WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water supplies between Unicoi Gap and Fontana Dam

I hit the trail on Friday and was wondering how the water supplies are between Unicoi Gap and Fontana Dam. Also are there any shelters that I need to steer clear of while backpacking? Thanks for your help guys!

Be prepared for hot weather and lower than normal water sources. I live in Atlanta and this is one of the hottest summers so far in recent memory.

I was on the AT last weekend and my normal water sources were either totally dry or barely flowing.

I would definitely bring a large bladder or several water bottles.

Carl

Water will be LOW. I would have 6 liters of capacity and carry 3 at least at all times.

As for bad shelters, I would avoid Rock Gap shelter (if it is even open, a tree fell on it earlier this year- haven't heard if it was reopened yet). It is extremely close to a road and is used as a party shelter, and has terrible rodent problems as a result.

Wow. I didn't think that the water sources would be that scarce. I will definitely plan for it. I was just going to bring 4 liters holding capacity, maybe 6 would be better. Good call on the shelter. I am trying to avoid that crowd while out on the trail.

I did Wayah Gap to the NOC about four weeks ago. Water was no problem. However, we (western NC) has been in the beginning stages of a drought and have gotten little rain lately. Plus, as noted, it's been a hot summer so far.

I thought the tree that fell at Rock Gap only took out the covered eating area? The rest of the shelter was OK. At least that's what I've heard. No first hand experience. Good luck with your hike.

Awesome. Thanks Daddytwosticks. Being from Mississippi I am a little more accustomed to the heat and humidity but you are right, it will make it a little more interesting. I appreciate the response. It doesn't look like I will be stopping at Rock Gap overnight. It also looks like I will have a wet trip with all the predicted thunderstorms heading your way.

I'm doing a similar hike from Woody gap to unicoi. I have a 7 year old so we only go ~5 miles per day.

Can anyone comment on water at:
    Woods hole
    Bull gap
    Low gap
    Blue mountain

Thanks!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by punchcard View Post
    I'm doing a similar hike from Woody gap to unicoi. I have a 7 year old so we only go ~5 miles per day.

Can anyone comment on water at:
    Woods hole
    Bull gap
    Low gap
    Blue mountain

Thanks!
    There are a lot of water sources on the AT both marked in books and unmarked. It's impossible to tell you without going to each one if they are usable. I carry about 1.5L at all times and had no problems finding water in April which was a dry month along the AT in GA/NC. I was even saved a few times with trickle sources at higher elevations.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I did Wayah Gap to the NOC about four weeks ago. Water was no problem. However, we (western NC) has been in the beginning stages of a drought and have gotten little rain lately. Plus, as noted, it's been a hot summer so far.

I thought the tree that fell at Rock Gap only took out the covered eating area? The rest of the shelter was OK. At least that's what I've heard. No first hand experience. Good luck with your hike.
    The tree fell on the shelter and destroyed it (with hikers inside). Luckily, nobody was hurt. The shelter has been rebuilt as of 4/20/16, but the site was in disarray and one of the worst shelters I passed through.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    There are a lot of water sources on the AT both marked in books and unmarked. It's impossible to tell you without going to each one if they are usable. I carry about 1.5L at all times and had no problems finding water in April which was a dry month along the AT in GA/NC. I was even saved a few times with trickle sources at higher elevations.
    My trouble is I'm moving at a very slow pace due to my 7 yo son. So my water encounters are very limited. The locations I mentioned above are daily stops.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by punchcard View Post
    My trouble is I'm moving at a very slow pace due to my 7 yo son. So my water encounters are very limited. The locations I mentioned above are daily stops.
    I'd have your son carry 1.5L for himself. Woods Hole has a source about .2 before the shelter. Low Gap has a creek running through the shelter area. There's water at Neel Gap and a marked spring a mile after. Blue Mountain has several marked sources 2 miles before and after the mountain. I think you'll be fine, but carry extra water until you survey and confirm.

If anyone is interested. I updated the comments in guthooks app. We had to seriously camel up (10 extra liters across 5 people) one day due to low water.

Normally this shouldn't be a problem but our pace was pretty slow.

++ New Posts ++