WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why do you think you were able to complete a thru?

There is a thread going on about why people quit- so I am wondering- what do you think are reasons or factors that contributed to you successfully competing a thru hike? For me- it was my need to do it. I needed the challenge for many reasons. And I have a high threshold for pain. And I had a very supportive family. I wanted to do the whole thing.
    To be clear- I have a high respect for section hikers, and my hiking in the future will be in sections- no matter which trail I choose.

Images

I believe there were three main reasons.
    1) I love walking.
    2) I am very goal oriented.
    3) I was realitive experienced with a couple thousand miles of very similar hiking prior to my thru.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

What Malto said.

I will say thru-hiking Vermont's Long Trail the year before was extremely helpful.

A three-week thru-hike was far more helpful that anything I've read about online or in books or the typical "It is all mental. Anyone can do it. Go for it! " feel good tripe usually given out as advice.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Garlic
    Images

Malto nailed it for me, too, Number one is definitely loving to walk--REALLY loving to walk. And there are certain people who just like, or need, to finish what they start.

Being able to sustain one's health over a long season with proper diet, sleep, skin care, and clothing is where prior hiking experience comes in. Ditto gear selection and field repair.

As Yogi Berra said, 90% of the game is half mental.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Some folks are quitters and others aren't. You can always find an excuse.

Adding to what Malto already said have always been a curious fan of Nature, diversity, being outside whenever, and behavior. Since being a 4 yr old child have always exhibited a high degree of adaptability and wiliness to consider and contribute to other's welfares. Have always embraced adventuring to new places, meeting new people, putting myself in new environments, and overcoming new challenges that all these entail. I thrive on it. Thought a 2200 mile hike through 14 states provided infinite opps to practice such attributes. Solution mindedness rather than having a complaining ungrateful mindset. Took on the trail mindset "this too shall pass." Applied Sly's notion that thru-hiking is about so much more than hiking. It broke up the 2200 miles and activity of hiking with so many other things which kept me always interested in a life quest for knowledge and wisdom.

I wanted to be better; do better. Here it was Amicalola Falls SP.

In Maine Tigger, another thru-hiker, said a thru-hike can be the most healthiest, self actualizing, mind expanding, diversifying, sobering, ways to contribute, and gratifying experiences one can have. He's right. Always knew it in my heart and soul with every step of the AT journey as the soles of my feet anchored into the core of the earth and spirit soared into the heavens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Adding to what Malto already said have always been a curious fan of Nature, diversity, being outside whenever, and behavior. Since being a 4 yr old child have always exhibited a high degree of adaptability and wiliness to consider and contribute to other's welfares. Have always embraced adventuring to new places, meeting new people, putting myself in new environments, and overcoming new challenges that all these entail. I thrive on it. Thought a 2200 mile hike through 14 states provided infinite opps to practice such attributes. Solution mindedness rather than having a complaining ungrateful mindset. Took on the trail mindset "this too shall pass." Applied Sly's notion that thru-hiking is about so much more than hiking. It broke up the 2200 miles and activity of hiking with so many other things which kept me always interested in a life quest for knowledge and wisdom.
    Man, that sounds like it ought to have earned you a Nobel Peace prize, at the very least.

Journal Entries
    Images

My reason for completing my thru-hike was self satisfaction. I was 66 years old and when I started I had vary little reason to believe that I could walk the required 2000+ miles. Once my body got into "trail shape" I started to enjoy the freedom a thru-hike gives. I had a wife and family back home giving me the support that was needed to succeed.
    Grampie-N->2001

1. Pre-training/ Conditioning/ Weight loss - body & pack
    2. Hiked my own hike/avoided people where possible.
    3. Priority was the destination and not the journey. The challenge for me kept me focused and fired up.

1. I allowed myself enough time (6 months plus)
    2) I had adequate funds
    3) I love being in wild places.
    4) I knew that the farther north I got the better things would be (scenery wise)
    5) I left with the mind set that there was no way I would end my trip in Dixie. Plus, by the time I got out of Dixie.. I had come too far to quit now!

Journal Entries
    Images

I posted this bit of philosophy from a best selling business book some years ago. I googled it up again to see if I would still think that Admiral Stockdale's wisdom still applies to thru hiking success.

http://jobtransition.net/wp-content/...d-To-Great.pdf

I think it does apply.

It resonated with me, anyway.

One group of hikers that seems to have a remarkable success rate are those that travel with Warren Doyle's so-called expeditions. While the differences between those hikers and a traditional thru hike are many, his success rate statistics are so off-the-chart high that "something is going on".

I don't have a great deal to base this on, but I would bet that Doyle fosters Admiral Stockdale's philosophy with in his circle's from day one.

Worth pondering?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I posted this bit of philosophy from a best selling business book some years ago. I googled it up again to see if I would still think that Admiral Stockdale's wisdom still applies to thru hiking success.

http://jobtransition.net/wp-content/...d-To-Great.pdf

I think it does apply.

It resonated with me, anyway.

One group of hikers that seems to have a remarkable success rate are those that travel with Warren Doyle's so-called expeditions. While the differences between those hikers and a traditional thru hike are many, his success rate statistics are so off-the-chart high that "something is going on".

I don't have a great deal to base this on, but I would bet that Doyle fosters Admiral Stockdale's philosophy with in his circle's from day one.

Worth pondering?
    I can really relate to this as an optimist. I remember on the PCT in Tahoe, I believe we were done with the snow. A hiker that I was with at the time said we would have snow all the way to the Canadian border. He was right and as a pessimist he was very likely pleasantly surprised on the handful of days that were snow free.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Just guessing a bit about Doyle and his group hikes, but they were highly "supported" hikes. And a whole lot of pre-selection going on. He went out of his way to create group cohesion, with all that implies.

From what I've seen, factors for success:

1. Having a truly dedicated, compatible, and totally understanding partner or group of friends. Most groups on the trail are volatile, but the ones that hold together yield real benefits.

2. A mindset that simply won't countenance "failure." I see that in a lot of journals. I never really had that. For me, hiking is just a recreation and if it ceases to be fun or rewarding, I'm outta here. Come back when the weather's better, or when my attitude's improved.

3. A light heart. Being able to shrug off and smile through disappointment, discomfort, deprivation, etc. That's the part I had to learn, over time, and I'm still working on it.

I'll never understand the mentality that a trail is something to be finished and hung on a wall like a trophy...as far as the AT goes, that's a far cry from its original intent.

Thank you for mentioning the extraordinary high completion rates for the AT Circle Expedition. Even the last expedition, which was a non-circle expedition, had 11 out of the 12 who started finish.

As was mentioned by someone previously, my doing the Long Trail in 1972 certainly helped me complete my first AT hike in 1973.

It is all about proper pre-hike preparation - getting advice from someone with a good track record. College Basketball (men) - have a seance with John Wooden; (women) spend a few days with Geno.

and "One must know the end to be convinced that one must win the end." (Mallory)
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'll never understand the mentality that a trail is something to be finished and hung on a wall like a trophy...as far as the AT goes, that's a far cry from its original intent.
    The AT's original intent was merely one man's notion, and he's long since dead. Ideas and intentions die, new ones come along. Everyone carries his or her own definitions. I'm just thankful Mr. MacKaye had enough foresight to create something lasting, so that we could all decide what it means to us in our own special ways.

It shouldn't be too difficult to understand this trophy mentality since it's completely ingrained into US culture. You're nothing if you're not successful! It's driven by all the usual factors (the Jonses, status, accomplishment, self-worth, ego, history, and so on). We feel worthy when we've done something special or unique or difficult.

When it comes to long trails I certainly fall for this mentality (as does nearly every thru-hiker I've met, especially those reaching to attain the 'Triple Crown,' or those, for example, who post their hike resumes here on their signatures. It reeks of "Look what I've done!"

I know as soon as I've completed the length of a trail, I'm mostly saddened by the fact. And so it's onto the next one. Not necessarily to "bag them," but to experience them. After all, having done something you enjoyed is nowhere near as enjoyable as doing something you enjoy!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

There are two types of people who complete thru-hikes.
    The first is someone who loves the trail and there's no other place they would rather be. The other is too stubborn to quit.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post

It shouldn't be too difficult to understand this trophy mentality since it's completely ingrained into US culture. You're nothing if you're not successful! It's driven by all the usual factors (the Jonses, status, accomplishment, self-worth, ego, history, and so on). We feel worthy when we've done something special or unique or difficult.

When it comes to long trails I certainly fall for this mentality (as does nearly every thru-hiker I've met, especially those reaching to attain the 'Triple Crown,' or those, for example, who post their hike resumes here on their signatures. It reeks of "Look what I've done!"

Yep.
    People dont want to hike a trail untill someone officializes it.

Sierra is a huge, spectacular place, with numerous routes that can be hiked.

If it not a named route, no one cares to hike it.

Same with AT, some spend 20yrs hiking all the mundane parts, just to say they hiked ALL of it. Foregoing all the better places around the US to hike.

All about bragging....when theres no one that even cares.

Look at peoples taglines here where they list what theyve hiked. Down to the very mile occassionally. Ive even seem some list to tenth of mile...really?

Im always reminded of the phrase from winton porters book by Billy Bumblefoot:

"Miles, months, days, hours, and minutes are for those who choose to keep a scorecard in life. Son, someday you will come to know... . It ain't about the miles; it's all about the smiles."
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-22-2016 at 14:59.

It helps if you can avoid injury and malnutrition. If you get hurt or don't eat well, everything else doesn't matter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++