WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

One more, from a friend's hike yesterday... AT is cleary marked, where appropriate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I just found this "Trail Adopter's Guide" published by AMC.

http://atfiles.org/files/pdf/AMCadopt.pdf

Here's a brief excerpt from P. 22:
    Thank you! We used to maintain the Osgood Cutoff when our son was young, maybe 12 years ago. We would drive up, sleep at Camp Dodge, hike in to Osgood Tent site, eat, and then maintain our section. Yes we blazed. Sometimes we would go out the way we came in, other times we would just go to the end of the cutoff, hang a left and then rejoin the trail we walked in on and head out from there. Sometimes we would stay the night at Osgood Tent Site. Before we had him we helped the maintainer who had the section from the Tent site up to the junction. I think it's a mile long? But at the time it had 97 water bars! Some were ones we added. No idea how many are there now as that would have been nearly 20 years ago. I didn't want to jump into this thread and say with certainty that blazing was still done in the WMNF but I know we did it when we maintained. And for those of you complaining about the blazing, adopt a section through AMC and take care of it. Here's a link to get you started. http://www.outdoors.org/volunteer/tr...pt-a-trail.cfm
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Just hiked up Madison from Valley Way yesterday. Because of this thread, I took special note of blazes on the Osgood Trail. Even the trail signs are marked with AT symbols on the short section that I hiked. Granted, it was only half mile, but the blazes and sign markers were there. Oddly enough, of the 15 or so hikers I ran into at Madison Spring hut, I was the only one to carry a map

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i walked the AT thru the whites at least 7 times. never got lost or sidetracked on another trail. i had a real map. always. still do when i walk in the woods. you folks that rely on gadgets get what you deserve
    A valid argument can be made for 100% Analog hiking.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i walked the AT thru the whites at least 7 times. never got lost or sidetracked on another trail. i had a real map. always. still do when i walk in the woods. you folks that rely on gadgets get what you deserve
    Map, what's that? I jus follow the white paint. I call it follow the popcorn hiking. Don't make things difficult. I want to turn my mind off and walk. In backpacking/hiking the less I have to think about things or be personally responsible for my hike the better the hike.

And we wonder why the AT, PCT, and JMT are over run with the CDT sure soon to follow. Hey HYOH right. That's BS when personal accountability is excluded.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Map, what's that? I jus follow the white paint. I call it follow the popcorn hiking. Don't make things difficult. I want to turn my mind off and walk. In backpacking/hiking the less I have to think about things or be personally responsible for my hike the better the hike.

And we wonder why the AT, PCT, and JMT are over run with the CDT sure soon to follow. Hey HYOH right. That's BS when personal accountability is excluded.
    Do you hike? I know you haven't thru hiked the AT so that makes you a talking head
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++