WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    There are two types of people who complete thru-hikes.
    The first is someone who loves the trail and there's no other place they would rather be. The other is too stubborn to quit.
    It could be that simple.

Pre hike prep is great. It lays a solid foundation. But what is pre hike prep? I observe rather clueless to backpacking AT hikers adapting along the way on their hikes finishing the hike they anticipated. Being open to expanding comfort zones, being adaptable, finding ways to overcome goes a long way in finishing hikes especially of longer and longer length.

In light of another recent thread "why did you quit your thru-hike?" and this one "why do you think you were able to complete a thru?" this was explored before in this thread. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/90482-

Characteristics-of-successful-thru-hikers was detailed in Spirit Eagle's Papers. It's a good read read detailing LD hiker mentality and general characteristics that apply this thread.

Most of the regulars in the LD hiking community well beyond the AT community exhibit a combination of a "go with the flow" mentality", planning, and regimen.

I thought about quitting in Mass. Had a crown come off one of my molars and I was in pain for several days.I told my wife on the phone i wanted to come home. She said ok but with the caveat that "you will spend the rest of your life regretting not finishing the trail". I knew in an instant that she was correct (yet again) and that advice was spot on so I got into Dalton and had the tooth fixed. I married someone way smarter than myself, which ,ay not have been a difficult feat in hindsight.

as my fellow thru hiker Tour Guide said somewhere along the way, at a certain point in the hike you get "pot committed" like you do in poker...you have so much invested in the hand that you can't fold. that comment still sticks in my mind. After you get 1,000 + miles into the thing, you are pot committed. You have to see the thing through.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Yep.
    Ive even seem some list to tenth of mile...really?
    I'm only a 279.6 miler! I'll never be as good as a thru hiker, damn it! My life has no meaning.

I think LW's thing he always says- when fantasy meets reality- is the biggest factor. When I started I had never backpacked before. I had a fantasy that I had nurtured and grown for about 30 years- a fantasy that involved swimming holes and rope swings and views galore. A fantasy that was confirmed by youtube Reality takes a swing at you within the first few days and it is one hell of a wake up call- especially if you are out of shape and overweight like I was. Adopting a one day at a time mentality is crucial I think- not painting the entire experience with one bad moment.
    When I go back and read my journal I am amazed at all of the falls and hard days and discomfort I experienced.. but I really loved it. I have to read about the hard stuff to even remember it because in hindsight the reality has turned back into the fantasy.

Marriage is supposed to be a life-long deal but many (what, 50%) aren't. No simple answers for why marriage succeeds or fails. Same with thru hikes. Yeah, I see a lot of parallels.

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    When I go back and read my journal I am amazed at all of the falls and hard days and discomfort I experienced.. but I really loved it. I have to read about the hard stuff to even remember it because in hindsight the reality has turned back into the fantasy.
    a female thru hiker friend once compared a thru hike to being pregnant...when you are in the middle of both, you swear that you will never ever do it again. but over time, the discomfort and pain are forgotten and only the good memories remain. Although I have never been pregnant, that comment stuck with me and I can relate to it. When I was thru hiking, i can remember telling myself that if I ever got to Maine and climbed Mt K., I would never set foot on a trail again. However, i have done 2-6 week section hikes(some on the AT, some on other trails) every year since. And love it! although I miss getting into real trail shape that months of continuous hiking provides.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Marriage is supposed to be a life-long deal but many (what, 50%) aren't. No simple answers for why marriage succeeds or fails. Same with thru hikes. Yeah, I see a lot of parallels.
    No one whining, nagging or b1tching, yeh totally agree!

Journal Entries

1 I was destined to walk this path and it was foretold many times that I would and complete it, It was also needed to start the second half of my life.

2 I am a very obedient 'child' of the AT, open to her teachings and guidance, wanting and willing to learn her ways, and as such I was greatly blessed and supported and loved along the way which is very encouraging and what I needed.

3 As opposed to goal oriented, I am faith oriented, Sensing and knowing I am at the right place and time and knowing that the path will get me exactly where I need to be (in that Katahdin was not a goal, just a sign that I was on the path which continued way past Katahdin - this was revealed to me as I got there - the journey continues to this day), but there were many 'goals' revealed to me along the way, I just have to look for the signs at the moment, make sure I am on the right path (also looking for signs that I am at the right place in time) and just need to take the next step and everything is and will be provided for me.

Because I didn't get bored...

I had no prior hiking experience other than training hikes before I started but I think that also helped my attitude as I had no expectations. I don't mind being outside or disgusting so that's a plus. I had enough savings to overcome the learning curve of the trail. In my case, switching from trying to eat cereal with powdered milk to oatmeal and getting my own hotel room in Hiawassee(sp?) to catch up on sleep because I had been too lazy to sleep on my kitchen floor before I left to realize my arm was going to fall asleep five minutes after I did every time I tried to sleep as a side sleeper.

I found I didn't like being in town two out of every three days to resupply but enjoyed spending a night in town every fourth or fifth day to clean up and put some weight back on. I also figured out what was causing me to have a bad day and avoid that again in the future.

Being in shape from the start also helped as it allowed me to adapt more easily and overcome obstacles if I needed to get to town a day earlier than planned. if necessary and to finish in under 4 1/2 months. I also found wisdom in other hikers advice. Most of the days that suck will be reflected on fondly. They only suck the day you're living them.

The biggest mistake I see dreamer's making is starting too early because they want to beat the summer heat in a couple of months when they are not prepared for the cold at the start. By the time it got hot I was used to being sweaty or wet from rain and it wasn't a big deal. But the idea of sitting around a shelter or alone in my tent when its in the 20s or 30s after having only hiked for four or five hours does not sound like fun to me. And that's before considering hiknig through snow or cold rain or hiding out in town for it to pass.

I'm sorry, there's some sickness here actuallly...

I met so many Nbound thrus in Maine who seemed to hate the trail, and only talked about how many more days they had, and what they were going to eat. They were miserable and wanted to be done.

Joyless, desperate hiking is nothing to celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I'm sorry, there's some sickness here actuallly...

I met so many Nbound thrus in Maine who seemed to hate the trail, and only talked about how many more days they had, and what they were going to eat. They were miserable and wanted to be done.

Joyless, desperate hiking is nothing to celebrate.
    thats insane, in the truest sense, I'd 've drug-up.

Some people can't handle thier disappointments, so they suffer and spin it till it becomes a reality, wow that's really living.

Simple I have to make it all the way this time or I never will.
    I would have to carry the regret for the rest of my life and,
    that's a lot harder the carrying 35Lb. for 3 months.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I've read several thru-hiker trail journals that said exactly the same thing. Rushing through Maine, one of the most gorgeous and scenic parts of the AT, hating every step, just to reach the sign on top of Katahdin. Reading those journals made me sad every time.
    It's all good in the woods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++