Default PCT Washington in July?

Looking at options for the rest of this year's hikes, will probably hike the AT from Dalton MA to Katahdin in late summer and then Dalton to Harpers Ferry in autumn. I'm considering hiking the Washington section of the PCT in July or mid-July to mid-August if conditions look good. How much snow is likely in early or mid-July starting north from Stevenson? How bad are the mosquitos likely to be? I've read that August is usually the best time for this section and can do it another year if necessary but would like to do it this July unless conditions are likely to be miserable.

Images

Heading north I would expect you will see some snow around Adams, Goat Rocks and possibly Glacier Peak. You will have a few early PCTers going through at that time so you may have a halfway decent path through the snow. If you have any experience in snow or a willingness to learn then I would expect you will be fine.

just for a bit of perspective on conditions. As I went through Oregon and Washington we would get trail reports from various people. TO generalize greatly, weekend hikers would declare an area impassible, section hikers would state that there was significant snow but possible and then the few SoBo thruhikers ( Scott Williamson and two others) said " you will a bit of snow in a couple of places." It's all about perspective. Have a great trip.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

At this time things are melting fast.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I started north from cascade locks July 18, had a fair amount of snow in Goat Rocks Wilderness but did okay without ice ax, crampons or microspikes. Now at Snoqualmie Pass. Sobos say snow in North Cascades likely won't be an issue by the time I get there.
    Now if only I knew a trail angel in the Seattle area for after the hike ...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMan View Post
    I started north from cascade locks July 18, had a fair amount of snow in Goat Rocks Wilderness but did okay without ice ax, crampons or microspikes. Now at Snoqualmie Pass. Sobos say snow in North Cascades likely won't be an issue by the time I get there.
    Now if only I knew a trail angel in the Seattle area for after the hike ...
    I hitched into Seattle with very little effort from Harts Pass.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Bert Dodson (Detour) does shuttling at Hart's Pass https://www.facebook.com/TrailAngelDetour?fref=nf

Thank you - I've been hearing rumors of a Harts Pass trail angel but didn't have details until now.

In Leavenworth WA, a town with loads of restaurants, two breweries but no coin laundry! What the hey?

Turns out there were loads of people camping and hiking at remote Harts Pass. I had multiple offers of rides down to the I-5 corridor and went with a great guy and his son who were going into Seattle and even took me to a hostel. He wouldn't even let me pay for lunch. Thanks, Tyler and Nolan!

++ New Posts ++