WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Sandals for flat feet

Hello all, first post here. Just trying to see if there are any sandal hikers on here with flat feet, and if so what sandals are you running? A little background on me, I'm 6' 215lbs. I wear boots all day at work, but when I'm outside of work it's exclusively flip flops, even in the winter. I don't typically get any soreness even on extended walks (5miles) in the flip flops, but I imagine I'll need something with straps to hold the sole to my feet better while hiking.

Im basically just trying to see what works for others in anticipation of an upcoming thru hike of Long Trail in VT. Thanks!
    Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world. -Muir

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't have flat feet, but I wear the more basic Teva sandals all the time. I hate shoes except for trail runners. They have some arch support, maybe there are models with more than the ones I have. I can't really wear flip flops for walking, but I can wear these just fine.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Atcguard View Post
    Hello all, first post here. Just trying to see if there are any sandal hikers on here with flat feet, and if so what sandals are you running? A little background on me, I'm 6' 215lbs. I wear boots all day at work, but when I'm outside of work it's exclusively flip flops, even in the winter. I don't typically get any soreness even on extended walks (5miles) in the flip flops, but I imagine I'll need something with straps to hold the sole to my feet better while hiking. Im basically just trying to see what works for others in anticipation of an upcoming thru hike of Long Trail in VT. Thanks!
    Be sure you need arch support; not all with flat feet do. Chacos have a raised arch, and you see quite a few of them on the trails out west. Birkenstocks certainly have pronounced arch support, but a predominantly leather sandal might not be wise for wear. There are others, I'm sure.

Good luck hiking the Long Trail in sandals. That's really a very bad idea.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    AMEN to that!

Let me add ...... a very VERY bad idea.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I understand it's quite wet and muddy, and then towards the end pretty steep and rocky, any particular reason it's less conducive to sandal hiking than any other area for hiking?

I appreciate the feedback and am certainly receptive to it, I just know that typically shoes and boots, particularly those with much arch support give me cramping and plantar fasciitis when running or walking extended periods.

My concern for you is if the tiniest of cuts gets infected your kinda done till it resolves. Lotsa stuff stabs, pokes, Impales and slices.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    My concern for you is if the tiniest of cuts gets infected your kinda done till it resolves. Lotsa stuff stabs, pokes, Impales and slices.
    Can that be (mostly) negated through proper hygiene and wound care? When I do this I'll also bring along a pair of shoes as a fallback should it not work out with the sandals, I just feel that my feet would be much happier in them.

Granted I have very limited experience in extended hikes, I've done plenty of day hikes, and I've mostly been a car camper. I really appreciate the feedback because I honestly just don't know, but I'm already seeing the balance between doing your homework and just going out and doing it. I'm currently overseas and won't be home for another month, so I can't exactly get miles on the trails, but I've been rucking around my base trying to get 5 or so miles in daily when I'm not at work to get a bit of preparation in. I also have been working extensively on a gear list, and buying pieces here and there online that'll be waiting for me when I get home. I haven't bought the sandals yet which is why I was looking for advice. I'll only have about a month in total after I get home to prep my gear and get on the trail. (I may not finish the entire trail but I intend to be out there until I need to return to work)

I know the Long Trail is tough, but I'm not looking for a walk in the park, I'm looking for an escape, and a place to discover myself (I've been in the military since I was 18, I just hit 30 this year, and I'm having a bit of an identity crisis). I need to get out into the woods, away from people, society, and expectations and find out what I enjoy and what I want to do with my life.

Boy that turned into a bit of a rant and confessional, sorry about that, but hopefully it'll provide some more insight into what I'm trying to do. Thanks!

-ES

Journal Entries
    Images

2x vote for Teva's

Keep in mind there are mesh running shoes with good grip such as Solomon.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Can that be (mostly) negated through proper hygiene and wound care? When I do this I'll also bring along a pair of shoes as a fallback should it not work out with the sandals, I just feel that my feet would be much happier in them.

Granted I have very limited experience in extended hikes, I've done plenty of day hikes, and I've mostly been a car camper. I really appreciate the feedback because I honestly just don't know, but I'm already seeing the balance between doing your homework and just going out and doing it. I'm currently overseas and won't be home for another month, so I can't exactly get miles on the trails, but I've been rucking around my base trying to get 5 or so miles in daily when I'm not at work to get a bit of preparation in. I also have been working extensively on a gear list, and buying pieces here and there online that'll be waiting for me when I get home. I haven't bought the sandals yet which is why I was looking for advice. I'll only have about a month in total after I get home to prep my gear and get on the trail. (I may not finish the entire trail but I intend to be out there until I need to return to work)

I know the Long Trail is tough, but I'm not looking for a walk in the park, I'm looking for an escape, and a place to discover myself (I've been in the military since I was 18, I just hit 30 this year, and I'm having a bit of an identity crisis). I need to get out into the woods, away from people, society, and expectations and find out what I enjoy and what I want to do with my life.

Boy that turned into a bit of a rant and confessional, sorry about that, but hopefully it'll provide some more insight into what I'm trying to do. Thanks!

-ES
    sure, go for it.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For protection, you could try on one of those minimal shoes like the New Balance Minimus. I wear 1210s and they don't have much arch support but are pretty rugged. Runner's World has an online shoe finder that has an option for flat feet.

Sounds like I'll go with some minimal shoes to give my feet a fighting chance, thanks everyone for the advice!

You can carry some sandals with you, and at least have them to wear in camp and on less hazardous sections. Thanks for your service, and I hope you enjoy your well-deserved break on the trail.

Sounds like I'll go with some minimal shoes to give my feet a fighting chance, thanks everyone for the advice!
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

++ New Posts ++