WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Geez. You guys make the Whites out to be a great scary beast of an area. .
    Well it is. People "from away" get in trouble up here all the time by overestimating their ability and underestimating the difficulties and hazards.

Yes, camp sights along the ridge lines are often scarce, but they are plentiful off the ridge lines, and even along the ridges, they aren't non-existent, they just require some planning and/or "campsite" flexibility.
    Since much of the AT in NH is along ridge lines above tree line, there are no camping allowed. It is both illegal and dangerous to do so. Again, suggesting it is possible to camp along ridge lines along the AT in NH is irresponsible. To camp "off the ridge line" often means losing 1000 or more feet of elevation and going a mile or more out of your way. And if you pick the wrong trail to drop off the ridge line on, you can really get in trouble. And if there isn't a trail leading off the ridge line, it's not possible to do so.

They just aren't as big an issue as many people make them out to be, especially if you walk in prepared with basic knowledge and behave with reasonable common sense.
    Unfortunately, many people leave their brains and common sense at home when they travel up here. The number of rescues performed here in a year is proof enough of that.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Sorry for the double post but I will add that the two hardest days were day 1 trying to make it across Franconia and over to Garfield campsite and day 4 going from Naumen/Mizpah over the Presidentials to the Perch. If you were considering a hut I would suggest it during these two days. We made it but had perfect weather. It would have been quite the test to make the mileage on either one of those days if the weather was bad. For reference we usually do 16 - 18 mile days most of the time and all of our time in the Whites with the exception of the flat stretch from Zealand to Ethan Pond our mileage was cut to 10 - 12.

PM me if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help any way I can.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Well it is. People "from away" get in trouble up here all the time by overestimating their ability and underestimating the difficulties and hazards.

Since much of the AT in NH is along ridge lines above tree line, there are no camping allowed. It is both illegal and dangerous to do so. Again, suggesting it is possible to camp along ridge lines along the AT in NH is irresponsible. To camp "off the ridge line" often means losing 1000 or more feet of elevation and going a mile or more out of your way. And if you pick the wrong trail to drop off the ridge line on, you can really get in trouble. And if there isn't a trail leading off the ridge line, it's not possible to do so.

Unfortunately, many people leave their brains and common sense at home when they travel up here. The number of rescues performed here in a year is proof enough of that.
    I agree with Slo-go-en. It is irresponsible to tell people the difficulty of the Whites is overblown. Most people have never experienced anything remotely close to what they will face up there and therefore need to be forewarned. Even if the warnings are somewhat excessive and over the top what's the harm? I would rather them be over prepared when they arrive and ready for the worst instead of the alternative of getting in over their heads and winding up in a life or death situation because of the inaccurate advice they received on an internet forum.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Thanks for this trip report, this is exactly what i was looking for!!

Excellent trip report, Casey. It is possible to skip the huts, if you're fit and plan well, and if the weather cooperates. Those would be long-ish days for me.

Newbs are well advised to heed the warnings and be prepared for some strenuous hiking. Be safe.

Most of the responses have been about the AT (which makes sense since this is an AT forum), but the OP seems to be asking a more general question about a week or more of hiking in NH. It is a great opportunity to get off of the beaten path (literally) and check out some of the more remote but beautiful areas in the Whites. Evans Notch and the Cold River Vally have great hiking, camping, and some of the best swimming holes around (fantastic map available from the Chatham Trails Association - http://chathamtrails.org/index.html - send and email to ask how to get it). The mountains are not as high, but the views are great and trails are less crowded - Bald Face Circle is outstanding.

Drop down from Evans Notch into the Wild River Wilderness area, ending up over on the AT near Carter Notch.

Head into the Pemi for a few days.

Try the AMC Mt. Cardigan Lodge, well south of the White mountains.

If you want to stay in a cabin and do day hikes, while having your meals cooked and handing out with a bunch of other hikers (ages 4 to 70) see if the AMC Cold River Camp has space left for a one week stay. http://www.amccoldrivercamp.org/ - a really special place.

Lots of great ways to work in Mt. Washington from directions other than the AT.

Have a blast.

Hiked a loop over Baldface many years ago and had a blast. Tried it again a couple years back and found the trail horribly neglected and overgrown.

But yeah, there's plenty of hiking in the White Mtns. that isn't the AT. And the best camping opportunities, for sure, are off the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Hiked a loop over Baldface many years ago and had a blast. Tried it again a couple years back and found the trail horribly neglected and overgrown.

But yeah, there's plenty of hiking in the White Mtns. that isn't the AT. And the best camping opportunities, for sure, are off the AT.
    Baldface Mtn? Or The Baldfaces? The Baldfaces are comparable to Francinia ridge for open summits and ridgewalking. My gf and I hiked it Easter weekend this year and thought the trails were pretty decent, if icy. It was snowing until we got above the clouds and it warmed up in the Sunshine.

Wild River area is beautiful. The Royces make a nice dayhike, but you can string a bunch of trails together to make your own weeklong trip.

^^ Speaking in general of the trailheads off Rte. 113.

The more recent hike, within the last few years, was up to the summit of Royce, then Basin Rim trail, then Basin Trail down to Wilderness River.

The older hike, I forget which trail we took up, but I know we took Eagle Link down to the Wilderness River that time.

I still want to do the Basin Rim trail and Mt Meader trail. Gf and I walked from Basin Pond to the Wild River and that trail is absolutely stunning following that little River down to Wild River campground. Only bad trail I can recall in Evans Notch was laughing Lion. It was pretty badly eroded.

I did the Baldface Circle and another hike on the Basin Rim last week. We also hiked Speckled and Blueberry mountains. Swimming at Emerald and Rattlesnake pools at the end of hikes was great. The trails were all in good shape. Very dry - water at the shelter below South Baldface ledges was just a muddy trickle. Blueberries are out! A wonderful trip to Evans Notch!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DLANOIE View Post
    I didnt realize the huts prices were that high. Last time I went through there it was still under a hundred dollars a night. I have never stayed at any of the Huts myself. The food is good though.
    We did hut-to-hut from Pinkham to Franconia earlier this month. We learned on an earlier trip that the Whites are much more difficult than anything in our area, so we planned on using the huts as a somewhat gentle way to enjoy the trip. We stayed in 6 huts, plus Joe Dodge Lodge and the Highland Center, and used the AMC shuttle bus twice. With the member discount and the multi-night discount, our bill for two people was just under $1500 before tax. The typical discount hut price was $87.

Images

NH kicked my butt, had to come off the AT due to taking 2 bad steps of like 125,000............hyper-extended achilles then twisted my ankle at the top of Wildcat Mountain.

BRUTAL - boulder city, scaling rock walls, my average from GA to I93 is about 13 miles per day, did 10 in NH but it took me all day!!!

Honestly, after I complete the AT I do not ever see voluntarily backpacking North of I93

Maybe head South to Lonesome Lake - much better trail & foot tread there to Hanover.

People ive talked to this year tell me the trails are much better once you get north of ME26.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    NH kicked my butt, had to come off the AT due to taking 2 bad steps of like 125,000............hyper-extended achilles then twisted my ankle at the top of Wildcat Mountain.

BRUTAL - boulder city, scaling rock walls, my average from GA to I93 is about 13 miles per day, did 10 in NH but it took me all day!!!

Honestly, after I complete the AT I do not ever see voluntarily backpacking North of I93.
    I've always figured 1 mile per hour in the White Mountains.

It was 1 mph as a 25 year old with a 50 lb. pack. It's still 1 mph but now as a 63 year old with a 25 lb. pack.

Maybe a bit more on day hikes with a very light pack.

Avoid the trail north of I-93? Crazy. You'd miss some of the coolest miles on the AT.

Mount Kearsarge.
    051.jpg050.jpg052.jpg
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++