WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Xtherm + Big Agnes sleeping bag = too tight?

I just got the Thermarest Xtherm MAX Regular. It's great, very comfortable, no issues with crinkling noise.

But there's one problem: it's incredibly difficult to put in the sleeve of my Big Agnes sleeping bag. (It's a Roxy Ann 15 down filled.)

Seems like the Xtherm is just a tiny bit too wide. This is odd, because my last pad (Exped Synmat UL 7 Medium) was the same listed dimensions, 72x20". The Xtherm is even supposed to be a little thinner, 2.5" for the Xtherm vs. 2.8" for the Synmat.

I have to really work to get it all the way in, the fit is extremely tight, and it takes a long time and is very annoying.

Anyone else run into this?

Why didn't you buy the Xtherm large?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Sorry. Should have been Xtherm regular?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I did buy the regular. MAX means it's a rectangle, not a mummy shape.

I think the Roxy Ann has a full sleeve not just the top half, but either way, insert the pad partially inflated and then complete the inflation after you're done.

Try this.
    Inflate your mat to about 70%. Bend it in the middle (lengthwise) and push it into the sleeve that way.
    Finish to inflate when fully into the sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by wurble View Post
    I did buy the regular. MAX means it's a rectangle, not a mummy shape.
    My point exactly. The Xtherm is tapered at both ends and lighter.
    Partially inflate. Insert. Finish inflating.
    As a multi decade air mattress user, less air works best. Perhaps you are over inflating the Max.

Wayne

I tried out my XTherm on the floor, at home, first. I inflated it, not entirely. I tried it, as I let air out a little at a time. I found the optimum inflation for not poking a hip thru to the floor. That's it. For me, one-third inflation.

The encaptured air and the down provide the insulation.

I don't push all the air out, either.

I want to avoid over-compressing the down inside. In addition, I use the XTherm to provide shape to my backpack.
    Last edited by Connie; 06-10-2016 at 00:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Try this.
    Inflate your mat to about 70%. Bend it in the middle (lengthwise) and push it into the sleeve that way.
    Finish to inflate when fully into the sleeve.
    Yes, this is what I try to do usually. It worked great with the Exped Synmat, which has lengthwise baffles. It is not working very well with the Xtherm because it has horizontal baffles. If I try to fold it lengthwise, like a hot dog, only a small portion (maybe 2 feet long) stays folded. The ends flop around, which makes it super awkward to stuff into the sleeve of the sleeping bag.

Any other ideas on how to get a floppy pad into the sleeve efficiently?

Try it with less air until it fits or get a BA pad. Ours work fine, both the air core and the Q-core. They are both 3.5" thick and nearly 20" wide so it would seem the X-therm has less volume since it's not as thick.

I forgot I used to do what I suggested with a self inflater or a PO with the long baffles.
    Now I do have a Neo Air but no longer have sleeping bags with a sleeve (I had two...) so I can't try it, but here is another suggestion.
    Fold the not inflated Neo Air in half lenghtwise . Hold the sb up in the air and feed the Neo Air into it .
    When fully in start inflating . As I said I don't know if it will work or not inside your sleeve but worth a try.

BTW, obviously holding the sb up is not going to work if it is raining or is wet outside so even if it works it would be less than ideal.
    Something else that could be worth a try if you use trekking poles is to make a small pocket in the middle of the end seam so that you can use the pole head to push it down to the end of the sleeve.
    Still I would try what Hosh suggests or get another mat.

Just wanted to post an update. After trying a number of options, it seems like the best thing to do is: insert the Xtherm while it is still fully deflated and folded in half lengthwise, reach in through the bottom opening of the sleeping bag sleeve and pull it all the way through, unfold each end as far as it will go, then blow it up with air making sure that as it unfolds the correct side ends up facing down.

This technique works pretty well. For some reason the mattress is still too long, so it ends up sticking maybe 5-6 inches out of the sleeve at the head end. I can't measure right now, but I think the Xtherm MAX is just 5-6 inches longer than the Xtherm mummy shape.

Anyone have a measuring tape handy to check?

Is the Xtherm down filled?

No, the Xtherm has no down. It's filled with a criss-crossing network of reflective material (like the material in an emergency blanket). Hopefully that also means it is less sensitive to accumulated moisture, which is how my Exped mat and many others typically fail in long-term use.

Great picture of the inside here: http://sectionhiker.com/therm-a-rest...ng-pad-review/

++ New Posts ++