WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana grandkids first backpacking experience

Hi all I am looking for some recommendations. We are bringing two sets of grandchildren out on their first backpacking experience trips on the AT in August, 1 set (8 and 6) are in Va the other set (6 and 4) is in MA near Dalton. Anyone have any recommendations for weekend long hikes for these guys. We are hoping on emphasizing fun, nature and not miles. The VA set we know Mount Rogers I mean it has horses so how can we lose. But if anyone has another really cool area that would be great. The CT-VT area I am at a lost for them.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

No question at all about the MA section.....make the trip to Upper Goose Pond Cabin! It's become our go-to place to introduce kids to the trail. If you park on Rt 20 it's only 2.1 to the cabin, and even though the second half of the first mile is a challenging uphill, the kids seem to handle it well enough. The cabin is on a beautiful pond with a nice swimming spot, has canoes to borrow, and either tenting or bunks available. There will be welcoming caretakers and staff as well as thruhikers usually more than willing to interact with kids and applaud and encourage their efforts. Pancake breakfast is provided too, and it's all free! (though a donation to cover the breakfast is considerate).

Our quick weekend trip is as follows:
    Saturday morning hike to cabin (get there early if you want a bunk) and enjoy the lake.
    Bunk in or tent-up for the night.
    A pancake breakfast and early morning canoe ride is a great start for the day.
    Hike back to the car. (we go for an ice cream reward here before heading to the next trail head)
    Drive to Main St. Tyringham trail head and head south to Tyringham Cobble and a great 2 mile hike that has all kinds of environments from meadows to forests to cow pasture....yes, cows included....to a pretty view. You can loop back to the car if your weekend is over, or continue to the Shaker Campsite for the tenting experience and head back the next morning.

The beauty of this weekend for kids is that the mileage is low but the experience is really representative of the trail. You are always fairly close to your car (but far enough that it won't seem like an option to the kids to give up). The destinations are very kid-appealing: highway overpass, swimming, canoeing, bunkhouse, pancakes, ice cream, boardwalks and bridges, cows, and a really cool view....their first AT "reward". It's a tried and true formula (3 times so far for ages 6-12)!

VA - also no question....GREYSON HIGHLANDS AND THE WILD PONIES! This one is a little more difficult, but so wonderful! Massie Gap to Thomas Knob shelter is about 2.6 miles, with incredible views and some variety of landscape, but the real attraction is the presence of the wild ponies (big dogs who love to be petted). This hike is very different from the MA intro, but my absolute favorite AT experience with the most beautiful views I've ever seen. (I haven't taken smaller guys on this trip, just a 12 yrs old who was not a first-timer, but he loved it.)

(PS: We just got back from my great-nephew's introduction to the trail - the trip to UGPC as described above. We only had the overnight experience at the cabin this time, but as usual, it was an overwhelming success! We now have another enthusiastic AT hiker in our ranks! )
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 06-12-2016 at 10:42.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Well, this seems to be the season for grandparent trips. I'm planning a Connecticut AT hike with my soon-to-be 7-year-old granddaughter in mid-August. We are looking at Jug End to Falls Village at a leisurely pace. For a weekend hike, you could consider parking at the Undermountain Trailhead and hiking in to Sage's Ravine, a beautiful spot to camp. Or, for easy terrain, try the Housatonic River Walk, with camping at Stewart Hollow shelter or just north at Silver Hill.

I have to rethink Grayson Highlands as it will be a long drive from the grand kids house. Looking along The Blue Ridge or Shenandoah area any cool swimming or fish holes. Most of the sections I have done in this area have been very late in the season so swimming holes have been dry or frozen

++ New Posts ++