Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by plexusbritt View Post
    KnightErrant, I hear you. I couldn't imagine my dad ever suggest I not do something based on my gender. Much less not "let" me do it. I appreciate a good gentleman, don't get me wrong but, last I checked my legs hike just as efficiently. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto. I'm always solo..."I am going on a trip and if you would like to tag along, and you can keep up, then you can join me".

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    Ditto. I'm always solo..."I am going on a trip and if you would like to tag along, and you can keep up, then you can join me".
    I have actually quoted that statement several times... which ends in him going along with me. I use the word "let" in the most literal sense, not just a permission thing. in order tog o alone, I would literally have to sneak to do it, and to do an overnight... he would report me missing, call the police, the whole thing if I didn't tell him what I was doing, and if I did... he would come along too. I am a stubborn independent woman... but he is my match in stubborn, which makes me just a scooch less independent.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

Gotta love them. I was gonna head out solo again next weekend but the hubby wants to join. It IS is birthday weekend and he was being good natured about me being gone so I can't fuss. lol. I've just gotta go through his "gear". He hikes in jeans and cowboy boots at times so I have informed him that if he goes, they stay bc the trail I've got planned is much too wet. I don't need him getting all blistered and such.

Journal Entries

LOL!! That's funny. Cowboy boots on a rock scramble...the visual is hilarious! My hubby is also very good natured about my hiking addiction. He goes, because I am going and he won't let me go alone, but he isn't half as much into it as I am, so he is a pretty good sport. I think he prays for a thunderstorm every Saturday.

Images

So are you coming to the Ladies Week hike, Lnj?

I've certainly done some rock scrambling in cowboy boots and spurs while.looking for cattle. It was certainly interesting

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I've certainly done some rock scrambling in cowboy boots and spurs while.looking for cattle. It was certainly interesting
    Funny we should have this conversation today! He is working out of town but has a birthday coming up so while we were on the phone I asked him for some ideas of what I could get him. He said, "I'd like to do start backpacking with you for real. Not the short trips you do when I come along so some gear would be nice. Just whatever you think I'll need" to clarify, his pack weight is usually insane! He has a crazy heavy sleeping bag and a hammock. That's about it. We take turns with the stove, share my tarp, water filtration, etc. I had way too much fun on Amazon today getting him a windscreen, platypus, sleeping bag, and such.

Very cool. Hope you guys have some more fun together...I'm still looking for someone to hike with. I enjoy being alone while hiking but much prefer to have some company in camp.

Journal Entries

Very cool. Hope you guys have some more fun together...I'm still looking for someone to hike with. I enjoy being alone while hiking but much prefer to have some company in camp.
    Are you in the southeast? Lol

Journal Entries

Just some more pics of last weekend!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    So are you coming to the Ladies Week hike, Lnj?
    Oh I would love to, but I am in GA and have a new job I just started in April. I don't have the vaca accumulated yet and I don't have the dollars for the commute to where you all are.

Quote Originally Posted by plexusbritt View Post
    Are you in the southeast? Lol

Not right now...Wyoming with some great hiking! I will be full-time RVing no later than next fall and the south-east is an area I plan to spend some time exploring and backpacking a lot! I have to so SOME of the AT while I'm there!

Journal Entries
    Images

Feel the same way about solo hiking- love the confidence it gives. Have to admit my choice might be more like solo-light rather than a true solo as I spent nights in a very social situation. Despite that family were stubbornly set on worrying. I chose the White Mountains and went hut to hut plus a couple nights at the Highland Center. That way there was a lot of social tie as well as a lot of quiet walking. Hikers tend to watch out for each other and I felt well cared for out there. During the day's hikes there was nothing but birds, waterfalls, the tremendous smell of the woods, and the sound of my breath. My husband doesn't exactly understand it but he also gets how essential it is to me.

Woooo hooo!!! Have a great trip. I like other people, but I also like going alone.

I'm so jealous when I hear about women doing overnight hikes on their own. I'm a pretty independent person, I've traveled in many countries by myself, I've been on motorcycle trips by myself and I do a lot of camping by myself... in campgrounds.

Hiking alone all day is not the issue. I'm not afraid of animals and I don't get lonely sitting around the fire by myself in the evening. My problem is that I'm scared of the dark. There, I said it. The idea of sleeping alone in the forest makes me hyperventilate! LoL. And yes, I know, the AT and many other trails are like shopping malls, you're never alone but my biggest fear is getting to a shelter and finding it empty or not being able to do my planned mileage for the day and having to set up camp on the side of the trail. I think by the time morning came I'd be fit for a padded room. For that reason, I always hike with at least one other person.

Ah well, maybe one day....

Images

Sleeping alone in the woods is like coming home to mother earth to me. I get the best sleep out there. The AT is not very dark most places, especially down south. After the sun goes down you start to see all the lights in the valley. I use only red lights after dark so I don't destroy my night vision, that way bears turn back into the mice that you hear in the leaves! Owls are neat to listen to, but I have been ready to slingshot a few Whip-or-wills.

The only time I ever got freaked out sleeping in the woods alone was when a couple of curious cows decided to physically investigate my tent at 4am in the morning. But of course, I trust my dog's instincts a lot and if she's not worried and sleeping, then there's nothing to worry about for me either.

The only time I ever got freaked out sleeping in the woods alone was when a couple of curious cows decided to physically investigate my tent at 4am in the morning. But of course, I trust my dog's instincts a lot and if she's not worried and sleeping, then there's nothing to worry about for me either.
    Good point DuneElliot. One of these days (read : when my kids are older) I'll have a decent size dog and then I probably won't have a problem sleeping alone in the woods for the same reasons you mention. I always trust my dog's instincts, they're never wrong. For now however, my dog is a Chuhuahua (small and kids friendly). And although she loves camping and hiking, she's just too small for an extended trip so I'll just have to rely on friends for now.

Images

I met a couple people on the AT hiking a section with SEVEN Chuhuahuas! They each had a baby sling to carry anyone that got tired and everyone seemed to be having a great time, dogs and humans alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I met a couple people on the AT hiking a section with SEVEN Chuhuahuas! They each had a baby sling to carry anyone that got tired and everyone seemed to be having a great time, dogs and humans alike.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! That's too funny! Mine is usualy excellent. She's always eager to go and can surprisingly do a lot of mileage for having such short legs. I just don't want to push her limits and don't want to have to carry an extra 5 lbs if I can avoid it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++