WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default YouTube video experts!!!!

Am I doing something wrong? I have a YouTube channel and when I upload a 8 to 10 minute video from my computer OR IPad it takes about 8 to 10 hours! Is that normal???? I been watching people post videos of thier thru hike and I was curious if I was missing something. Any help would be great

Journal Entries
    Images

No, it isn't normal. What are you uploading with? You've provided little to no information for someone to help you.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sometimes I'll make a movie on I movies on my I pad and upload it. Other times I use Corel video suite X8 to edit and save it to my desktop. Then just open my YouTube channel and click upload. Either way it always take 8 to 10 hours or more. Tell me how you are doing it.

Tell us about your Internet connection.

If you have a long HD video and a slow upload internet connection, I can see it.

Most consumer internet connections have a slow upload, and nearly all consumer internet connections are asymmetrical.

For example, I have 30 Mbps download and 4 Mbps upload. I do not bother with trying to upload HD video, for that reason.

If you have a friend with a symmetrical or better upload speed high speed business internet service, maybe that friend would let you upload your video to YouTube.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm guessing internet connection is the problem. I been watching YouTube videos of people thru hiking and they upload from their hotel room via wifi. I'm guessing. Guess I'll just have to wait and see when I start hiking next week and get to a hotel to upload and see how long it takes.

I don't know a great deal; but I use I-Movie and have found if I upload to the theatre and YouTube at the same time, it takes many hours. If I put it in the theatre and later up load to You Tube, it is quicker. The bottom line however, is the connection and wifi speed. I have only done this on computer, so I wonder if doing it directly from a phone will speed it up or slow it down...
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Try checking your upload and download speed here. http://www.speedtest.net/
    Because I found a home in haunts which others scorned, the partial wood-gods granted me the freedom of their state, and chiefest prize found I true liberty, the home of homes plain dealing Nature gave

Journal Entries
    Images

It could also be the format you're trying to upload. Some files (mpeg) are more YouTube friendly, while some aren't and will take a lot longer to upload. Whatever your video is, amke sure it's optimized for YouTube.

If it's still taking forever, check your internet UPLOAD speed. Also, in most places, if you try to upload during peak hours, it may take longer as well.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

I'm currently doing a YouTube channel while on my thru hike. I shoot video then edit via iMovie, then export. I then run it through the Shrinker app which compresses without ruining the quality. Then I upload via the dedicated YouTube uploader app. I can upload a 10 minute video in about 30-45 minutes depending on wifi speed.

check the file size. check your upload speed. should be helpful..

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I'm currently doing a YouTube channel while on my thru hike. I shoot video then edit via iMovie, then export. I then run it through the Shrinker app which compresses without ruining the quality. Then I upload via the dedicated YouTube uploader app. I can upload a 10 minute video in about 30-45 minutes depending on wifi speed.
    COPE. Sounds interesting and maybe what I'm looking for. Your talking Greek here. Little more explanation if you can please. SHRINKER APP? YOUTUBE UPLOADER APP???? Where do you export the movie too????

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    COPE. Sounds interesting and maybe what I'm looking for. Your talking Greek here. Little more explanation if you can please. SHRINKER APP? YOUTUBE UPLOADER APP???? Where do you export the movie too????
    I take video using the standard iPhone video recorder. When I'm ready to make a clip, I import all the clips into iMovie and make a video. When thats done, I export it to my camera folder.

Here's where the Shrinker app comes into play. The shrinker app will compress your video down to where you can shave off a few hundred Mb's. It's basically a video file resizer but you don't lose detail. Then I export that new file.

Lastly, I have the YouTube uploader app. I upload through there and I'm very pleased with it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    Sometimes I'll make a movie on I movies on my I pad and upload it. Other times I use Corel video suite X8 to edit and save it to my desktop. Then just open my YouTube channel and click upload. Either way it always take 8 to 10 hours or more. Tell me how you are doing it.
    Reboot your iPad, create a 5 minute video in iMovie, and upload it and see if it takes 8-10 hours. If it does, you've likely got a WIFI issue. I've uploaded 10GB videos to YouTube in 3-4 hours and I'm at an average 32200/kbs bandwidth.

Also try rebooting you router and or type of modem you have cable/dsl. When i uploaded one from my phone through the main YouTube app took about 15-20 mins.

++ New Posts ++