WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Easy AT section in NY/NJ for inexperienced hiker

I'm looking for a recommendation for an easy section hike to try with my girlfriend. I've hiked all the trail but can't remember which section would be easiest in NY/NJ.

I'm willing to try trails off the AT as well, but I'm trying to use public transportation if possible. I'm mostly trying to avoid trail sections that have big rock scrambles as my gf twisted her ankle last time. obviously all trails are rocky up here but looking for something comparatively gentle.

I was thinking about the kittatinny range between highpoint and del water gap but that's a bit too long a section for a beginner (70 miles) and the logistics are a bit harder.

We tried wawayanda to bear mountain but had to bail at rt17 because it was too cold for her to sleep comfortably. I'd try that section again now that it's warmer but, iirc, its kind of rugged, which makes me worried.

Any recommendations in the area, on or off the AT, would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tron-Life View Post
    I'm looking for a recommendation for an easy section hike to try with my girlfriend. I've hiked all the trail but can't remember which section would be easiest in NY/NJ.

I'm willing to try trails off the AT as well, but I'm trying to use public transportation if possible. I'm mostly trying to avoid trail sections that have big rock scrambles as my gf twisted her ankle last time. obviously all trails are rocky up here but looking for something comparatively gentle.

I was thinking about the kittatinny range between highpoint and del water gap but that's a bit too long a section for a beginner (70 miles) and the logistics are a bit harder.

We tried wawayanda to bear mountain but had to bail at rt17 because it was too cold for her to sleep comfortably. I'd try that section again now that it's warmer but, iirc, its kind of rugged, which makes me worried.

Any recommendations in the area, on or off the AT, would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    culver's gap to high point

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool Here's some info

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    culver's gap to high point
    Agree, almost anywhere on the Kittatinny ridge. Or DWG to Culver Gap... No steep climbs, easy grades. A little rock action here and there.

Great suggestions so far, thanks. I forgot that the kittatinny range is 40 miles not 70, NJ is 70 total, I think. Kittatinny might be the best choice, but I forget if there is a bus in Sloatsburg, or whatever that town near DWG is called.

My other concern is that we will be going very slow, probably 5 miles a day, so hitting water at steady intervals might be tough.

More suggestions would be great, thanks again!

Great suggestions so far, thanks. I forgot that the kittatinny range is 40 miles not 70, NJ is 70 total, I think. Kittatinny might be the best choice, but I forget if there is a bus in Sloatsburg, or whatever that town near DWG is called.

My other concern is that we will be going very slow, probably 5 miles a day, so hitting water at steady intervals might be tough.

Yeah, 44 miles more or less from DWG to High Point. That's what I think of as the Kittatinny.

Water can be had at Sunfish Pond or Mohican Outdoor Center, along the southern section. Or a stream crossing just north of MOC. Also at Culver Gap and the shelter just south of there.

I'd be a little concerned about the slow pace, if only because of the camping restrictions. In any case -- this time of year, with the heat we're having, I'd carry no less than 2-3 liters up there.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I'd be a little concerned about the slow pace, if only because of the camping restrictions.
    There appears to be 4 campsites along the ridge between the DWG and High Point and between shelters. All but one has water near-by, but the quality might be iffy. This would be the easiest section to do. Once you climb up out the water gap, it's really easy.

Once past High Point, AWOL doesn't list any campsites, I believe from there on (and all the way up to Vermont) your required to stay only at designated sites.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

High Point to Vernon is about as easy as you can get on the whole trail.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Images

Or DWG to Culver Gap...
    his gf will kill him when she sees the shore of sunfish pond.

his gf will kill him when she sees the shore of sunfish pond.
    ? ? ? Not sure I get it...

Images

? ? ? Not sure I get it...

in the original post-

"I'm mostly trying to avoid trail sections that have big rock scrambles as my gf twisted her ankle last time."

Journal Entries

Towns near DWG AT: Stroudsburg (PA), Columbia (NJ), Delaware Water Gap (PA)

in the original post-

"I'm mostly trying to avoid trail sections that have big rock scrambles as my gf twisted her ankle last time."
    Hmm. I dunno, I was havin' a good day, one of my best ever, I remember lots of detail from that day, but no serious scrambles. Just goes to show...

Registered User displacedbeatnik's Avatar

The shoreline of Sunfish Pond is completely rocks. There is literally no dirt for three quarters of a mile.
    AT Leapfrogging in 2016i (Central Virginia next) http://walkinghometodc.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by displacedbeatnik View Post
    The shoreline of Sunfish Pond is completely rocks. There is literally no dirt for three quarters of a mile.
    I don't remember it being that bad. But then, I had just finished PA and nothing is as bad as PA.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It was a Sunday, I think. I remember...
    - stealth camped the night before somewhere north of MOC
    - missed MOC, had hoped to get water there
    - desperately low on water, had to yogi some, up on the ridge
    - what, Sunfish Pond is only 2 more miles?
    - artsy cairns & rock sculptures at the pond
    - an old woman doing trail maintenance, trimming shrubs by the pond
    - colorful kayaks on the river
    - a Jazz Festival at DWG (good food!) right on the trail

... but no rock scrambling, or what I'd call "scrambling"

Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy Yeah -- I forgot those

I remember the rock scrambles along the shores of Sunfish Pond all too well. Nasty.
    http://i.imgur.com/uCyDCU6.jpg
    Prepare ahead and see if there's any way to walk around them. If not, this may not meet your needs.

Images

Hmm. I dunno, I was havin' a good day, one of my best ever, I remember lots of detail from that day, but no serious scrambles. Just goes to show...

well its not a scramble really but its a twsited ankle waiting to happen for an absolute certainty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't remember it being that bad. But then, I had just finished PA and nothing is as bad as PA.

its brief (might not even be 3/4 of a mile) but there is a stretch on the shore of the pond thats every bit as bad as the worst of PA

well its not a scramble really but its a twsited ankle waiting to happen for an absolute certainty
    I think that description applies to something like 50% of Jersey and a larger percentage of PA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++