WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2016 Colorado Trail Guthooks app is now available.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I just spent hours with the new Guthook app trying to crash it or find something wrong. I am happy to report that I was not successful at doing that. The new app is awesome. All the resupply towns close to the trail are now clearly identified - should be great for planning as well as on the trail.

If you already have the app, the upgrade is free. When you upgrade, be sure to set all the subsets up as well. There are different maps for Collegiate West, bicycle route, Collegiate Loop, and the main CT route. Make sure you download the maps and photos for all of them when you are setting things up via wifi. If you just set up the main trail you will not get the CW, the loop, or the bike route.

On my IPhone, the upgrade was almost automatic. When I selected the old app, the new one installed and ran a tutorial somewhat automatically. Not so on my IPad. On it I had to delete the old program then go to the Apple Store to download the new version. That worked perfectly.

One change from the old version is that the little dots for mile markers are no longer present. Instead, touching the track line will pop up a small window detailing your exact mileage. Trail features are still shown as before, but the map is less cluttered now, which is nice considering the small size of the phone screen.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Is there an up date for the loop? I bought the loop app few monthsvsgo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the updated version, on the waypoint details pages I do not see the next water source listed as it was before. Is this gone or am I missing something?

I cant seem to find the town guide button on the guide page either.

Nevermind...I see it did update...thx

image.jpgimage.jpg

Distance to last and water info is there. You need to scroll down a bit to see it. The red markers are towns,and tapping on the marker will reveal information. They are also in the "All Waypoints" list.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 06-10-2016 at 09:39.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

ct app.png

bearcreek, thanks for taking time to help me. I am not technologically disabled.

I use a galaxy so maybe you cant help. The next water was right below the next trailhead heading before the update, now its gone. I cant scroll down any more.

I can click the red icons and get the town info you show, but the user guide says there is a tab in the upper right that brings me to an improved town guide with more waypoints. I cant find that. Thanks again for the help.

oops I meant I am technologically disabled! stating the obvious here...

The "next water" and town guide errors have been fixed. I am thankful!

I don't see a down load for the CT? Is it included in the Colorado CDT guide?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Try searching for "the Colorado trail hiker". That should pull it up.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    Try searching for "the Colorado trail hiker". That should pull it up.
    Anyone else having issues with the routing tool on the collegiate loop app? Gives bogus mileages...

Please excuse my ignorance. Does this work even when you don't have cell coverage? What do you do about battery usage?

thanks,
    Charlotte

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance. Does this work even when you don't have cell coverage? What do you do about battery usage?

thanks,
    Charlotte
    I had the JMT version of the app, and the way it works is that it downloads the maps and uses the GPS receiver built into the phone. Once the map has been downloaded, you no longer need cell coverage.

Thanks, HooKooDooKu!

Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Thanks, HooKooDooKu!
    It works like a charm. Does not drain your battery hardly at all it's in airplane mode

I recently did did a six day trip on the trail using the app on my IPhone 6. I kept it in airplane mode the entire time, and never turned the phone off. After 5 days I had 60% of battery remaining. I carried a Anker recharging battery but never had to use it for the phone.

~ Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    I recently did did a six day trip on the trail using the app on my IPhone 6. I kept it in airplane mode the entire time, and never turned the phone off. After 5 days I had 60% of battery remaining. I carried a Anker recharging battery but didn't need it for the phone.
    I just did a 5-day trip myself bearcreek, and I ran into a couple of your clients.... an older couple, all UL stuff, great folks, Jerry (or Joe?) was the guy, can't remember the ladies name, Sylvia or something like that. We had a great time chatting at the Twin Lakes Inn. They appreciate all of your advice!

++ New Posts ++