Much later still a lone hiker and canine companion came and setup as well. Plenty of room was still left in the shelter and on the ground around the platforms.

++ New Posts ++