WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Another thought -- most of the mylar sleeping bags on the market are very fragile (they're just two of the usual fragile mylar sheets glued together). The mylar sleeping bags that have used from American Sciences (I have usually paid in the neighborhood of $14 each) are much more sturdy.

Datto

Most hikers don't even carry a sleeping bag. They sleep communally in the shelters very similar to the way a litter of puppies sleep.

Bronk if you're serious that definitely isnt for me.
    I really like the Apex. I saw where a guy made one with the 5 oz and he slept ok at 37 degrees.

So either a little thicker or combined with a light fleece or silk blanket should work.

Just a curious thought: If you wrap an emergency blanket around your sleeping pad, would you notice any improvement in warmth? Thinking of blocking cold from ground, radiating body heat back up instead of losing into the sleeping pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    Just a curious thought: If you wrap an emergency blanket around your sleeping pad, would you notice any improvement in warmth? Thinking of blocking cold from ground, radiating body heat back up instead of losing into the sleeping pad.
    All that condesation is now soaking into the bag. It's the reason tents are ventilated, to allow that moisture to escape that we produce while we sleep. You will wake up cold, with a wet sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I didn't ask where I should hike.
    If you don't like cold, you aren't going to hike the AT, either. It snowed on MT Washington the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    All that condesation is now soaking into the bag. It's the reason tents are ventilated, to allow that moisture to escape that we produce while we sleep. You will wake up cold, with a wet sleeping bag.
    what condensation? wrapping the emergency blanket around just the pad, not the sleeping bag.

Mylar, aka vapor barrier liner: Y'all are demented.

gracebowen:
    Just how allergic are you to down? Uncomfortable. Near death reaction? Something in between?
    Maybe you should consider carefully chosen sections to hike during the warmest months of the year.
    A 2 month section in ideal conditions ain't too shabby.
    BTW, what's up with the 75 degree A/C setting and saying you sleep cold? Or is that the heat setting?
    Either way I couldn't stand your utility bill.
    Cheers.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    what condensation? wrapping the emergency blanket around just the pad, not the sleeping bag.
    Ah. I see what your saying. It wouldn't make much of a difference.

Wayne I like to be a little cold while sleeping. I sleep better. During the day the ac is off or set to 80.

As far as how allergic it seems to vary. My last reaction sent me to the ER where I got IV steroids. I also react to certain smells. Mostly chemical. I can either quickly move away or use a nose filter I bought to prevent a serious reaction.

It is very uncomfortable but it works and is tolerable for about an hour. Its new so maybe I will tolerate it better with long term use.

Wayne I like to be a little cold while sleeping. I sleep better. During the day the ac is off or set to 80.

As far as how allergic it seems to vary. My last reaction sent me to the ER where I got IV steroids. I also react to certain smells. Mostly chemical. I can either quickly move away or use a nose filter I bought to prevent a serious reaction.

It is very uncomfortable but it works and is tolerable for about an hour. Its new so maybe I will tolerate it better with long term use.

I would think, as long as you stay in you comfirtable temperature zone, you may find you like the natural environment involved with hiking. The problem about certain odors, as you say, may be odors found only in an urban environment, or, from consumer products. If so, a hike in a pristine natural environment may be excellent.

Why not start with a good walk in that environment, with an overnight camping experience? This is what we refer to as a gear "shakedown" hike.

Thanks for clarifying your problems with down. We don't want you in an ER or worse, needing an ER miles from anywhere.
    Best you look for the best available synthetic quilt or bag and wool jammies and hot water bottles as needed. And definitely good ground insulation.
    Good luck.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I think im going to make my own with Apex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++