Default 18 days in WA -- need advice

Former AT Thru-Hiker here -- hi to anyone who recognizes me.

Unfortunately, life is only allowing me to spend August 6-23rd (would fly out the 5th, fly back the 24th) on the trail. Thinking I want to do the Washington section and hit up Mt. Rainier along the way. I've heard I should include the Goat Rocks in my route too. I also want to kick my ass and do big and difficult miles (need to get into shape, and I also find that strenuous, difficult hikes clear my mind --- and boy do I need my mind cleared these days). Any advice on where to start/end, and how to go to/from the trailheads (to the airport, or at least to Seattle)?

Thanks a million

Trademark
    GA->ME 2014

Thats a pretty good time of year there, were it me, I would definitely look at North Cascades climbing hikes (Hidden Lake is my favorite). Some real challenging terrain in North Cascades National Park and virtually inaccessible outside of late July through late September. Rainier can be clear as well, Spray park/Seattle Park is a good romp if you want to get a work out. Indian Bench on the other quadrant (going up from Frye River access through Summerland) is spectacular on a clear day. The Peninsula can be nice, specifically the Upper Lena Lake walk into the Brothers Wilderness area. Frankly there are so many great places to go that no matter what you pick you likely won't be disappointed.

Rental car will be the best option from Seattle to do these varied hikes, which is how I get there when I am in town. There may be some shuttle services some of the local folks may know of, along with other trails/areas you can get into.

Images

Beautiful place, and as has been said, great time of year.

Not sure what you mean by "hit up Mt. Rainier", but Rainier is a heavily crevassed, semi-technical mountain, by it's easiest route. To be safe you should be trained on glacier travel and climb with a team that is also trained. climb Mt. Adams if you want to climb a high volcano.

Garlic
    Images

Consider some separate trips to make logistics easier. Try the Wonderland Trail in say four days to get your butt kicked, for instance. It's a loop so logistics are easy with a rental car, and it's only 93 miles, so no resupply needed. Then hit some highlights of the PCT--The Goat Rocks Wilderness, the Indian Lakes Wilderness, the Pasayten Wilderness, North Cascades NP--there are great loops and out-and-backs in all those places.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++