Images

Default PCT thru- lunar solo or tarptent?

Hey all, I'm STILL debating about my new tent for my upcoming 2017 PCT thru. I've heard tons of people who love the tarptent, but also issues about condensation in the mornings. (Which will honestly probably be solved by where it gets pitched). I'm looking for a tent that will fit both me and my pack comfortably, and keep out the rain. I like to be able to sit up inside my tent, and the ideal is a tent that can be set up with just the fly or just the bug netting. I've been looking at the TT Notch/Stratospire/Motrail (basically, any of the 1/1+ person TTs), and the Six Moons Lunar Solo. (I'm a relatively short female, by the way). I'm used to a double wall tent (have used the Mountain Hardwear PCT 1 for years and LOVED IT) so I'm wary of the Lunar Solo.

Basically, if you have experience with any of these tents and can weigh in, that'd be much appreciated.

Cue:
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

I'm pretty much sold on Tarptent, I just suddenly added the Six Moons into the mix because I met someone who really loved it. And now I feel even more indecisive. Curse you, brain!!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Garlic
    Images

My brand loyalty is with Tarptent. I used an SMD tent once, a dozen years ago, and I think TT is better. Just my opinion. Both have their loyal customers.

Tarptent is a really solid choice. If you're hiking solo, the Notch is over a pound lighter than the Stratospire and still has the spacious double vestibule. It's also a little more straightforward to set up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Images

The notch is actually only half a pound lighter, which is what makes me think it's be worth it to go with the stratospire...

Images

And the stratospire is already solid two pounds lighter than my old tent, so I'm already doing pretty well on that score

Might as well throw the Rainbow into the mix. Side entry. Largest floor of the bunch. Oops. Single wall. Loyal following.
    Tough choice.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I just setup my TT Stratospire 1 yesterday for the first time. I am new to all of this.

The tent is gorgeous. I plan to sleep in it tonight or soon on the beach. Sea turtle nesting season

So far it has staid very dry thru a Florida thunderstorm, and many more to come. I will you keep you updated on it. I leave for a PCT section hike probably in 2 months.

Images

Rybir, do you think there'd be enough room for one person and a dog in there? My dog isn't coming on my thru, but I want to start taking here on some local hikes for 4-7 days, and it'd be sweet if the tent worked for her as well.

I managed to fit me, my two border collies and my pack (under my head) in the Lunar Solo. I am 5'5 and 120#. I'm also selling my used-one-time Lunar Solo because I bought a ZPacks Duplex. $180, seam-sealed. Add $20 for the pole and stakes if you were interested.

Images

Have you looked at the LightHeart Gear tents? We have some on clearance right now for a great deal -

Images

Thanks all, but I've decided on the stratospire!

++ New Posts ++