WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: dead toenails

Speaking of the band Dead Toenails, Since this toenail was 90% dead I wanted to change the thread to Zombie Toe Nails.
    The toe bail is gone, I'm okay. No necklace.

I once hiked 30 miles in one day in a new pair of shoes. When I got home and took the shoes off I had blisters under both big toe nails the size of one of those giant marbles. The nails were just barely hanging on. The next day I bit the bullet and pulled them off with a pair of needle nose pliers. Amazingly, it didn't hurt. But then again my toes were pretty well numb by that point anyway. It takes about 6 months for them to grow back. But if you ever had any problems with ingrown toe nails I can tell you the new ones will grow back straighter and "starting over" will probably fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Do not remove it. Do not cut it back.

The damaged toenail provides a path, in spite of appearances, somehow for re-growth, that is, if the toenail root further back in the toe itself has not been destroyed (rare) so protect the damaged nail, in place. This is important if you want to avoid all the complications or difficulties of an improperly grown out new toenail. Really.

I had both big toe toenails destroyed. I followed this advice, and my big toe toenails have grown out successfully.

There are worse outcomes.
    You know that little crescent moon shaped thing at the base of the toe nail, or your fingernails too for that matter? In my own experience I found that after the nail came off this crescent moon shaped thing remained and it was from there that the new toe nails grew. So I don't think removing the nails is any problem. I've read articles in the past about extreme ultra runners that have them surgically removed and I want to say after they pull them they have to put some kind of chemical in there and burn them out so they won't grow back...similar to de-horning a goat, they put an acidic paste on the horns to burn them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    You know that little crescent moon shaped thing at the base of the toe nail, or your fingernails too for that matter? In my own experience I found that after the nail came off this crescent moon shaped thing remained and it was from there that the new toe nails grew. So I don't think removing the nails is any problem. I've read articles in the past about extreme ultra runners that have them surgically removed and I want to say after they pull them they have to put some kind of chemical in there and burn them out so they won't grow back...similar to de-horning a goat, they put an acidic paste on the horns to burn them out.
    phenol wash
    http://www.pbase.com/lbliss/toenail2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++